Did anyone live in Earnshaw hall/Endcliffe cresent?

I lived in Earnshaw hall when I was in my first year at university. I have fond memories of the place as it was where I met my husband. Did anyone live here before it was demolished to make way for what is now the Endcliffe student village? What memories to people have?

I lived in Earnshaw hall In the late 60s and it really was a great place with some great characters.

---------- Post added 01-08-2015 at 15:01 ----------

I lived in Earnshaw Hall in the late 60s and it was an excellent hall of residence with some great characters.

When were you there? My OH was a porter there from 1994 till 2006. He says it was the best place he ever worked because everybody was so friendly.

I was in Earnshaw from 1966 - 1968. Your OH was quite right, everyone was really kind and helpful there - especially the tutors. A few years ago, I was visiting a local horticultural shop and I met the owners wife who had worked in the canteen - it really is a small world. I was astonished to see that the hall has now been demolished. There used to be an Earnshaw Association, but I am not sure whether it still exists.

Hi, is anyone still subscribing to this page? I am very late to this party. I lived in Earnshaw in 1990. Shame it's been demolished but not too bothered about Sorby

Edited by Samantha Willia
auto correct

Even later to the party!

The Earnshaw Association, as such, no longer exists but we do have reunion dinners annually (at the moment - Covid-19 permitting).

There is a website for "Old Earnshavians" at www.oldearnshavians.x10host.com

I did from 1999-2000. Had a really nice room overlooking the trees and pond. Primitive by student standards today, but as an 18 year old unleashed from mother it was heaven.  I remember the cleaning lady, Eileen, liked me, because my room was always tidy. I was shocked at the absolute **** state some of the others were in! 

Was annoying when drunks would get back and decide to put loud music on, or when no one cleaned the shared kitchen. Just meant for snacks of course, as we had the michelin star facility  that was the Earnshaw Hall dining room. 

Remember in Freshers week having a toga party!

I spent hundreds of hours repairing the fire alarm system after "high spirited" students 1976-2005

Alex/biker.

I don't know if you have visited the Old Earnshavians website but its content is almost exclusively from the 60s and 70s (not counting the reunion dinners). At that time, many people spent all three years of their degree degree courses living in Earnshaw. I was "evicted" when the policy changed to give priority to first and final year students and had changed courses so was just going into my second year.

We'd be delighted to receive any contributions from more recent residents.