Boys brigade - Does it still exist?

Hi to all those who were in the BB (Boys' Brigade).

In August 2014 and then again on Saturday 8th November 2014; former members of the 5th Halifax BB Coy, pareded as part of The Bugles & Drums of The Stedfast Association (National ex BB members Association); firstly in Ypres Belgium, to honour those of the BB who served in WW1, then in the annually televised Lord Mayor's Show in London.

The band for the Lord Mayor's Show was the biggest ever paraded since it was formed in 2000; with over 70 band members taking part.

The ex BB Boys from Halifax (Elland) joined up with people from all over the UK, including Scotland and Norther Ireland, together with band members from Guernsey (CI) and Germany.

The Band seek further members (men or ladies, as some 'ex GB' have joined the band too) aged 18+ especially buglers!

You can find out more by either googling BBFormerMembers.btck.co.uk or StedfastAssociationBugleBand.btck.co.uk

Hi I was in the 14th Handsworth around 40 years ago our leader at the time was a man called Mr bowers his son was also a member , loved to go camping at winthorpe Skegness for the week also remember the darnall branch leader was a Mr dean good times and some good memories playing football ect:)

I have no idea if it still exists, all I know I belonged to a BB troop if that's what they were. I was based at gleadless valley Methodists church can't remember what we did or anything about it I was only in it for about 6 weeks and I don't know what we did or what their aims were but what ever it was it was not for me I don't think I ever had a uniform or any part of one. I know my parant's would not be able to afford one if it's still together and not demobbed good look to the

On 28/08/2008 at 05:56, mikeybaby72 said:

I was in the BB for 3 years at Hallam Methodist Church (Nethergreen) in the 80s. Our leader was George Winslow. Anyone else from that group???:confused:

Yes but in the early 70s. George was leader then. 

Sheffield & District Battalion of the BB is still active & has 15 companies. It has a website at http://sheffield.boys-brigade.org.uk/

I recall all prospective 4th District officers had to be interviewed by George Winslow. I remember spending an hour at his house for that around 1962/3 - his house was on Hereward Rd I think.

Edited by johnpm

On 23/07/2007 at 10:13, noproblem said:

i was in the church lads brigade at clifford road school on psalter lane sharrow when i was about 10 or 11 ( 1956) i wasn't old enough to get into the boys brigade then, later i played a cavalry trumpet in the BB and my brother was the mace thrower, used to love walking round hunters bar and ecclesall road area on a sunday playing in the band but hated the church service, thought i remembered some girl members not sure but the guy in charge was ted heath

I joined the JTC first with my School Friend Michael Bentley we went I think on a Wednesday Evening to Clifford Road School , I enjoyed it very much especially the marching & drills and then I was made lance corporal and became interested in playing the bugle in the Band , Tony Heath ran it , I remember John Clayton was a fantastic drummer on the front row , on the back row was three cavalry trumpets and Tony Heath played a proper valve trumpet, we used to join up with CLB at St Peters & St Oswalds but marching around the streets was amazing lots of people by their front door clapping, I have wonderful memories of those days wouldn’t it be great if someone remembers me Michael Astill from Neil Road Hunters Bar now age 73 

On 05/12/2006 at 17:01, dowkeruk said:

A friend, Terry Eckersley, was leader of a Boys' Brigade troup (are those the right words?) and used to swirl the baton. He lived in Grimesthorpe. This was late 40's and 50's.

I think Terry Eckersley was in 53rd at Grimesthorpe Wesleyan Reform Chapel. I was in that one & seem to remember his name.

My brother Michael and I were in the 36th Sheffield Company at Owlerton Methodist Church (corner of Penistone Road and Capel Street, where the Peugeot showroom now stands). Michael was the Staff Sergeant and, after playing bass drum for a number of years, was promoted to the company mace-bearer. Being 8 years younger than Michael, I spent most of those years in Life Boys, but moved up in 1963 to Boys' Brigade and played cymbals in the band. A short time later the church shut down and my association with Boys' Brigade ended. However Michael moved to Harlow where I believe he captained the local company for a number of years.

The captain of the Owlerton company was Aaron Nicholson who I recall worked during the day as a cobbler. He had a German wife (which was sometimes a bit of an issue in the post-war years) and their son Steffan was also a member.

On 22/06/2004 at 06:43, Wavey said:

My dad was in the Boys Brigade in what I assume was the late 40s/early 50s.. he was from Pitsmoor but I don't know which BB 'chapter ' he was in. We've got photos of him marching along beating the big drum. I think its the Whitsun marches at perhaps Firth Park or something like that.

The Boy's Brigade in Pitsmoor (1950s) had two 'chapters': Petre Street Methodist chapel and Lopham Street Methodist chapel,

On 20/05/2021 at 00:49, St Petre said:

The Boy's Brigade in Pitsmoor (1950s) had two 'chapters': Petre Street Methodist chapel and Lopham Street Methodist chapel,

The Captain of Petre St Methodist BB company was Albert Drury Smith in the 1960's; cant remember the number.  Albert's son Tony is currently captain of Coal Aston BB company. There was also a BB  at All Saints Anglican Church - the 15th Sheffield which my dad was in .

Edited by johnpm