Arthur Lee & Sons Ltd?

I go back about 40 of my 47 years. 1970 ish. With the Blades.

Peter Acton was commercial manager, then went down south after 30 years service as managing director of their slough stock holding Branch, Terry Early was sales i believe, Another Clive Trusswell rings a bell, Ivor Seemley as well.

Yes, I thought they were sales and I do remember Ivor Seemly and I think he was more bar sales was he not?.

I think I came across Peter Acton when we started to sell thin stainless steel from the Sundwig Mill

Does anyone remember the Dinner and Dance that they used to do at the Cutlers Hall?

Fantastic affairs and one memorable year Peter Cushing was there and also Bernard Manning, but whose jokes were very blue and I think the rest of us were embarrassed for Peter Cushing and the Lee's who clearly did not approve.

Also, what about the distribution of turkeys at Christmas?

Edited by davidstorer

Just been pasted Arthur Lees, cannot believe how much of it has been demolished all those memories and good times.:(:mad:

There was no saddness at Lee Bright Bars,Warrington being demolished,my memories are of freezing cold in Winter because of the pathetic heating system,poor equiptment,and the ever pathetic bonus system.

There was no saddness at Lee Bright Bars,Warrington being demolished,my memories are of standing at a machine freezing cold in Winter because the heating system was hopeless,radiators twelve feet off the ground,when any schoolboy knows heat rises.Fumes from the furnaces,ie.burnt oil fumes from quenching bars.A bonus system that was useless,worn out equiptment.

Good riddence LBB. Warrington.

Reading some of the posts about Arthur Lees,am I reading it correct that employees of Sheffield were paid a Christmas bonus?

Reading some of the posts about Arthur Lees,am I reading it correct that employees of Sheffield were paid a Christmas bonus?

The office staff were. We loved it and couldn't wait to get our pay packets and I think it was based on the profits of the year.

I worked there in the offices from 1979 to 1983 before being made redundant.

I was trained in various depts such as accounts, export sales, shipping etc before being moved to Ecclesfield (Lee Steel Wire).

Obviously it is 27 years since I left and the memory plays tricks but here are some of the names of the office staff I remember. Apologies if any of the names are incorrect !

Jean Saxton, Peter Wood, Pete Otley,Fred Dawson and his daughter, Sheryl Spacey,Roland Rogers, Ted Shelton, Dick Jarvis, Stephen Johnson,Ken Ramsden, Ivor Seemley,Lesley Saynor and her mate Mary from Export Sales,John Andrews, Nigel Phillips his brother Anthony,Jill and Jackie Walker,Theresa and her sister,Walter Pearson, John Revill,Bill Church,Mr Cannadine, Mr Sadler, Jane the typist, Jill and Margaret from Rotherham, Mike Ketton.

I would remember more if it wasn't so long ago !

I remember the 1979 works do was at the Embassy Club in Sheffield plus the year after was somewhere in Rotherham.

I only spent 4 years at Arthur Lee's but have some great memories !

Most of the old Meadowhall site is now gone. The VA was recently demolished and the Sundwig mill has been sent to South Korea.

A few of us who worked at Lees in the past are meeting on Tuesday the 25th May for a few beers in the Royal Oak at Blackburn, in the afternoon. It would be good if any more former Lees folk could come and raise a beer to the old times before the site disapears forever!

i worked at lees mid to late seventies in the flat wire dept , theres a couple of names that come to mind John Jeffories , walt spits dave pinder ,tosh and trev the labourer ,If my memories right the manager was ron underwood .jog any memories

My dad and uncles/grandad worked at Arthur Lees in the 70's 80's. My unlces wer Dennis & Alan Scales / Grandad ws Bert(herbert) scales and Dad is John Hunter (little scottish fella)

I remember those names , as i worked in FW dept from 69 -79 .If you wanna PM me with your name , i'm sure we'll know one another..:)