Dog walker/pet sitter needed

Thinking of getting a dog but 3 days a week am at work going out at 8 and back at 6 so not sure if having a dog would be a good idea, or what help we would need. Any info/ advice would be most welcome

Hiya, I'd say maybe this time round a puppy would be too much. They need a lot of attention & training so you need to be totally committed. Having said that if you are going to get a dog be really sure it's the right decision & the other really important thing is your choice of dog.You could visit the rescue centres, asks loads of questions, maybe even take one of their dogs out for a walk a few times to see if it's for you. Take the dog to places other dog walkers go & talk to them.

Maybe go for a rescue dog that is calm & well trained, it will give you a good easy introduction rather than a full on dog.

I wouldn't worry about the days you are working as long as you are prepared to 'day board' your dog with a dog walker. They say a dog shouldn't be left more than 4 hours. Some people follow that rule, some don't. Me? I don't like my dog on her own for more than 5 hours.

I day board my dog for £13 Well worth the money.

I think the 2 most important things are: Choose the right dog for you. If you don't bond with your dog you won't enjoy him/her. The other is to realise the commitment you have to give. They are a bit like children :-)

There are plenty of dog walkers in Sheffield, certainly where I live. Some I would happily leave my dog with & others I wouldn't go anywhere near, ever. You are a long way from researching that yet but something to bare in mind.

I hope that's helped?

I do day boarding. I walk the dogs twice daily and they are free to play or sleep in between times. I have gardens of over an acre for them to play in. I charge £13 per day and am open from 6.30 am to 6.30 pm , later or earlier can be arranged. I also home board when you are away. I am fully licensed, insured and CRB checked.

There's always a way around these things, just make sure you pick a suitable dog in terms of age, breed/type and temperament. A rescue dog in foster might be a good way to go as they'd know the dog well.

We have a lurcher and she seems ok to snooze most of the day while we're out.

It's hard work though making sure she's well exercised first thing in the morning and after work. It can also cause a problem if both myself and my partner want to go out after work (one of us would have to take time off work to accommodate).

A dog walker to split the day up is a great idea and wouldn't be too expensive for just 3 days a week.

At the end of the day no one getting a dog can guarantee what their personal situation will be with regards to working hours, relationships, housing etc for the 10-15 year lifespan of their dog, you've just got to do the best you can. A lot of people might say you shouldn't have a dog, they'll say they're ok to have one because they work from home or whatever..... but should their job change (who keeps the same job for 15 years nowadays?) I doubt they'd be giving up their dog. Plus surely being alone in a comfy warm house for a few hours at a time is better than being PTS or being stuck in a concrete kennel alone for 23 hours a day. So ignore them basically, they are idiots.

I don't see why you shouldn't get a dog just because you work. As long as you're prepared to pay a dog walker/boarder for the days you're out all day.

I'm lucky. I've got my mum living just around the corner from me so she walks my dog on days that I'm at work.