Arthur Lee & Sons Ltd?

Does anybody have any old photos of the old Arthur Lee & Sons Crown Works on Faraday Road, Attercliffe? I'm looking for anything related to the former Mill was on this site. Also I'd love to hear from anybody with photographs of the old Don Vitriol Works which stood on the neighbouring site. Any help greatly appreciated.

I have a couple of photographs of my dad at work circa 1960's his name was Bob Holmes. He worked on the furnaces

Marion

Thanks Chairboy. Tried the link to the Archives page but it seems there is nothing listed for Arthur Lee & Sons? Marion, any pics would be great that show either the workers or the works itself. We're just developing the site (into a special alloy recycling facility) and want to get as many images as possible to display the history of the site. Coincidentaly, we've just unearthed some old furnace beds which could have been where your Dad worked! Did he ever mention the old air raid shelters?

I was Works Engineer at Crown Works just before it was transferred to Ecclesfield and even I dont remember the air raid shelters.

Marion,

I have vague recollections of Bob Holmes. Which side of the river did he work on - do you know?

I worked at Arthur Lee Crown Works. We used to go through a door under the main office stairway, and there was a big "cellar" which stretched right under the weigh bridge. It was used for storing the stationery, lots of it.

I forgot to say, we were told this stationery store room was the air raid shelter ! !

Hi Evelyne,

Now I do remember that area but cant remember where the access was from. Was it a trapdoor in the weigh bridge office or was it under the stairs going up the the top offices?

Where did you work racking my brains for Evelynes!

Thanks Chairboy. Tried the link to the Archives page but it seems there is nothing listed for Arthur Lee & Sons?

PictureSheffield is based in the Local Studies Library in Surrey Street. I would recommend a visit to look at the database there - they have more images than are available online.

Also, try a search for the street names, in case the buildings are visible but not indexed.

Hugh

Scottgoring,

You may have this, but I found it listed at A2A (Access to Archives)

Holdings of Sheffield Archives

Reference: 1993/72

Covering dates 1920-1948

Extent: 5 rolls

Conditions of access: Unlisted material. 4 weeks written notice required for access. Some records may be subject to a closure period

Creators: Arthur Lee and Sons Limited

Contents:

Engineering and architectural drawings for various buildings for Arthur Lee and Sons Limited including some for Charles Ross Limited.

Hugh

I have a couple of photographs of my dad at work circa 1960's his name was Bob Holmes. He worked on the furnaces

Marion

Marion ask your Dad if if remembers the name Keith Moore, my brother-in-law worked there in the 60s as a Wire drawer (sp) I think his uncle did too, a George Moore.:)