Favourite Beatles Song Megathread

I was going to comment but what's the point?

Octopus's Garden is better than You Can't Do That?

Say no more.

Actually, having read through some of this blog, it's quite witty and informative. But I certainly don't agree with the song order.

Indeed, the Beatles only made about three naff songs: Yellow Submarine, Don't Pass Me By and er, Maggie Mae?

Edited by Ousetunes

over rated boy band loved by teenage girls

The benchmark against which we can compare the rest - their throwaway stuff would be the pinnacle of many a bands career.

No other band produced so many brilliant songs in such a short space of time.

And I don't think you'll find many teenage girls on this thread.

The benchmark against which we can compare the rest - their throwaway stuff would be the pinnacle of many a bands career.

well said, my 21 year old musician son told me & demonstrated some of the many technical innovations they invented/pioneered that are still used today [by proper musicians that can do em-lol] awsome.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Edited by Ousetunes

I saw this on another forum and thought it was worth posting here: http://magazine.jamsbio.com/2009/01/05/playing-the-beatles-backwards-the-ultimate-countdown/20/

These are the Beatles songs from worst to best, according to someone. I Want You (She's So Heavy), Yer Blues, Long, Long, Long, Old Brown Shoe - all in the bottom 10?? How different our opinions are!

And All You Need Is Love certainly wouldn't be in my top 20.

The list is Jacksons but some of the little essays on the songs are mildly thought provoking.

Yer Blues (@ 182!!) is a crucial part of 'The Beatles'. That whole side three would not be the same without it.

What Jamsbio misses out on is its link with the free Lennon, the ex-Beatle who would use the grunge-like elements of Yer Blues on songs like Well, Well, Well and I Found Out. Both songs, found on his first serious solo album John Lennon/Plastic Ono Band are based around a heavy guitar riff (usually played in an 'open' key). He would use this approach again in songs like Cold Turkey. Furthermore, the fifties echo used in Yer Blues would become central to the way John Lennon/Plastic Ono band would be recorded.

Lennon even performed Yer Blues live with the Plastic Ono Band in 1969.

The song obviously meant something to Lennon as it did McCartney. The latter finally came up with a riff to rival those of the likes of Cold Turkey on Let Me Roll It, from the acclaimed Band On The Run album.

Even as late as 1974, McCartney was still looking up to his former song writing buddy and partner.

However, as much as I disagree with what's said about Ask Me Why, I find the following comment on Little Child (admittedly, not up there with the greats) quite funny:

'You have to give “Little Child” some credit. It manages to cram a whole bunch of early-60’s Beatles cliches into it’s 1 minute and 45 seconds of existence. Let’s go down the list, shall we: Dance-hall setting? Check. Prominent harmonica? Bingo. Lots of “Oh, yeahs” and “Come ons”? You got it. Some general whooping and hollering for effect? Put it in the books, baby.'

Edited by Ousetunes

Except me! (well, I was still a teen when the thread was started, anyway).

I'm sure I'm very much in the minority though - infact, whilst the majority of fans of the Beatles when they started out may have been young girls, the demographic seems to have changed somewhat. How many younger teenage girls nowadays are into that type of music? Although who knows, maybe there are more than I think...

Don't know if anyone has seen this but Abbey Road is under threat due to the financial status of EMI. Wouldn't it be great if the National Trust saved it for the nation. Vote here

http://www.nationaltrust.org.uk/main/w-global/w-news/w-latest_news/w-news-should-national-trust-save-abbey-road-studios.htm

I would hope McCartney would chip in a few bob - how about royalties from the awful Mulligans Tyres and the one with the frog chorus by way of compensation.