Favourite Beatles Song Megathread

Liam Gallagher is, according to the press, creating a film based on one of the finest Beatles related books ever, Richard DiLello's Longest Cocktail Party.

The book, written in the first person, is an account of the mess that was Apple, the Beatles (supposed) record label from 1967-1970 and all the drop-outs who frequented the building during that time.

Should make for a superb film (just so long as Oasis don't provide the soundtrack!).

Blimey, this thread must have taken some finding, Ousetunes.

Link here about the film: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/8669534.stm

(just so long as Oasis don't provide the soundtrack!).

I echo that sentiment - it's just as well that they're no more.:thumbsup:

A Let It Be radio documentary was broadcast on BBC Radio 2 last week to mark the 40th anniversary of the album and film.

I've yet to listen so I don't know if it's all stuff we've heard a 100 times before, but if you do plan to take a listen, there's only today and tomorrow left to do so.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b00sgzzz/Let_It_Be_40th_Anniversary/

A Let It Be radio documentary was broadcast on BBC Radio 2 last week to mark the 40th anniversary of the album and film.

I've yet to listen so I don't know if it's all stuff we've heard a 100 times before, but if you do plan to take a listen, there's only today and tomorrow left to do so.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b00sgzzz/Let_It_Be_40th_Anniversary/

Jen, it was the usual stuff we've heard time and time again.

Better was a programme on Radio Two on Monday evening - June 1st - at 10pm which was the story of the swinging sixties told by those who were there and part of the scene.

Very good programme with some wonderful sound bites from the likes of Dusty Springfield and others.

The official DVD of the Let It Be movie has been in the pipeline for years now and still shows no sign of appearing.

Meanwhile a dodgy S.E.Asian pirate DVD of LIB has flooded the Australian market, even popping up in legit music chain stores.

It's not bad quality and even has menus, but is obviously taken from a video with no extras.

The liner notes are full of spelling mistakes and mis-translations too.

Still, for around £8 it's worth watching until the long-promised official version appears.

Let It Be is long-overdue and it's ridiculous that we are kept waiting for an official release.

Having said that, it's a pretty dire affair, only good for the live roof top performance.

It should be totally remastered, re-packaged and the set should include other videos of the Beatles from 1969 (like Something).

I also believe we should have the official version of Get Back with the original song-list. This set was replaced with the (inferior) Let It Be album we finally got in 1970.

There's a lot of rough, aimless playing in the early part of the Let It Be, movie, agreed. But now and then there are some magical moments. The rocked-up version of Two Of Us for example, with John and Paul throwing shapes is really special.

When the action moves from Twickenham to the basement of the Apple building in Savile Row, things pick up noticeably and the arrival of Billy Preston only improves matters.

I also love the famous scenes showing George and Paul bickering :hihi:

For a very interesting listen search for "The Beatles Never Broke Up"

It's amazing mix of Post-beatles work, to create an album that supposes what if the beatles never broke up?

For a very interesting listen search for "The Beatles Never Broke Up"

It's amazing mix of Post-beatles work, to create an album that supposes what if the beatles never broke up?

I'm glad they did call it a day when they did.

Otherwise, we would probably never have heard most of the songs which made the magnificent All Things Must Pass set.

I love the Beatles' solo output, from McCartney, through Lennon/Plastic Ono Band to Cloud Nine and beyond.

I'm glad they did call it a day when they did.

Otherwise, we would probably never have heard most of the songs which made the magnificent All Things Must Pass set.

I love the Beatles' solo output, from McCartney, through Lennon/Plastic Ono Band to Cloud Nine and beyond.

In retrospect, so am I.

They left us the perfect legacy: nary a bad record from start to finish and they went out on top.

oh, The Beatles!

they will always live in my heart, brain and blood

what a band! love them

Watched the Lennon Naked programme on BBC4 over the weekend.

It only scratched the surface and I'm not sure whether I enjoyed it or not. We all know Lennon could be like barbed wire and extremely cynical, but it appeared in this film that he was a damaged soul who could not move on from the separation of his parents and his having to decide which one to go with.

The Arthur Janov section, regarding primal therapy was almost rushed and all we got to hear was a clipped version of Mother. Hardly Lennon going through the phases of addressing his insecurities....

On a positive note, the guy who played McCartney was quite convincing but the whole programme just did not offer enough. The subject matter - Lennon finding Yoko and exorcising his demons - is a cracking theme for a Beatles related film and I genuinely feel this could be done a lot, lot better.