A loving marriage - without sex?

The OP said “could you adjust to it if sex was no longer possible” that sounds like after an accident or medical condition rather than for emotional reasons.

I would have thought age was a major factor and if you already had children or not.

Yes you are right age would play a major factor. If we were 18 years old and had just got married and didn't have any kids, then I am not sure how I would feel.... :( very sad thinking about it.

you must be feeling so tired as a new parent!

WRT a sexless relationship, there are ways and means of satisfying your partner without needing penetration, ways to show your OH that you still love and desire him/her.

Whilst it's not the be-all and end-all, if it's missing, then that's a huge chunk of the relationship where there's a problem. (unless the couple are having a "break" by mutual agreement) If one partner is still wanting/ needing lovemaking, then it's very easy for them to start to feel unloved, and unlovely. Lovemaking binds a couple together emotionally. It's a closeness and intimacy like no other.

I can't agree more wise Plain Talker! I do feel tired as a parent, but ironically feel very very sexual, unlike most other new mums :love:! Hence it is annoying; the only thing stopping us is medical and i can't wait to get the all clear. Until then we'll just make the most of every base we can heehee!

Life without Sex is like a door without a handle

One would not know where to turn :)

Apparently I get quite moody after a short period without sex. I know I tend to find myself withdrawing into myself more and more the longer the involuntary abstinence goes on for.

Based on that observation, I think I'd struggle to maintain a relationship sans sex.

I couldn't contemplate it. However, as Medusa says, if both parties are happy with the arrangement then I don't see why not.

Is it possible to sustain a marriage without the sex, could you adjust to it if sex was no longer possible or would you have to divorce, are you happy to be celibate?

I think it is possible & there is more to life than sex & I am sure if I was married I would be able to get enough pleasure if not more by doing some other activity & gaining that pleasure ;)

I'd prefer to have a sexual relationship with no love. Love comes and goes - sex is for life

Really? I would have thought sex comes and goes and love is for life

Temporarily maybe...but never having sex with OH again??:o

I think if I really loved the person and there was a physical reason- disability/illness etc, then maybe I could accept it.

But I don't think the relationship would be the same- I find that if me and the OH haven't done it in a while we get a bit 'out of synch', I dunno, we don't seem as close and intimate... I think the physical aspect does reinforce the bond between 2 people...as much as we might try and intellectualise these things, I think instinct and hormones are of prime importance...we are animals, after all.

That said, I know some people define themselves as 'asexual' or have very low sex-drives. They could manage it, I'm sure.

Life without Sex is like a door without a handle

knobless? .

Good question, I would just settle for a good cuddle or loving hug but could'nt go without any form of physical contact at all.

As we get older, some blokes are'nt even bothered and some of us women adjust to this I suppose.