Has there ever been a prison in Sheffield?

think Hollowmeadows was a work house, now luxury housing.

Osbourne House on burngreave road, wasn't that a borstal/careorder/remand home ?

Dean.

Osbourne house was for people who were on care orders etc, however Shirecliffe was a secure unit that also held under 17s remanded into custody. Part of it still stands at the top of Shirecliffe lane. Borstals and Detention centres were run by HM Prison service. I would say the nearest to sheffield would have been Hatfied borstal near Doncaster.

King Edward VII upper school.

There were bars on the windows to stop you getting out.

It honestly felt like prison. Cold with the ceiling hanging off and a huge pool of water on the wooden floors. Paint flaking off the walls and broken cast-iron radiators.

And then there were the teachers. Brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr. Scary, even now, 23 years since I last stepped foot in the place....

think Hollowmeadows was a work house, now luxury housing.

Osbourne House on burngreave road, wasn't that a borstal/careorder/remand home ?

Dean.

osbourne house was a probation hostel

Although not a borstal, wasn't Ballifield Hall some sort of place for naughty boys?

As the title of the thread suggests, I am curious to find out if Sheffield has ever had a prison ?

Yes it did have a prison - even going back to the days of the Civil War......

''Prisoners in Derbyshire were kept in lockups until shipped to Sheffield Gaol.''

...but I don't think they had three square meals and a colour TV in those days.

Yes it did have a prison - even going back to the days of the Civil War......

''Prisoners in Derbyshire were kept in lockups until shipped to Sheffield Gaol.''

That's interesting - what are you quoting from ?

Never in a thousand years is this true there as never been a borstal in sheffield

Quite right. "Hollow Meadows Institute" provided residential care for the mentally handicapped. It closed in the 1970s and was converted into luxury apartments.

Am I correct in assuming that most cities have prisons and Sheffield is an exception to this rule?

King Edward VII upper school.

And then there were the teachers. Brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr. Scary, even now, 23 years since I last stepped foot in the place....

Me too :hihi: ....

Maybe we know each other :D:D:D

Am I correct in assuming that most cities have prisons and Sheffield is an exception to this rule?

I have always found it a little strange that every prisoner from a city as large as Sheffield has to be sent somewhere else. Virtually every other sizeable city that I can think of has at least one prison.

That's certainly the way it seems - think of smaller cities such as Lincoln, Leicester, Norwich and Exeter, also towns such as Doncaster, Preston and March (Whitemoor). But Sheffield crooks are good customers of Wakefield and Leeds prisons...

In the early 1950's Hollowmeadows was a borstal ! Boys were often seen by the gate in their garb including woodworking aprons. The threat to a misbehaving child at this time was, "Behave or you will go to Hollowmeadows!"