15/16 mile walk 23rd Feb 2008

Some great pics as usual Hemlock, especially of the dude in the shorts. How cool is that guy? He makes everyone else look a bit overdressed don't you think :suspect:

Anyway, at the end of a long day, how nice it is to look back and realise that you've walked further today than you've ever walked in your life. Don't feel any more tired than normal though, weird really!

Record turn-out today with 20 people turning up for the first time, these being Neoteric, Linchpinlulu, Scoobz, Nooka, Neily, Rainbow Sky + Junior, Sherwood, Fuzzle, Parkwoman, Rob, Busy Lizzie, Hemlock, Alberto, Wendy, Galloway and 5 friends. Nice to see non-forumers Zoe, Wendy, Sid, John and Sheila, I hope we'll see you all again soon!

Nice to "bump into" Albert and Alligin too, and also to meet Mrs Alligin. Hope the legs didnt scare you :D.

Final comment. Was there ever a more undignified crossing of a river than the one we made across the stepping stones at Shatton today? What with a few slips, a stick loss and a massive amount of rock hugging by one nameless person, the end result wouldn't have been out of place on You've Been Framed. Happy days!

Thanks to Hemlock and Neoteric for the photos. Seems like a good time was had by all. Just wish that we would have got up in time :(

...Record turn-out today with 20 people turning up for the first time, these being Neoteric, Linchpinlulu, Scoobz, Nooka, Neily, Rainbow Sky + Junior, Sherwood, Fuzzle, Parkwoman, Rob, Busy Lizzie, Hemlock, Alberto, Wendy, Galloway and 5 friends. ...

You really can't count, scoobz, can you? I make that 21!!! Well done - a great turn out. Just think, if Saul and I had come too it would have been 23 of us! :D

Well done to everyone who made it today, however far you walked. So sorry I could'nt make it. Not sure I would have made it over the stepping stones though, you might have had to get air-sea rescue out for me:hihi:

Great photos once again, not sure about the bloke in the shorts.

Some nice photographs taken today. Thank you.

Nice photographs of the these days greatly enlarged size and stepping stones, these days they are very much like a bridge than the 6" by 9" ones that were approx 3' or 4' apart that we normally crossed a few years ago.

Why did some try to cross? To see who may or would fall in?

It was very nice to meet everyone coming along the old railway towards Ladybower today.

I'll be opening a general information thread on this shortly:- To myself the major point that the walk illustrates, i that now it is possible to walk from The Yorkshire Bridge Inn Bus Stop along a very pleasant virtually level path all the way to Baslow, Chatsworth and Rowsley though it would be advisable to do it in easy three or five mile stages and to carry sufficient refreshments for ones needs because after leaving at the Yorkshire Bridge Inn start point, none are readily available, until Grindleford Station, Grindleford Village or Baslow.

Public transport being available at Bamford ( Bus or Train ) Hathersage ( Bus or Train ) Grindleford ( Bus or Train ) Froggatt ( Bus ) Calver ( Bus ) Baslow ( Bus ) Chatsworth ( Bus ) and Rowsley ( Bus to Bakewell then Bus to Sheffield ).

Where the road from Yorkshire Bridge to Thornhill crosses the track, a bridge carrying the rail track existed. I noted today, that this as been removed and a convenient Car Park provided. At the end of the official trail is a sign post to the Win Hill summit, Anyone who as not been up I would urge them to do so on a clear day. Take a camera to photograph the some lovely views from it.

I realised that the quarrying that had previously mentioned taken place on the face of Win Hill a few years ago had eventually lead to the walk along the old rail track becoming available as now. I think the quarrying took place about twenty years ago. If someone know more please share your knowledge. Thank you.

The reason for the quarrying was, I believe, to provide the materials enabling the dam wall to be lifted about twenty feet and strengthen by making it much wider. This now allows the public footpath along the dam wall to exist.

So to the brain boxes oin the walking group: When full the dam contains 6.300,000,000 gallons of water. Now it as been lifted twenty feet. How much does it contain now and how much would this extra water wiegh?

You really can't count, scoobz, can you? I make that 21!!! Well done - a great turn out. Just think, if Saul and I had come too it would have been 23 of us! :D

No Mardy, definitely only 20. Perhaps Galloway only brought 4 friends, or maybe we lost someone in the river :huh:

Congratulations anyway for spotting the deliberate error, and watch out for more of the same in later postings :D

I think we all did really well today, thanks to our walk leader for challenging us to achieve our full potential!! It was a great day and I look forwad to another 10+ mile walk soon. Hope you are feeling better Billysmum? I'm not sure about the shorts either? I think it was to save time on the washing and at least he can't loose his mobile like poor Callum (Bad end to the day Rainbow sky and an expensive one!)

see you all next week Lizzie

Great day out and the best walk ever and full marks to Scoobz for the efficicient organising of the walk to make it so inclusive to everyone. People walked what they felt was comfortable for them and to be honest everyone gave this walk a good crack. I thought the concept was brilliant and the pace, well measured.

I was excited at the prospect of this walk and wasn't disappointed. Thanks to Sherwood for reminding me to eat my banana for Turbo Power 3/4 of the way around. Little did we realise that the chip butty also had the same effect at the end of the walk! Great to see Tiznit back on excellent form at the front for most of the way!

Message to Neo - i also had my new iphone, Rolex,and cd collection tied to my stick (for insurance purposes!) Message to Callum - we'll get you a phone somehow !

Calf Muscles are a bit tight this morning

No Mardy, definitely only 20. Perhaps Galloway only brought 4 friends, or maybe we lost someone in the river :huh:

Congratulations anyway for spotting the deliberate error, and watch out for more of the same in later postings :D

Part of the job I had before I had my children was proof-reading......you can count on me! :)

As always, a great day out with fabulous people - thanks to all! Thanks for rallying round to keep my Boy from the jaws of other dogs; thanks also to Fuzzle for leading him across the Stepping Stones (or was it the other way round?).

Re. the head count.....only 4 of the 5 "Galloway's friends" turned up - so no-one was lost in the river.

The only sadness of the day was Neilly being parted, forever, from his stick - oh well, we have many pics of this special friend!

This walk was a great idea with lots of flexible options - well done, yet again, Scoobz.

Only just got round to checking in here after 2 days up a ladder with a paint roller in hand.

Rob & I had a great time. Rob was pleased with himself for completing it & I was grateful for the opportunity to drop out at Bamford!

I'm amazed that so many of us made it across the stepping stones with no worse mishaps. Neo was very lucky not to get soaked. Shame about Neily's stick. :(

Haven't had time yet to check out the photos - still more painting to do I'm afraid.