St Luke's bid for Graves Park / Norton Nurseries

Do you support St Luke's bid?  

486 members have voted

1. 1. Do you support St Luke's bid?

• Yes
    • No

the city council want to move st luke into graves park

the hospice would take the entire area occupied by the nursery along with the reclaimed ecological area plus further land from the park. A new road would bring unwelcome traffic to the area using a new road exiting through the housing estate.

also further development involving 2 other hospices relocating to the site and requiring further loss of public parkland

full story here

http://www.gravespark.fsnet.co.uk/

OMG that is disgusting :( Graves Park would be ruined, i have many happy memories from there and i was hoping to involve my son in making a few new ones, not going to be able to if they relocate a hospice there.

I thought they'd moved it to Beighton? Near Damons. Must be something else.

There is a St Lukes annexe at Beighton community hospital. Its a small annexe which is used mainly for patient respite care though.

As for moving the main hospice to Graves Park, never mind the park...what about all the people whove given hours and hours of their time to raise money for SL's grounds through sponsored events?

The thousands of pounds that have been raised through hard work to landscape the beautiful gardens and surrounds of the hospice! My hubby died in there and, to be able to walk out onto the balcony and sit amongst the flowers for a few minutes on those lonely vigils in the last few days, was a godsend.

Im sure if the move does happen that the gardens will be lovely there also, but it just seems like a smack in the face to me for all those whove given their time and effort. I, for one, hope St Lukes stays where it is.

what about all the people whove given hours and hours of their time to raise money for SL's grounds through sponsored events?

I'm sure that they are very grateful, along with all those who received care at St Luke's.

I understand that they have a new Chief Executive who has realised that St Luke's sits on very high value building land, and they intend to realise that value and move to somewhere cheaper and purpose built.

It's probably the best thing in the long run but there will be lots of memories that go along with the old site.

Apparently the council gave an undertaking that when the nursery closed, the land would be landscaped and added to the park as it was part of the original gift of J.G. Graves. They then tried to sell it for development but the Friends of Graves Park fought them and won. So now they're trying to get St. Luke's to move there, probably on the basis that the Friends wouldn't want to be seen to oppose a hospice that is so well liked by the people of Sheffield. And another public open space goes.

Something smells fishy here.

Hmmmmmmmmm....yeh right. lol. APRIL FOOL.

No i don't think this is an April Fool :loopy:

This was posted prior to 01/04 and other threats to graves park have been 'very real'... :o

We need to ensure no buildings whether public or private are erected on this parkland!

:rant:

This is a difficult one.The Friends of Graves Park are owed a debt of gratitude from all Sheffielders in stopping the bunch of money-grabbing lackey friends of property developers....sorry I meant our elected our "representatives".... from flogging the nurseries at Graves Park

Unfortunately the same lackey's have allowed the nurseries to fall into neglect as a result of penny-pinching (anyone remember the super Festival of Britain glasshouse in Weston Park?)

Anyone who has read the propoals of St Lukes CEO, a trained nurse and lover of gardens, anyone who's had relatives cared for by St Lukes (and it could be any of us one day) may think that there is some merit in the proposals and that Alderman Graves may not actually be turning in his grave at the thought of it.