Dog walker/pet sitter needed

NobodysHome, please be aware that if you offer your services to be employed as a pet sitter or dog walker people will expect you to have the relevant insurance for holding people's keys, for the animals whilst in your care and also that you have a current CRB check that you can show. It is probably also illegal to have regular employment at your age.

Medusa, Please Accept the fact i allready thought of that... Which i do have insurance for regular employment, I Also Have Insurance via the school To help with jobs. It is legal if its nothing to do with shelters or homes for animals. If its A House Where the Homeowners Are Willing To Employ You, Its Legal :)

I did my research..

Who did you use for your insurance as a pet sitter at home? It isn't cheap to get good insurance to do this and I am suprised a company would give you insurance for that only being 13.

My school organised it :S

but they said i can use it until im 16 for jobs

yes but thats only for work experience!!! i have pupils from various schools doing work experience and this is one fact i am sure of , you need to be 14 and supervised , These are the rules, which school are you at? , i deal with 4 different schools and one college.

yes but thats only for work experience!!! i have pupils from various schools doing work experience and this is one fact i am sure of , you need to be 14 and supervised , These are the rules, which school are you at? , i deal with 4 different schools and one college.

Thats Not neccisarily True.. Im not even doing work experience

:loopy::confused:

And wont be for anuva year

I asked One of my teachers And he confirmed It is for any job.

To be honest NobodysHome i think maybe you need to look at your attitude a little bit!

People wanting to employ you will want to clarify these points and you need to be willing to discuss it without being hostile or argumentative which by the way is how your posts come across. The people questioning you are people who themselves undertake the work and have spent alot of time and money in doing so, i am sure you can understand them wishing to clarify the situation :)

Spot on Adz!

You are asking people to trust you with their home and their much loved animals NobodysHome, so I was offering you advice. If you don't wish to discuss that sort of thing honestly and without hostility then you are likely to find very few people prepared to trust you with their home and animals.

Those of us who are in the business Nobodyshome are just trying to make sure you have in place what you need, because if things go wrong at any time you will need to have very good insurance and a strong mature attitude to deal with it. E.g what if you were walking someone's dog and they pulled towards a cat and the lead snapped and ran off out into the road because you couldn;t control it on recall and got hit by a car. I know this could happen to anyone regardless of their age, but how as a 13 year old are you going to mentally and financially deal with the implications of that?

We walk 8 Sharpeis worth between £900 and £1200 each every day, just think how you would deal with the owner if something was to happen to one of those. You also need to know how to deal with emergency first aid situations, it is no good simply saying "Well I'd get it to a vet" because sometimes it can be those first few minutes and what you do that can make the difference between life and death for a pet enroute to the vet. Also you don't drive so would have to rely on someone coming to pick you up in such an emergency.

This isn't to put you off but to help you realise and understand just what a huge responsibility it can be.

Maybe a local vets or rescue would be willing to let you do some voluntary work helping out where you would receive excellent training and guidance with the view to looking at doing this further down the line.

Good luck

Medusa and Holidayhutch completely agree

Its a big responsibility, we walk 20 dogs aday and are key holders for many people, we have to be aware of how to care for each dog individually and deal with their owners, these are sometimes quite complicated and we have to get their needs right too!

I have phoned up the schools buisness support worker, she says you need to talk to the school as this kind of job isn't covered by the schools insurance,the jobs that are covered in the work experience is always supervised. She also doesn't know what school offers this service to its pupils.

You may be 13 NobodysHome, but you are too young to bare this kind of resposibility, and its as much for your well being as well as the animals safty and well being.

At 13 you couldn't authorise vets treatment and if you had a dog in ypur care that did need that you wouldn't be able to comply with the needs of your charges.

However if you would like to come to someone who is part of the schools work experience program feel free to apply for us , we can certainly show you what life is like as pet carers.

I don't want to knock your enthusiasum for this job , i just want to encourage you to go about this in right way , for your sake.

Nobodyshome there has been some fabulous advice here and very helpful people on this thread nothing i can add too as a pet sitter myself. please look into things properly and use your advice as help not criticism. anna.x.