Sign in to follow this  

Smoking with Cancer

Visiting my mother in St Lukes earlier this year in the main sitting room is a conservatory used as a smoking room.

I could hardly breath when i went near that room with people smoking.

Don't these people care, i mean they already have cancer, what does it take for these people to realise and stop.

I think when they're in St Lukes, they know they are going to pass away farily soon in any case.

Thus, they smoke because it eases stress.

Originally posted by The Cycleracer

When i visited my mum in St Lukes hospice earlier this year i walked into an area which is a conservatory attached to the main sitting room and the patients there wwere smoking their heads off.

I mean come on, are these people completely ignorant or simply rushing there illness on.

I could barely breath in there.

My Mum has terminal lung/heart (metastased from breast) cancer and the consultant old her she could smoke and drink as much as she liked....once you've actually got a tumour, smoking isn't going to speed up it's growth.

Mt mother also was in St Lukes and has sadly passed away now. She was diagnosed with Lung Cancer, and she too smoked the occasional fag when she new it was this that would eventually kill her. I guess once its too late why take away the only pleasure you may have left.

By the time you're at St Lukes its too late. Once diagnosed you've got 3-6 months, little chance of effective treatment. Thats why the doctors, normally not keen on using opiates become very free with them. Becoming addicted is the least of your problems. It's not a nice way to go so let them have anything that helps.

Far worse is when you visit a lung cancer patient at home, the whole family is gathered round watching dad die - and smoking. Are they stupid? (Correct answer: Yes).

Anyway as I said in another thread http://www.sheffieldforum.co.uk/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1776 from a government perspective it's a very cost effective way to dispose of non-productive tax generators.