Boys brigade - Does it still exist?

Hi jt'

Don't know how old you are but I'm in my 60's so we may have not met We used to hold the parade nights in the hall under the church on Friday nights,we used to do a bit of drill training then a bit of hobby work or whatever if we were taking our badges, it kept us off the streets and our parents knew where we were, Who ran it when you were in ? because Albert died and I think Barry took over because Lionel had died previously, I do'nt know what happend the Derek (the other brother) I enjoyed it, up to me finding out about GIRLS!!!

Thanks for the reply, Ciao Ian m

I was in the Life Boys in Gleadless Valley - church opposite John O'Gaunt pub - 1961 ish. Me knots were classics!! :headbang::blush:

Hi jt'

Don't know how old you are but I'm in my 60's so we may have not met We used to hold the parade nights in the hall under the church on Friday nights,we used to do a bit of drill training then a bit of hobby work or whatever if we were taking our badges, it kept us off the streets and our parents knew where we were, Who ran it when you were in ? because Albert died and I think Barry took over because Lionel had died previously, I do'nt know what happend the Derek (the other brother) I enjoyed it, up to me finding out about GIRLS!!!

Thanks for the reply, Ciao Ian m

The two names I remember were Mr Ogilvy or Ogden not sure which and Mr Miller who was getting on a bit in the 60s and smoked a pipe, he reminded me of John Mills.

I used to play the lead drum for the 37th Sheffield Boys Brigade of Hatfield House Lane Methodist Church, from '77 until about '82. Great days! I bet the band wouldn't be able to march around Shiregreen these days, either get the drums nicked or stoned to death.

was that the group that mick thoday was one of the leaders of?

i used to live next door to the thodays, his wife was one of the girls brigade leaders ... we moved away in 83 but last i heard they were still fairly active with the brigade ... :D

i was in the church lads brigade at clifford road school on psalter lane sharrow when i was about 10 or 11 ( 1956) i wasn't old enough to get into the boys brigade then, later i played a cavalry trumpet in the BB and my brother was the mace thrower, used to love walking round hunters bar and ecclesall road area on a sunday playing in the band but hated the church service, thought i remembered some girl members not sure but the guy in charge was ted heath

I was in the BB in 1935 we used to make our noise at one of the schoolrooms at All Saints Sutherland rd that was CofE This was also my school, Arthur.

I was in the 53rd at Grimesthorpe Wesleyan Reforn Church. Joined The Life Boys in 1952 and went into BB when I was 12. At the time Charlie Wise ( an ex-professional footballer for Notts County) was Company Captain and his wife Amy ran The Life Boys.

I went on to be an officer until leaving Sheffield in 1976 although spent 2 years at Creswick Greave Company just before leaving.

I did Duke of Edinburgh Award and through that got friendly with John Spencer ( Firth Park) Barry Trigg (Beck Rd), Alan Clegg ( Andover St) and many others.

At the 53rd we also did a number of joint things with the company at St Thomas Brightside ( 21st I think) where Cliff Minnis was Captain and Roy Crossey was an officer.

Through working on the committee of the 4th Sheffield District I well remember Albert Smith Captain at Petre Street.

Last year the 53rd had a great 75th Anniversary reunion.

I was in the 53rd at Grimesthorpe Wesleyan Reforn Church. Joined The Life Boys in 1952 and went into BB when I was 12. At the time Charlie Wise ( an ex-professional footballer for Notts County) was Company Captain and his wife Amy ran The Life Boys.

I went on to be an officer until leaving Sheffield in 1976 although spent 2 years at Creswick Greave Company just before leaving.

I did Duke of Edinburgh Award and through that got friendly with John Spencer ( Firth Park) Barry Trigg (Beck Rd), Alan Clegg ( Andover St) and many others.

At the 53rd we also did a number of joint things with the company at St Thomas Brightside ( 21st I think) where Cliff Minnis was Captain and Roy Crossey was an officer.

Through working on the committee of the 4th Sheffield District I well remember Albert Smith Captain at Petre Street.

Last year the 53rd had a great 75th Anniversary reunion.

Barry Trigg Top man. My son's been with Barry's group for about 13 yrs now.

Barry Trigg Top man. My son's been with Barry's group for about 13 yrs now.

Barry is indeed a top geezer. I remember him well from summer camps in the early to mid sixties, joint ventures with the 21st, 23rd and 53rd. Trips to Swanage, Polzeath and Dawlish. The bloke was a legend, every time we tried to do a bunk and sneak out of camp, he would catch us. He either had a sixth sense or a mole on the inside.

Please pass on my regards.

I seem to remember that Terry Eckersley was in our company, the 53rd at Grimesthorpe Wesleyan Reform.

Our company was started on 13 March 1932 with Wilf Maynard as captain , Cliff Minnis and George Howe as the officers and my dad Jim Moore as a staff sergeant.

Other BB captains there have been Walter Yates, Charlie Wise ( an ex pro footballer for Notts County) , Les Cusworth and now Ian Reynolds. The Life Boys were led by Amy Wise for many years - a wonderful lady who gave us boys a great time.

Names from the BB in the 50's and 60's were Keith Wild ( a great fast bowler at cricket), John Howsam, Leonard and Bev Foster, Harry Jarvis , Ian and Barry Reynolds, Neil Ward etc.

An interesting fact is that at the moment the 53rd is the second oldest operating company in Sheffield ; the 54th at Firth Park being the oldest.

For those who asked , the Church Lads Brigade is largely connected with Anglican Churches. It still exists and its National HQ is at Wath on Dearne.

I was a member of the Andover Street in the early seventies...we met in the Methodist church hall

I still carry a scar on my arm from a game of British Bulldog

Do you remember Alan Clegg in Andover Street? I think he would have been a young officer when you were in.

I did my DEA with him about 1962

John

Reading the above threads has brought back memories of my days in 50's at Lowshire Green Methodist Chapel (Beck Road). I was a member of the Life Boys under Mr Frank Walker who is now in his late 80's. The Boys Brigade leader was Captain Bill Black followed by Captain Rowland Bell, followed by Captain Brian Worthington. Mick Thoday, Alan Clegg and Barrie Trigg were in the 23rd Company which was based at Beck Road. The latter has now been closed but the 23rd Company as moved to St chritophers on Bellhouse Road and the Captain is Barrie Trigg.