St Luke's bid for Graves Park / Norton Nurseries

Do you support St Luke's bid?  

486 members have voted

1. 1. Do you support St Luke's bid?

• Yes
    • No

While being 110% a supporter of St Lukes it's hard not to help feeling this could be pushed through because of the type of organisation that wants the land, regardless of how right or wrong the idea is. Now, right near us is a piece of ground that was owned by a man who ran the little factory by the big tree. After he died we believe it was left to St Lukes and sure enough within a year or two there was an application on behalf of 'St Lukes Nursing Home' to build 32 flats on it. These were the typical thing you see now - 3 stories - but the problem is they were to be sited within 10 metres of the back walls of existing houses. The buildings would have dominated the surrounding houses and the flats would have directly overlooked tiny backyard gardens without any plans for screening. We fought against the plans on a number of counts - invasion of privacy, destruction of green space, uneccessary urbanisation etc... but it was a tricky time knowing we were fighting against an applicant that would get a lot of sympathy (e.g. because of the financial boost they would get to carry on their good work) no matter what the rights or wrongs of the project. Putting two and two together I think if they do get the Norton site they will need money and they have a piece of valuable land sitting unused at the moment. Wouldn't be suprised if the application is submitted again and perhaps even more aggressively this time and if the council can ignore covenants at Graves Park they'll certainly roughride us. The fall out from this could affect a lot more people I reckon.

I was appalled - but not surprised - to see that the Council want to flog off part of Graves Park.

They are very good at treating parks as if they belong to the Council, and not the people.

When they wanted to build the First Start Building in Firth Park, and do away with existing floral gardens, etc, lots of local people objected. But we were told that, as well as housing First Start, the building would provide facilties for local community groups and also house some much-needed youth provision.

But guess what? There's no youth provision! What a surprise - instead they're filling up the building with community nurses, etc, who used to be based at the local doctor's surgery.

They lied to us, so they cannot be trusted with any of Sheffield's parks. It's obviously a very cynical move on their part to want to sell the land to St Luke's, because they know the hospice does a great job and has a lot of support. They probably thought that nobody would object for fear of looking like they had something against St Luke's.

At the suggestion of Nick Williams, Friends of Graves Park, I have sent a letter addressed to ALL Sheffield City Councillors, protesting about the proposal. I sent it via e-mail to firstpoint@sheffield.gov.uk. I'm not sure that sending it via e-mail will work, but thought it worth a go. I'll certainly kick up a stink if I find the Councillors don't receive it.

I suggest anybody else who feels strongly about this also sends a letter - the Council can be beaten, if enough people shout long and hard enough.

End of my first ever post!! :rant:

Dozy

I live very near to Graves Park and the Norton Nurseries and can think of no better use for that land than to relocate St Lukes Hospice there. What better environment for patients and families of the terminally ill than Graves Park? I think the ongoing battle between Friends of Graves Park and Sheffield council is getting in the way of what would be an excellent site for the hospice.

My nan passed away in St Lukes and i will be forever in their debt but personal feelings cant get in the way. Its not the wonderful staff, nurses and doctors who want to move and make a quick £ or 2. Its the businessman in charge.

Hmmm, difficult one.

My next door neighbour is a nurse at St Lukes.

She says the place is not big enough to provide the service they want to, hence the proposed move.

The problem occurs with the fact that the land was gifted to the council, same as Hillsborough Park. See here about parking.

If this gets though planning, the council will have to give the land away, not sell it, because they can't. However, the land that is underneath the current St Lukes is a different matter. That could then be sold.

A double edged sword.

The hospice wants to expand, the council wants the land it is built on, and can GIVE the land in the park to St Lukes without payment. But we loose the park space it would be built on.

Good for the hospice, good on them, but the motives are economical from the council.

Myself and my dog are massive fans of Graves Park, and very worried about this proposal & the effects it may have. :suspect:

Could anyone clarify for me the exact area that they are planning to use for this development?

The only map I can find is this one - are there any better maps available?

I just want to make sure I know exactly what part of the park will be lost if this goes ahead?

I live very near to Graves Park and the Norton Nurseries and can think of no better use for that land than to relocate St Lukes Hospice there. What better environment for patients and families of the terminally ill than Graves Park? I think the ongoing battle between Friends of Graves Park and Sheffield council is getting in the way of what would be an excellent site for the hospice.

I can fully understand your view of 'what a lovely location for a hospice'...but the point is if planning was given for one public building how long before more come along...:rolleyes:

If someone came along and built a hospice on your land just because their fancied it as a nice location I am sure you would not be so keen about it.

Graves Park belongs to the people of Sheffield not the council!!

I sincerely hope it doesn't get the go ahead.

The land they want to build on at the moment is just a collection of greenhouses and out buildings, they arent exactly attractive.

St Lukes have beautiful grounds which from what I understand will be recreated wherever they re-locate. Therefore as far as I can see it will improve the park.

I cannot see how it can damage the park? If they were going to build on Rose Garden Cafe, or on the bowling greens, or tennis courts I could understand the uproar?

From what I have read about JG Graves I think he would have been delighted for that land to be used by St Lukes hospice.

I think this is a really difficult one. I don't think anyone should be allowed to build on our parkland, however it is a worthy cause.

however it is a worthy cause.

And thats the ace up the councils sleeve.

They do seem to have picked on something here that is bound to tug at everyone's heart strings - still not convinced it is the right thing to do, but very emotive - especially to everyone out there who has been unfortunate enough to have a loved one at St Lukes, either now or in the past.

Does any one know where the "proposed road" will go? Could it be the park entrance on Norton Park View?

I have written to one of our local councillors but have not yet had a reply.

What are the bus services like to Norton Nurseries, I believe there are fairly frequent buses to Dore which go past the top footpath entrance to St Lukes. Surely a site with good public transport links would be better for both visitors and staff.