Boys brigade - Does it still exist?

Hello Jack. Were you in the Wesley Hall BB on Wincobank Lane? We used to call that lot the Cellotape Band, due to the drums being held together with it. Regards, Ex 21st member St Thomas's Church.

And the national headquarters is......................

In sunny Wath upon Dearne :)

Just down the road from my hovel.

I used to play the lead drum for the 37th Sheffield Boys Brigade of Hatfield House Lane Methodist Church, from '77 until about '82. Great days! I bet the band wouldn't be able to march around Shiregreen these days, either get the drums nicked or stoned to death.

I lived on Hatfield House Lane during the war & remember the Boys Brigade & band marching along the lane on Sunday mornings. They used to wear pill box hats.

I was in the 26th Sheffield Company (Southey Methodist) Boys Brigade (late 1950's) and before that in the Life Boys. I was a drummer in the band which I absolutely loved. We had church parades; then we had district parades (4th district); then once a year the battalian parade with the massed bands of all Sheffield B B. The best time was Whit Mondays parading to Firth Park with 100's of people lining the streets near the park. In the park were roped off sections for each church. Each Sunday School Queen came on the platform in turn and when it was yours, you cheered as loud as you could.

i was in the BB on beck road

It used to be called the Life Boys when I was in it in 1946.

Actually the Life boys was the old name for the Junior Section. The Anchor Boys are even younger than that. I think the Anchor boys was invented around 1980. Because younger boys often went to the cubs instead as you could start that younger.

My son aged 7 goes to the younger group of BB, Anchor Boys at Hillsborough Tabernacle Church. I know it may seems bit dated and unfashionable these days but he loves it. For kids like my son who aren't into playing footaball or martial arts, it's something positive for him to do.

I was in the 20th at Hilsborough trinity for years. I joined the juniors as soon as I was old enough, and left after several years in the company section when I was about 14 or 15. I played trumpet in the band, learned first aid, and we had occasional camping trips etc..

I left because I got sick of the constant football they used to play in the hall for almost all the second half of the meetings. I suppose they were short of decent adults who could run more constructive activities.

Might be a misconceptio on my part, but in the 40s/50s the Boy's Brigades were generally attached to methodist churches and Scouts to CofE churches.

I can remember wanting to join the BB but couldn't because we were CofE, the BB always had better bands than the Scouts, better uniforms and seemed to get to strut their stuff on Sundays a lot more often :D

You're right Greybeard, I was in the 7th, which was based at Stannington Methodists Church in the early/mid 70's. Great fun, although Muddycoffee is correct in identifying that indoor football took up a major part of the evening.

I can remember going to the old Montgomery Hall on Surrey Street to collect my uniform only a few weeks after the place was almost destroyed in a fire. What year would that be anyone??

Afraid not boys, I was in the 21st. St Thomas C of E Brightside late fifties. Many years ago and in uniform, I was approached by an elderly gentleman who expressed his interest in th BB. As a lad, he had wanted to join but his dad wouldn't allow it. Apparently, in the old days the boys were trained to use rifles, something his dad didn't agree with. I wsh I had been let loose with one.

PunctualP. We, the 21st St.Thomas BB. went camping with you lot twice in the late fifties. Were you on Moonshine Lane? One year we went to Ilfracomb and another to Conway.

I too remember the batallion parades. "Parade will advance in column of route, Number 1 company leading." Once we marched from the old market on Exchange Street to Carver Street Chapel, the place was packed to the rafters with us all. Reading these posts brought all the memories back. Thanks.

I too was in the Boys Brigade, 21st Company St.Thomas Brightside from 1961 to 1968.

Clifford Minnis was the Captain. An inspiration to all the boys in the Company. Without doubt one of the finest christians I ever met.

I found this link on a website not long ago. The Boys Brigade Hymn.

It brought a lump to my throat when I listened to it.

http://www.majordisaster.fsnet.co.uk/will_your_anchor_hold/will_your_anchor_hold_organ.htm

Might be a misconception on my part, but in the 40s/50s the Boy's Brigades were generally attached to methodist churches and Scouts to CofE churches.

Greybeard,

the essential difference between BB and scouts is that BB had an element of religious observance. They required church attendance at BB as part of following the movement.

The founder of the Scouts, Bayden Powell, was himself originally a Boys' Brigade officer, but he disliked the religious observance, and drill. He wished to do more outdoor persuits and camps, and thus he set up the scouts.

If you have observed that most Boys' Brigade branches in your experience are connected to Methodist Churches, then I think that is just a coincidence, as there were more Methodist Churches in this area and they used to be all strong with lots of families and young people. It is likely that the congregations wanted a wholesome religious pseudo military boy's group, who would take part in church services and parades to make their church look grander.

I know that there was at least one scout group in Fox Hill which had its own premises not supported by a church, but I would have thought that most youth organisations would require the premises and heat afforded by an existing church.

I remember when I was a Lad, that there were a few other organisations too, Like Church Lad's Brigade. Which I can only imagine was an offshoot of the BB too..