Boys brigade - Does it still exist?

Does the Boys brigade still exist today.

I was in Andover Street as a kid and used to go on the spring bank holiday marches to Firthpark.

They used to get a large following and it was a long walk to Firth Park from Pitsmoor in them days.

I have some old 8mm footage now transfered on to video of the march coming up Barnsley Road about 1964 with all my family and little old blonde me.

Do you think that todays kids would take part in anything like that, its hard to see an 8 year old with a boys brigade uniform on today.

Boys Brigade is still going, but not on the same scale.

I was in 56th St Andrews Church and used to go on Whitsing marches to Meersbrook park.

I think scouts and guides is a stronger organisation now.

my son joined as a child (beck road bb) shiregreen.

and still goes on expeditions etc and helps the little ones

who are still pouring in to join.

yes bb is still alive and kicking.

My son aged 7 goes to the younger group of BB, Anchor Boys at Hillsborough Tabernacle Church. I know it may seems bit dated and unfashionable these days but he loves it. For kids like my son who aren't into playing footaball or martial arts, it's something positive for him to do. There is very little for young kids to get involved in so I think it's great. The leaders put a lot of time and effort into running it and it's all done on a volunatry basis so I take my hat off to them.

My dad was in the Boys Brigade in what I assume was the late 40s/early 50s.. he was from Pitsmoor but I don't know which BB 'chapter ' he was in. We've got photos of him marching along beating the big drum. I think its the Whitsun marches at perhaps Firth Park or something like that.

Originally posted by FetishFairy

My son aged 7 goes to the younger group of BB, Anchor Boys at Hillsborough Tabernacle Church. I know it may seems bit dated and unfashionable these days but he loves it. For kids like my son who aren't into playing footaball or martial arts, it's something positive for him to do. There is very little for young kids to get involved in so I think it's great. The leaders put a lot of time and effort into running it and it's all done on a volunatry basis so I take my hat off to them.

It used to be called the Life Boys when I was in it in 1946.

Originally posted by Timbuck

It used to be called the Life Boys when I was in it in 1946.

Gee! you that old TIMBUCK ??

There maybe snow on the roof , but there's still a fire down below... Anyway look at the the Kettle calling the pot black.

I used to play the lead drum for the 37th Sheffield Boys Brigade of Hatfield House Lane Methodist Church, from '77 until about '82. Great days! I bet the band wouldn't be able to march around Shiregreen these days, either get the drums nicked or stoned to death.

Boys Brigade is still going, but not on the same scale.

I was in 56th St Andrews Church and used to go on Whitsing marches to Meersbrook park.

I think scouts and guides is a stronger organisation now.

Hey mikey, I think that I was in the same group in the late 40's-very early 50's.

That was the church across from Anns Road school wasn't it ?

I remember being in the Boys Brigade at the Weslyan Reform Chapel in Grimesthorpe although not sure what age I was then. I do remember the big Whitsun parades that used to happen though. Must have been early sixties then.

Great days

I used to be lead drummer in the 46th Sheffield Boys Brigade from Heeley St Peters church back in the 80s i guess now :)

great times.:)