Favourite Beatles Song Megathread

50 would be tricky -but 5 !!!!

There's a Place

I'm so Tired

Girl

Don't Let Me Down

You Can't Do That

An eclectic and refreshing choice.:thumbsup: (Although I must presume you're a bit of a Lennon fan as Paul and George don't really get a look in here!)

I too like There's A Place. It's about as 'live' as the Beatles got, recorded like the majority of Please Please Me tracks in the studio in session. It still sounds live and 'fresh' and fits brilliantly on Please Please Me, a cross between the album's title-track (which IMO is superior to this song) and the closing song Twist And Shout.

Girl is simply wonderful. I listened to Rubber Soul the other day and I think I'm beginning to re-appraise the whole album. When you consider that its predecessor is the rather tame Help!, this is one giant leap creatively and musically. (And sonically, too.) Girl is actually a very simple song but it's Lennon's vocal - largely single-tracked - which makes the song what it is. (Macdonald cites Girl as Lennon's answer to Paul's Michelle.) I wonder if the long intake of breath on the chorus is taking the mickey out of smoking dope while cutting the live vocal? It was recorded on 11th November 1965, the last song for Rubber Soul.

(While on the subject of Rubber Soul and my re-appraising it, I can't believe just how good an opener Drive My Car is! White soul music at its finest, Macca's She's A Woman-like lead vocal and George and John's sardonic harmonies. The re-mastered version sounds ace.)

I'm So Tired again has a wonderful sound to it, a nice depth (thanks to Abbey Road's new 8 track recording console). McCartney's harmony is really prominent. It was recorded toward the end of the White Album sessions on October 8th 1968.

Don't Let Me Down is one of my favourite Beatles b-sides. Beautifully produced and featuring wonderful musicianship, especially from McCartney and Starr, the latter getting the feel spot-on (nice hi-hat play toward the end of the song). In fact, whisper it, but I think it's better than its a-side, Get Back.

Finally, You Can't Do That. What a great choice. AHDN is, IMO seriously underrated and one of those albums which should be played from start to finish as every song suits the others perfectly. I particularly love the vocal arrangement on You Can't Do That with George and Paul 'answering' Lennon's rough lead vocal. (Listen for George's inflection on the final 'gonna let you down and leave YOU flat'.). Dig the cowbell, Ringo's drumming and the interplay between George's 12 string guitar and Lennon's lead/rhythm instrumental break (which has to be 'cut in' as it cannot be played by one guitarist and sound like THAT!). And I like the end where it waits half a bar before sliding up to close.

Edited by Ousetunes

Many thanks to JenC and Ousetunes for their responses to my Lennon list. I suppose my choices were a bit one-eyed but like so many others I take the sheer genius of the Maccaman for granted. I have always been intrigued by the fact that the writing credits on Please Please Me were McCartney/Lennon (apart from the covers) but the reverse gear was applied in time for the next album. A hard days night or two in Barcelona,methinks.

My last post was a bit premature - in the interests of balance I would like to compile my all Paul fab five: -

Hey Jude - sorry 'ol blue eyes but this is the greatest love song of all time - by a distance - whoever it was written for.

Good Day Sunshine - always give it a blast at the end of a long cold lonely winter when I go out and drive my car.

I Saw Her Standing There - the first of the first and very much a personal fav as I can clear a room in 30 seconds or less with my interpretation of this classic very handy when the party has gone on just a little too long.

All Together Now - a bit of a longshot but I am a big kid at heart. I also love the choice of colours after the line "Can I take my friend to bed?"

The Long Medley - unsurpassable. I know it's cheating a bit to include this but it's mainly Macca and it would be mean of Pam to object because JL contributed a few snippets.

All Together Now - a bit of a longshot but I am a big kid at heart. I also love the choice of colours after the line "Can I take my friend to bed?"

One of the best lines Macca ever sung as a Beatle:

"Pink, brown, yellow, OLANGE (sic) and blue, I love you.":hihi:

One of the best lines Macca ever sung as a Beatle:

"Pink, brown, yellow, OLANGE (sic) and blue, I love you.":hihi:

I've never noticed that before!

Fun choice though Devcatter. I think it's only fair to make a George list now. ;)

Fun choice though Devcatter. I think it's only fair to make a George list now. ;)

While My Guitar Gently Weeps - the acoustic version with the extra verse (Anthology 3).

Taxman - gave Paul Weller a start.

Something - second best love song of all time.

Here Comes The Sun - more relevant than ever this year.

For You Blue - love to watch the band performing this on Let It Be.

P.S. Please don't ask for a startling Ringo list

Can we include the obscure stuff, Jen?

1 - The Inner Light

2 - Something

3 - Sheik Of Araby

4 - While My Guitar (Acoustic)

5 - Three Cool Cats

Bubbling under: Here Comes The Sun and If I Needed Someone.

While My Guitar Gently Weeps - the acoustic version with the extra verse (Anthology 3).

Taxman - gave Paul Weller a start.

Something - second best love song of all time.

Here Comes The Sun - more relevant than ever this year.

For You Blue - love to watch the band performing this on Let It Be.

Gave Paul Weller a career, more like!

Superb choice - that version is incredibly moving.

I shan't, don't worry. :hihi:

Superb choice - that version is incredibly moving.

I shan't, don't worry. :hihi:

OK.

I'll do it then.

1-Goodnight.

2-Goodnight.

3-Goodnight.

4-Goodnight.

5-Goodnight.

Can we include the obscure stuff, Jen?

1 - The Inner Light

2 - Something

3 - Sheik Of Araby

4 - While My Guitar (Acoustic)

5 - Three Cool Cats

Bubbling under: Here Comes The Sun and If I Needed Someone.

Here Comes The Sun - I used to name that as one of my favourite Beatles songs, yet I wouldn't even call it one of my favourite George songs now. I still like it a lot, but there are others I find far superior now.

My list, as follows (in no order):

1. Long, Long, Long

2. Something

3. While My Guitar Gently Weeps (acoustic and album versions - I love them both).

4. Love You To

5. The Inner Light

Just missing the cut: If I Needed Someone (one of my favourite tracks from Rubber Soul) and Old Brown Shoe.

(NB. Ousetunes, I've been trying to write you an email about The Queen Is Dead for about an hour but I keep getting distracted so it'll have to wait until Monday now. :))

Edited by JenC

Ringo's best drumming performances with the Beatles:

1 Rain

2 I'm Gonna Sit Right Down And Cry Over You

3 Something

4 Don't Let Me Down

5 Old Brown Shoe *

6 Please Please Me

7 Cry, Baby, Cry

8 I Want To Hold Your Hand

9 She Loves You

10 Yer Blues

* Somehow missed this out of my top 5 Harrisongs. Let it come crashing in at number 1. Shame on me....,

Edited by Ousetunes