15/16 mile walk 23rd Feb 2008

Following much discussion over quite a long period, here we go for a full day in the Peak district on the Walking Groups longest ever walk!

The walk will be a linear one from Grindleford to the Ladybower Inn and back, and will start at Grindleford railway station at 9.30 on Saturday 23rd Feb. A train leaves Sheffield at 9.14 and arrives at Grindleford at 9.29, with return trains leaving at a quarter to the hour.

The main aim of this walk is for people to have a go at a longer walk than normal, but there are various options for people wanting to do a shorter version, such as catching the train back to Sheffield when we pass through either Bamford or Hathersage, either going or coming back! This might sound complicated, but basically it means a person could either walk as little as 3 miles, or at other distances between 3 and 16!

In a nutshell, the walk goes Grindleford-Hathersage-Bamford-Ladybower-Bamford-Hathersage-Grindleford.

This is not going to be a fast route march, but I would think that there won't be as many stops as there normally is for photographing and the like, and that we could complete the walk in 6 hours.

Who's up for it?

Great, thats 4........plus Neoteric whose idea it sort of was, making 5. Now, how about some more of the Sunday regulars :) ?

Also, how about any super-fit lurkers, are there any of you out there?

I will give it a go! :o

Come on Forummers! There must be someone out of 45,000 members who is fitter than us and could hop this backwards!

Come on Forummers! There must be someone out of 45,000 members who is fitter than us and could hop this backwards!

Don't encourage Mardy Bum, she'd probably take you up on that challenge Neily!

Great response so far though, 8 up to now and I reckon another 3 of the "younger element" still to commit, so we might get up to 10 at least.

Ermmmm............anybody bringing cake :hihi: :hihi: ?

Great response so far though, 8 up to now and I reckon another 3 of the "younger element" still to commit, so we might get up to 10 at least.

The "younger element" is feeling quite overwhelmed at the thought of walking 16 miles!!

The "younger element" is feeling quite overwhelmed at the thought of walking 16 miles!!

You could "walk" this Canada Girl, so to speak. In fact your name's already down for it especially as we'll need home made cake to get us through!

Come on, give it a go (Linchpinlulus words), you can do it :)

Don't encourage Mardy Bum, she'd probably take you up on that challenge Neily!

Ermmmm............anybody bringing cake :hihi: :hihi: ?

I'd like to try some kendal cake if anyone has any :o