Arthur Lee & Sons Ltd?

That's fine Mark I hope you find her well when you visit. I remember that she and Tommy had twin boys and I knew at the time they were very proud of them.

Best Wishes

Terry

Thank you Sir, I will pass on your best to her. She is a little hard of hearing and her memory is not that good but better than most in the home. She is always immaculate in her attire and has a wonderful sense of humour which I think helps her and my fiancee's grandmother a lot in such a place.

Take care

Rgds

Mark

Hi Conjovi. Just been in touch with my dad & it would have been my Grandad, John Prescott who was the foreman there...worked at A.Lees from sometime in the 1940s until mid 1970s. Would love to see any photos if there are any doing the rounds ...
Hi I have recently joined the forum and I remember Jack Prescott, he was foreman roller in the Wide strip Mill at Arthur Lees. I was 16 when I first met him and was in awe of him at first. He was a great character, and I soon warmed to him. I remember he was a member of the Moulders club (Foundry workers) He moved to Gleadless if I remember rightly

Terry

Reply to Benggo.

When Warrington closed Peter Vickers moved to work at Lee Bright Bars in Sheffield as works manager. Don't know what happened to him after that.

Also remember Dave Gibbons and Bob Best.

Hi, i,ve just discovered this forum and link to Arthur Lee & Son,s, i am slipping headlong into a dark hole, doing family research and i am trying to trace or track down any info at all on my Grandfather, Mr C M Cupper who worked for Arthur Lee,s until retirement in 1966. Can anyone help. Regard Roger M Cupper

Hi

I started work in 1955 as office girl in C M Cupper's office which was Steel Control. His staff were Charlie Duckenfield, Vera Wildin, Fred, Rosemary and myself. He lived at Abbeyfield Road and was a lean person with grey hair I believe he came from Bristol Hope this helps. I left in 1960 to get married.

Regards

Hello,

I've read all the comments posted with a great deal of interest. ALS must have been a good place to work. I worked across the valley at Davy United in the 1950's and part of the 60's.

One thing I have noticed about the comments on Lees' is there has been no mention of metallurgists. There must have been a complete department but not a word. Were they isolated from all other departments?

The name of one particular metallurgist comes to mind: Keith Sullivan, joined Lees at Meadowhall (?) in the mid to late 1960's and was most likely there until retirement. Anybody remember him?

Regards

Falls,we had a man who came to LBB at Warrington,from the Sheffield works,and I am sure his name was Keith Sullivan,he was inspecting the bars I turned,he came an odd day here and there,he must have been about 5ft 8ins.,with dark wavy or frizzy hair if I remember rightly.This was 1985/87.

On 07/02/2009 at 20:17, davidstorer said:

Blasts from the past! I took over from Edwin Burrell as a very young engineer but I was in the Drawing Office well before that when the Chief Draughtsman was "Dick" Whittington, I think. Remind me of some more names please. John ? also a Draughtsman (budgie breeder).

Fred Emmet and Wilf Roper, I remember in the wire office.

I went off to Alloy Steel Rods on Stevenson Road afterwards with John ? and then later back to Wincobank

David Storer I am Mick Dale. The budgie breeder was John Ryan.

On 28/06/2009 at 10:54, davidstorer said:

Hi Chris,

Graham Stansfield was with me ate ASR and he went to Ecclesfield. Peter Morton was with me in the D.O and he went to Ecclesfield before Graham.

Again, I heard Graham died prematurely.

Any more names you can dredge up?

Yes Graham Stansfield did die young. I worked for him at Alloy Steel Rods and as he was a neighbour enjoyed a drink with him at The Effiingham Arms, Kimberworth.

On 22/02/2019 at 18:19, Mick Dale said:

Yes Graham Stansfield did die young. I worked for him at Alloy Steel Rods and as he was a neighbour enjoyed a drink with him at The Effiingham Arms, Kimberworth.

To all Arthur Lee and Sons Ltd mechanical engineering apprentices under Frank Sellars in the training school 1962 ish. Ron Smith, Ronnie Levers, Mick Mallet, John Shaw, Peter Newton, Peter Hillman, Eric ? , ? Laming, plus a few others whose names I cannot recall.

What are you doing now??

Hi 

I worked at Arthur lees I was a apprentice from 1972 to 1976  with Steve Atkins,Steve saddington,Robert Harrison and Graham newton I worked in Group 1 with jack Oakley Kevin Duffy Alan Vern Essie and Mick pears I worked at ecclesfield and in the drawing office under les naylor , when I came out of my time I went on shifts at ecclesfield with john Dickinson Phil wragg don Watson and Mick ?????

my gaffers where peter Morton Horace platts Albert shingleton who I believe came from crown I knew graham dyson and Tony eggleston 

On 24/05/2010 at 15:04, Chiswick said:

Stumbled (well my fingers did) on to this site - wow.

I worked at AL&S from 1968 - 1975-ish in the sales offices. I drove past a couple of weeks ago and it's all gone! What happened?

Names I remember:

Clive Truswell

Harry Lister

Elaine Roberts

Kenny Ramsden

Susan Hill

Philip Beckett

Terry Early

...and many more

Bob Chiswick

I worked on Clive Truswell's team in the 1970's with Bob Chiswick. My friends were Glenys Knapton and Ann Pilton amongst many others. And we has a great deal of fun.

Hi I’m Mick Dale. I remember Ron Smith, Ronnie Levers, Pete Hillman, Eric Lack, Mick Mallet, John Shaw, —— Laming, Peter Newton and ???? Frank Sellars ran the Apprentice Training Workshop. I would love to hear from anyone.