Arthur Lee & Sons Ltd?

my grandad was a foreman at Lees for many years -im not sure which department . he`s passed away now but i know my granma has loads of bits and bobs fron his time there

Hi Mr Benn,

Please find out more and post it

Hi David,

Glad someone else remembers. I went on that trip to Scarborough - I have a photo with four of us on and it's dated on the back 15 June 1957 (my 18th birthday as it happened). I think we set off from Grange Lane Station. I agree it was a friendly family firm to work for...Christmas dinners and once a good 'do' , all paid for, at the Cutler's Hall with Nicholas Parsons as guest.

It all starts to come back! it was Walter and Kath Pearson

More names for you. Mr Eldon's secretary Amy Lomas who was very glamorous, another secretary May Underwood who used to sell us cigarettes in 5s. As a junior I worked in Steel Purchasing Office for C. M Cupper along with Charlie Duckenfield, Fred Sheldon & Vera Wilden.

Typing pool girls used to type letters for the sales staff including Leslie Rayner, Peter Wood, Roy Wilkinson etc.

Hi Mr Benn,

Please find out more and post it

yes i will speak to my gran and see what i can get for you :thumbsup:

I started working at Lees in 1974 as an apprentice electrician. I started in the apprentice training centre at meadowhall. I seem to remember the name David Storrer linked with the Sundwig rolling mill. I worked in the mill with Steve Kitson and Steve Challoner. Also remember the names Burt Farrow and Ron Chapman. I left in 1980 after spending 3 years in group 3. Had some great times.

Sadly Lees is closing and is slowly being demolished. I visited the site recently and found the site from the old group one up to the apprentice training centre fenced off and demolished. All that is left is the foundations and a pile of rubble! You can clearly see where the machine shop, apprentice centre and central services were. I plan to take as many pictures as I can before it all disapears!

Other names I remember are Derek Clarke (training), Jack Mycroft a foreman in group 3 (sadly Jack has recently died), Danny Sharpe, group 3 and Harry Ainley from training.

I will post other memories as I remember them! I still have the book issued in 1974 about the history of Lees. It was given to all employees to celebrate its 100 years in the steel industry.

I worked at station rd ecclesfield around 1978 to1985 in carbon wire dept when it closed down transfered to smith wires halifax we was all made redundant

I also work in the Sundwig mill as an apprentice electrician with Steve Challoner,I remember Burt Farrow and Ron Chapman who were both Electrical Engineers. I’m sorry to hear about jack Mycroft, he was my shift foreman when I worked in group three, also work with John Robinson, Arthur Knutton and Harold Crapper who I replaced on shifts when he retired.

Hi Mocco57,

I think you were probably there after I left (but not by much). Can you give a name?

Albert Davison was the Group 3 Engineer but who was his "sidekick" Bill ????. Tommy Hayes (Production) was my great friend but suffered a premature death I believe.

Where you around when Ungerer did some work on the mill and what was it that they changed?

Hi Dave, started my apprenticeship in august 73. Worked with Steve Challoner in the Sundwig mill From about June 74 and the mill was still been installed. Albert Davidson sidekick was Bill Rogers aka Cowboy, great bloke got me a full set of ring spanners for me on the day I finish (redundant) June1982.

Hi Mocco,

Yes, Bill Rogers of course. Bill came to see me in Poole when he was caravaning once. I had moved to Davy in Poole/ Bournemouth and I suppose that must have been after 74 but the mill was finished when I left so don't quite get the timing. Sorry to hear you were made redundant. That was one of the reasons I left because I had dealt with two lots of that and when you see really good blokes going it really hurts. All things considered, it was a wonderful place to work and I don't envy anyone now working in a totally different environment. I used to tell the tale that when I worked at Lee's I would walk up from the bottom car park and every single person would say "Good Morning" but when I went to Davy I would walk the length of 2 floors and no one would say anything.

Have you managed to keep in touch with any others from A Lee?

Would love to think we could arrange a reunion with others who worked there.

Hi Dave, did you know my mother Margret Furness who worked in the cold strip offices and my grandmother Annie Furness who worked in the works canteen.

Hi Mocco,

So your surname is Furness but what about the first name?

Well I can remember Annie in the canteen but can't place your mother.

Presumably she worked in the offices at the left side of the drive going up with Teddy Gibbs and Ron Webster Wilf Roper and dear old Tommy Hayes.

On a different tack do you remember Harry Lee - another electrical engineer?

In the middle of the night I also remembered another "sparks" man who was in the cottage near the drawing office (with Bert Farrow) but his name has gone now dammit.

Mark Gleadhall has been back in to look at the Sundwig and has sent me some photos. If you send me an email address I will forward to you. My email address is roadrunner@sapo.pt (Roadrunner was my nickname I eventually found out!!!! - I think due to Bill Rogers).

P.S not related to the United full back I suppose?