Favourite Beatles Song Megathread

All you need is love

real love

paperback writer

nowhere man

mystery tour

Good post.

I agree with Mr Moonlight, it truly is the turd hidden amongst the gems of the Beatles recording catalogue. Why did they not substitute Little Willie John's Leave My Kitten Alone with Ringo on lead vocals? Whilst the latter track was by no means brilliant, it was superior to this mess and it at least carried some excitement (something generally accepted as missing from Beatles For Sale).

I also agree with you regarding arguably Harrison's worst composition as a Beatle (recorded in February 1967 but not released until January 1969). It's a messy affair and might better have been left aside.

I must disagree strongly though with Harrison's Old Brown Shoe, a fantastic BEATLES performance and (poorly mixed vocals aside) one of the finest songs of their latter years.

Featuring ultra-tight drumming from Ringo who really gets into the shuffle mood, exciting bass from Paul and a nice and tidy guitar solo from George, this is the one song where the Beatles seem to play like the close, tight unit they once were! (Contrast this with the rushed John and Paul affair of the song's a-side, The Ballad of John And Yoko.)

And yes, Revolution 9 is still magnificent.

Hmmmm. This is an interesting one. I certainly agree that 'Old Brown Shoe' is a great track. 'Mr Moonlight' is indeed appalling. I've never been that fond of "When I Get Home". I've never liked "Yellow Submarine" either. "Wild Honey Pie" is pretty pointless too.

I honestly can't think of a fifth bad track at the moment.

I see Sexy Sadie has died.

I see Sexy Sadie has died.

Indeed.

They reckon he must have been about 91. He looked that age when he posed with 'the boys' back in 1967/8!!

Whatever DID go on in and around the Maharishi's ashram, that journey out to India resulted in some superb songwriting and of course, you mention one of the better songs. It was the last moment's peace before the Beatles returned to England to literally fall apart at the seams.

John thought the Maharishi was a fake; Paul had doubts; Ringo didn't care because he didn't like the food. George embraced his teachings and never looked back. The Maharishi helped the Beatles get through the sudden death of Brian Epstein.

But change the words of Sexy Sadie back to the original (with expletives) and the whole thing takes on a sinister effect:

Maharishi, you stupid ****

You made a fool of everyone!

Rest in peace, 'giggling Guru'.

I do believe Mr Sadie had more than just a "passing interest" in Ms Farrow;)

Let it be

Imagine

Hey Jude

While my guitar gently weeps

Hello goodbye something

I honestly can't think of a fifth bad track at the moment.

Can i forward 'Honey Pie' off of The White Album. Truly awful.

Can i forward 'Honey Pie' off of The White Album. Truly awful.

I don't mind 'Honey Pie' actually. OK, it's as cheesy as they got, but it's ok, not total dross. 'Why Don't We Do It In The Road?' could be a contender though.

I was trying to keep 'Only A Northern Song' out of it because it's too easy to pick on. It's like kicking a puppy.

I don't mind 'Honey Pie' actually. OK, it's as cheesy as they got, but it's ok, not total dross. 'Why Don't We Do It In The Road?' could be a contender though.

I was trying to keep 'Only A Northern Song' out of it because it's too easy to pick on. It's like kicking a puppy.

Classic bit of Mccartney vocals on "Why don't we do it in the road",though

Classic bit of Mccartney vocals on "Why don't we do it in the road",though

Yeah, true. It just smacks of "How do we fill this couple of minutes?" to me. That said, it's not the only song which fits that category.

Just been listening to the "White album" again tonight:cool:.(whilst jamming to it on the guitar & bass)What a truly brilliant album.Never to be achieved again by any artiste ?