Favourite Beatles Song Megathread

But thats what i loved about it, the passion in his voice. Or that he'd been recording all day and this was his last one! :)

Oh don't get me wrong, I love the way he uses his voice on the song, I wasn't putting it down :)

Oh don't get me wrong, I love the way he uses his voice on the song, I wasn't putting it down :)

I know you wasn't...bless ya :)

Ousetunes & Tarquin

George is back now!

Happy? :P

(I often think of George's Behind That Locked Door and Let It Down kind of being the the same, but the other way round. The former has a very slow, laid back feel, and then you're thrown into the big, passionate sound of Let It Down that follows it. Brilliant stuff).

I received All Things Must Pass on CD for Christmas 1988 and listened to it non stop. I would light some California Orange incense, put the album on and have a lay on my bed (usually after tea but regularly after a night or lunchtime's drinking session).

I would be so chilled listening to ATMP and begin to drift off into a peaceful sleep. I could last as far as Behind That Locked Door (if I were a song I think this would be it) and the calmness in that song would see my eyelids finally give in....

...only for them to be startled by the crashing chord of Let It Down! That song always woke me back up! The same would happen further on the album with Apple Scruffs and Awaiting On you All (I even had a CD multiplayer back then).

Nice to see Our George back as your avatar (but what were you thinking, tut, tut!!).

1. In My Life (Possibly the best song in terms of lyrics that Lennon ever wrote. He really gave it that personal touch that you don't find on many Beatles tracks.)

This was a rare example ot a tune by McCartney with lyrics by Lennon.

2. While MY Guitar Gently Weeps - Acoustic Version (A work of genious by Harrison. For those of you that don't know' date=' he actually wrote the song based on the line "Gently Weeps" from a book he randomly picked up. It has a sad but sweet tune to it.)[/quote']

George's finest hour in my book. Nice version on Hank Marvin's new album btw.

3. Yesterday (I hate McCartney but it's a brilliant song that I think hits the spot with almost anyone)

Why on earth hate McCartney? He's a genius, was an integral part of the Beatles, and always paid his taxes.

I received All Things Must Pass on CD for Christmas 1988 and listened to it non stop. I would light some California Orange incense, put the album on and have a lay on my bed (usually after tea but regularly after a night or lunchtime's drinking session).

I would be so chilled listening to ATMP and begin to drift off into a peaceful sleep. I could last as far as Behind That Locked Door (if I were a song I think this would be it) and the calmness in that song would see my eyelids finally give in....

...only for them to be startled by the crashing chord of Let It Down! That song always woke me back up! The same would happen further on the album with Apple Scruffs and Awaiting On you All (I even had a CD multiplayer back then).

Nice to see Our George back as your avatar (but what were you thinking, tut, tut!!).

I know what you mean, it's an album you can completely lose yourself in (I know I do; especially with Ballad of Sir Frankie Crisp (Let It Roll), which remains one of my favourite songs, not just by George, but ever. Pete Drakes pedal steel guitar absolutely makes that song).

This is a difficult one. The best era for me would be after the 'fab four' stuff and before they went full on hippy dippy. So, it's got to be that Rubber Soul/ Revolver period when they became a first class rock band. Here goes...........although i'll have changed my mind after i've posted this.......

1. Drive my Car......Great Motown/RnB sound

2. She Said She Said......The drum fills in the intro and first verse are mindblowing.

3. Paperback Writer.......if only for that blazing guitar sound in the intro.

4. Nowhere Man.......That glassy sounding guitar solo every time.

5. Taxman........Great Ska type chops and spot on lyrics. Insane guitar solo and cool bassline.

4. Nowhere Man.......That glassy sounding guitar solo every time.

It's interesting to note that Macdonald, in Revolution In The Head describes Nowhere Man as 'dirge-like'. Whilst the song lasts a middle eight too long, I think that's unjustified criticism.

(A further problem came by way of the album's running order, which saw the la-la-la backing vocals on Paul's You Won't See Me, replicated on Nowhere Man, the song which followed You Won't See Me.)

However, I agree about what you call a 'glassy sounding guitar solo' and this is the highlight of the song for me. Typically, a well-structured solo from George, the brightness makes such an impact probably because it is played on a Fender Stratocaster (in Sonic Blue*), a guitar whose single-coil pick-ups are renowned for their bright, trebly sound. George would at this point - October 1965 - ditch his usual Gretsch and Rickenbacker guitars in favour of Fenders. (Lennon would favour Epiphone guitars.)

George cleverly ends his solo on a harmonic, bringing further gloss and colour to the passage.

(* This guitar would later be stripped down and painted in psychedelic colours - by George himself - and set up for slide. You can see this in the I Am The Walrus segment of the Magical Mystery Tour film.)

Why on earth hate McCartney? He's a genius, was an integral part of the Beatles, and always paid his taxes.

Ok hate is a strong word...

I very much dislike him.

After him saying things in interviews about being the ONLY reason the Beatles were a success and claiming half of Lennons work as his own.

Just a side note: There is still dispute that Paul wrote or just helped write the melody for In My Life. John says that Paul just helped him out on one section of the melody where as Paul claims he wrote it all.

-Michael

After him saying things in interviews about being the ONLY reason the Beatles were a success and claiming half of Lennons work as his own.

Be interested to see where he said such a thing. The agreement that Lennon and McCartney share writing credits on all their songs is claiming half of each others work as their own. Can't see how McCartney did anything different from Lennon. Yoko is still entitled to half the royalties etc on all the "Lennon/McCartney" songs which Paul wrote on his own, such as yesterday, which John didn't even appear on.

It's interesting to note that Macdonald, in Revolution In The Head describes Nowhere Man as 'dirge-like'. Whilst the song lasts a middle eight too long, I think that's unjustified criticism.

(A further problem came by way of the album's running order, which saw the la-la-la backing vocals on Paul's You Won't See Me, replicated on Nowhere Man, the song which followed You Won't See Me.)

However, I agree about what you call a 'glassy sounding guitar solo' and this is the highlight of the song for me. Typically, a well-structured solo from George, the brightness makes such an impact probably because it is played on a Fender Stratocaster (in Sonic Blue*), a guitar whose single-coil pick-ups are renowned for their bright, trebly sound. George would at this point - October 1965 - ditch his usual Gretsch and Rickenbacker guitars in favour of Fenders. (Lennon would favour Epiphone guitars.)

George cleverly ends his solo on a harmonic, bringing further gloss and colour to the passage.

(* This guitar would later be stripped down and painted in psychedelic colours - by George himself - and set up for slide. You can see this in the I Am The Walrus segment of the Magical Mystery Tour film.)

Nowhere man a dirge ? Not a chance.Great solo indeed, very chordal in construction,simple but very effective