Arthur Lee & Sons Ltd?

Hi all

my father worked at lee's Wincobank for many years as a shunter on the works internal railway, and my uncle worked at Alloy Steel Rods, Lewis and Ernest Fowler.

Hi Dave, Furness was my mother’s maiden name, my name is Chris Moxon I remember Mark Gleadhall he started his apprenticeship the year after me when onto work for the post office I think. The other “sparks “who worked for CES was Mick Summergil and a bloke called Brian his surname I forget. The department was run by George Linney I think that is how you spell his name? And his son Mick was charge hand in group one electricians.

My email address is [email protected].

Hi Alligin,

I was also at Alloy Steel Rods right from the start before moving to Crown Works and then back to Meadowhall.

I can remember Ernest Fowler at ASR but not Lewis but then didn't see much of the shunters.

Hi Chris,

Now I remember that name but can't put a face to it. Thanks for reminding me about George Liney. Is it me seeing it through "rose tinted specs" or where there some fantastic characters there at that time. Now another test: who was the electrical engineer (Bob ????) in the hot mill with the front wheel drive Citroen?

Suspect it was before your time.

Will send photos on from Mark

Hi Dave, Sorry but don’t know the name of the mill engineer, me and another apprentice Paul Scott where in the training centre at the time the mill closed, and we filmed the last working days of the mill before it shutdown for good with the help of Derek Clarke. Yes you are right there were some fantastic characters working there. Also worked at ASR for a time and the guy in charge, who’s name I can’t remember is the son of the works engineer at the old Ecclesfield works .Can you remember their names ?

Hi Chris,

Graham Stansfield was with me ate ASR and he went to Ecclesfield. Peter Morton was with me in the D.O and he went to Ecclesfield before Graham.

Again, I heard Graham died prematurely.

Any more names you can dredge up?

Hi Dave sorry to hear about Graham another great bloke also remember Peter Morton, Graham’s sons name is John. Tony Hughes was the electrical foreman at Ecclesfield works when I was an apprentice and a bloke called Mick who was the chargehand and eggo (Tony Eggelston) who was a shift electrician what a character he was. The Fitters foreman was a bloke called Lancaster who called all the fitters bakehouse mechanic’s ,also the fitters chargehand was a big bloke who had a stutter but also a big Wednesday fan like myself but for the moment cannot remember his name? Can you...

Chris, Can you do me a favour?

Can you look up these two names in the Telephone Directory, please?

Gordon Dixon (Twentywell Lane)

Les Naylor (Ecclesfield)

I will forgive you being a Wednesday fan!!!!!:hihi:

hello david my grandfather worked at the wincobank site before transfering to the ecclesfield site for around 40 years i think he spent most of his time there as a foreman and forklift driver before leaving in 83 and spending his last 2year prior to retirement at the wincobank site as first aid officer his name was bob shore

knew him did he go in shiregreen w m c and play darts my brother knew him

imet him 1 or 2twiceand there was bob and bill unwin plus a few more i had 2 brothers at a lees worked there all there live george was a wire drawer charlie worked in the wire wharehouse iworked there twice1947 onthe old coolled rolling mill 2time stiscking in on

robertson fartherin lwa worked on the furnises in the hot mill tommy clarke

yours a woollen

Hello to all you ex Arthur Lee employees, I stumbled across this forum by accident whilst checking up on a Sheffield rolling mill.

As David Storer will know I worked at Lee's from 1950 until 1963 and have many happy memories of those days.

Davids sister was my fathers secretary for many years in MH department where my father was Manager.

Anyway, it is rather early in the morning to carry on rambling on, but I am sure that there will be much more to chat about later when I have really woken up.

By the way David I understand that Alan Dixon has passed away.

Regards, Tony

Edited by TonyGodwin

Hello to all you ex Arthur Lee employees, I stumbled across this forum by accident whilst checking up on a Sheffield rolling mill.

As David Storer will know I worked at Lee's from 1950 until 1963 and have many happy memories of those days.

Davids sister was my fathers secretary for many years in MH department where my father was Manager.

Anyway, it is rather early in the morning to carry on rambling on, but I am sure that there will be much more to chat about later when I have really woken up.

By the way David I understand that Alan Dixon has passed away.

Regards, Tony

Hi Tony,

Good to hear from you after all these years!

As you say much to be exchanged both with you and others from Lee's.

I am sad if you are correct about Gordon Dixon because one of our contributers was in touch with him very recently and said he was in good health.

In the US at the moment so very early morning here.

Hello David, sorry about calling Gordon Alan, I have a pal called Alan Dixon so it was a slip of the mind and keys. Mike Prime was an instrument guy at Meadowhall and he told me Gordon had died, I hope that he was wrong.

A few more name to think about:-

Walter Scott - Machine shop manager, Fred McNulty - Chief Engineer and my boss at the time I Left, Craig Atkinson - Group 2? 3? engineer, Jack Blackham - Group 1 foreman sparks, "Cowboy" Rich - Group 3 engineer, Ralph Gough - Group 1 engineer, Frank Dawson - Toolroom Foreman, Alan Halford - group 3 draughtsman, Brian Smith - Group 1 draughtsman, Ronnie Underwood - ML manager and later at Ecclesfield. Rollie Jones - stores, Harry Lee - chief electrician, Tom Beach - various senior engineering positions, Eric Stead - draughtsman, Peter Morton - Various engineering posts finishing up, I believe at Ecclesfield, Leonard Morton - Head of Purchasing, Wilf Roper - Director in cold rolled strip, Bill and Ron Muse - father and son foreman joiners. Ken Bradley - Foreman joiner, Dennis Fordham - Joiner, Harry Clark - Painter, Jack Sales - Painters Mate, Walter Row - Plumber and lead burner, Leslie Wilson - Chief electrical engineer Ian Glasby - Chief Engineer Meadowhall, Jack Carney - Foreman Roll Grinder.

I Could carry on but that's enough to be going on with, no doubt they will ring a few bells.

I hope that I have not bored you all too much,

Regards, Tony Godwin

Edited by TonyGodwin