Arthur Lee & Sons Ltd?

The stationery cellar was approached thro a door under the main office staircase - was that Trent St ? opposite Rixsons, by the side of the main weighbridge. Near the Crown pub - nicknamed the low drop !! Deep inside the cellar you could see the weighbridge above. We were told these were the air raid shelters.

You wont know me, I think Edwin Burrell was the Works Engineer when I was there

Blasts from the past! I took over from Edwin Burrell as a very young engineer but I was in the Drawing Office well before that when the Chief Draughtsman was "Dick" Whittington, I think. Remind me of some more names please. John ? also a Draughtsman (budgie breeder).

Fred Emmet and Wilf Roper, I remember in the wire office.

I went off to Alloy Steel Rods on Stevenson Road afterwards with John ? and then later back to Wincobank

Thanks Chairboy. Tried the link to the Archives page but it seems there is nothing listed for Arthur Lee & Sons? Marion, any pics would be great that show either the workers or the works itself. We're just developing the site (into a special alloy recycling facility) and want to get as many images as possible to display the history of the site. Coincidentaly, we've just unearthed some old furnace beds which could have been where your Dad worked! Did he ever mention the old air raid shelters?

Hi Scottgoring,

I new that site very well and if you "unearthed" furnace beds I assume they were at floor level and can only think they were associated with the hot rod mill that I can just about remember but which had closed down before I went back as W/E. All the other furnaces were for wire annealing and therefore at waist height and across the river. I put another furnace in for annealing in an atmosphere very near the rod mill.

Have lots of memories but no photos!

I was Works Engineer at Crown Works just before it was transferred to Ecclesfield and even I dont remember the air raid shelters.
hello david my grandfather worked at the wincobank site before transfering to the ecclesfield site for around 40 years i think he spent most of his time there as a foreman and forklift driver before leaving in 83 and spending his last 2year prior to retirement at the wincobank site as first aid officer his name was bob shore Edited by mh01

Hello Mh01,

I am sure I remember Bob Shore. There were two people working in the First Aid Centre near the boiler house and I think it was Bob who gave me some tubular bandage and the tool to put it on because I was always cutting my finger!

There were some fantastic characters there then, including the Lee family (Wilton; Arthur; Philip; Nigel David and Philip) and the friendliness was something I only really appreciated when I went to work for Davy.

Hello Mh01,

I am sure I remember Bob Shore. There were two people working in the First Aid Centre near the boiler house and I think it was Bob who gave me some tubular bandage and the tool to put it on because I was always cutting my finger!

There were some fantastic characters there then, including the Lee family (Wilton; Arthur; Philip; Nigel David and Philip) and the friendliness was something I only really appreciated when I went to work for Davy.

eyup david it probly wer me grandad that saw to you then i think i recall him saying the 1st aid office was based in a old boiler house

eyup david it probly wer me grandad that saw to you then i think i recall him saying the 1st aid office was based in a old boiler house

Eyup thi sen. Dost tha know whats appened to A Lee now. Love to look at it again but think it might be flattened.

Might have some photos of the boiler house because I put a new boiler in there and a new bridge overt brook to get to it.:D

I remember working at Arthur Lee's offices on Ecclesfield Road. The typing pool was presided over by a strict supervisor whose name escapes me. There were lots of us between 1955-60. Some names I remember are Pat West, Norma Hadfield, Jean Barraclough, Maureen and Barbara Houghton, and Gwen Sizeland. Mr Halford was manager.

Lots of us would walk through Concord Park & Woolley Woods to get to work (in all weathers).

I remember working at Arthur Lee's offices on Ecclesfield Road. The typing pool was presided over by a strict supervisor whose name escapes me. There were lots of us between 1955-60. Some names I remember are Pat West, Norma Hadfield, Jean Barraclough, Maureen and Barbara Houghton, and Gwen Sizeland. Mr Halford was manager.

Lots of us would walk through Concord Park & Woolley Woods to get to work (in all weathers).

Hi Berinda,

You've started something now. I can remember Gwen, Jean and Barbara though would not have remembered their surnames and can remember Mr Halford.

On the sunny days we all used to go and sit on the grass at lunchtime on the other side of the footbridge.

Does anyone remember going on a train outing to Scarborough - all paid for and celebrating something or other?

Being on the Engineering side, I can recall a few names like Les Naylor (Chief Draughtsman) Geoff Dicken. In Purchasing, Alan ? and the boss there had a Son Peter who was at Ecclesfield. Who was the lively one on the Switchboard? As a young man I was almost afraid of her "up-front" talk. Bill Proctor in Stores; Gordon Dixon - Chief Engineer.

You know, they were all good folk and I never saw the like of them after I left.

Keep on with the memories - I am really enjoying reminiscing.

Hi David,

Glad someone else remembers. I went on that trip to Scarborough - I have a photo with four of us on and it's dated on the back 15 June 1957 (my 18th birthday as it happened). I think we set off from Grange Lane Station. I agree it was a friendly family firm to work for...Christmas dinners and once a good 'do' , all paid for, at the Cutler's Hall with Nicholas Parsons as guest.

my grandad was a foreman at Lees for many years -im not sure which department . he`s passed away now but i know my granma has loads of bits and bobs fron his time there

Hi David,

Glad someone else remembers. I went on that trip to Scarborough - I have a photo with four of us on and it's dated on the back 15 June 1957 (my 18th birthday as it happened). I think we set off from Grange Lane Station. I agree it was a friendly family firm to work for...Christmas dinners and once a good 'do' , all paid for, at the Cutler's Hall with Nicholas Parsons as guest.

I remember the one with Peter Cushing and Bernard Manning. The latter was very smutty and it didn't go down well.

Some more names for you:

Ron Webster;Teddy Gibbs;Walter? and Kath?; Peter Baker Ron Darwin;Bert Farrow; Amy Whitehouse (personnel) Mr Godwin and Tony Godwin; Albert Davidson; Ray Swainson and my fondest memories of Tommy Hayes.

Please add some more fellow Lee workers.