Hull Boxer gets suspended sentence after vicious attack

Did anyone see the footage on calender news?

http://www.itvlocal.com/yorkshire/news/ ( video footage appears after the helicopter tragedy report)

I can't find any links to the news story on any other sites. It just seems disgusting to me that a man can get away with deliberately causing bodily harm to another, causing serious injuries, that could have potentially resulted in death, in a vicious street attack and the judge gives him a 12 month suspended sentence because it is expected that the perpetrator, who happens to be a boxer, is set to represent us in the Bejiing olympics. I am absolutely disgusted at this ridiculous decision. What message does this send out to these type of thugs and the poor people they prey on?

A"custodial sentence would have destroyed his Olympics".Tough,should have been locked up

A"custodial sentence would have destroyed his Olympics".Tough,should have been locked up

Yes. I also thought that it was impressed on boxers, in their strict training and disciplined regime that they must NEVER get involved in using their skills against Joe Public. So it's not saying much about our standards is it, if we're going to let him represent our country. This sentence, or lack of it, should be immediately repealed.

He should have received a tougher sentence not a more lenient one, as a trained boxer he should know better.

Hate second guessing the right outcome of trials when not in possession of all the facts, but it's unusual for someone to ecsape a custodial sentence where one was indicated, because they would miss out on sporting glory.

If it's true, then obviously its not right..maybe the judge should have made it conditional that he give his medal to his victim if he wins anything!

Hate second guessing the right outcome of trials when not in possession of all the facts, but it's unusual for someone to ecsape a custodial sentence where one was indicated, because they would miss out on sporting glory.

If it's true, then obviously its not right..maybe the judge should have made it conditional that he give his medal to his victim if he wins anything!

Please feel free to follow the link to the news footage, I posted. It's a shame I can't find a link to a printed version. I too find it incredible. Although Calender might not have the credibility of some other news sources, I have found them usually to get their facts right, unlike the Star.

It seems that the judge enjoys living in his 'bubble'. Maybe if one of his loved ones had been viciously attacked by such animals, he'd appreciate how this hits families.

Please feel free to follow the link to the news footage, I posted. It's a shame I can't find a link to a printed version. I too find it incredible. Although Calender might not have the credibility of some other news sources, I have found them usually to get their facts right, unlike the Star.

It seems that the judge enjoys living in his 'bubble'. Maybe if one of his loved ones had been viciously attacked by such animals, he'd appreciate how this hits families.

Thanks Diva, I had seen the link to the news footage :)

It's a bloody joke, its like these footballers who get away with allsorts, just cause they play for a team or represent the country they think they can get away with murder!

they should get longer sentences than joe public as they should have more sense and people look upto them, so they are not setting good standards to younger fans!!!!

Mmmm. This is the only link I can find, other than the one above. It does not refer to the vicious attack but it does mention that he his hoping to turn professional in 2008. Does turning 'pro' mean you can still enter the olympics now then?

http://www.sporthull.co.uk/boxing/latest_news/displayarticle.php?ID=4268

At last, got a link now on this story, judging from the comments of the site users, we're not the only ones who think this is an absolute disgrace. Hopefully, the boxing federation will show more common sense and public decency than the judge.

http://www.thisishullandeastriding.co.uk/displayNode.jsp?nodeId=251483&command=displayContent&sourceNode=228411&home=yes&more_nodeId1=243834&contentPK=19686537

A Boxer who fractured a man's jaw and kicked another man 10 times has been given a second chance to pursue his Olympic dream.

Samir Mouneimne was told he avoided jail by the "skin of his teeth" after Hull Crown Court heard he might have a chance of going to the Beijing Olympics this year.

The 20-year-old featherweight boxer, ranked number two in the country, was found guilty of assault occasioning actual bodily harm after breaking the jaw of a barman at Venue in George Street, city centre, on June 15 last year.

The bar is owned by the amateur boxer's father.

He also admitted taking part in a violent attack with three of his friends in which he kicked a man to his head and body 10 times, punched him and stamped on him. This attack happened in George Street, two days after the first assault.

Mouneimne's coach Michael Bromby, who is also a Great Britain and England coach, told the court if the boxer, of Spring Grove, west Hull, was spared jail he might make it to the games in China, with the final selection still being decided.

He said: "If he goes to prison his Great Britain career and the Olympics is over.

"He has been training with vigour, he has put everything into it. He is as good as any of the champions I have trained. I have seen him develop as an athlete and just before these incidents he reached the national finals and boxed for England against Sweden."

The court was shown CCTV footage of the violence committed by Mouneimne and his friends, Liam Casey, 20, of Bricknell Avenue, west Hull; Mark O'Connor, 19, of Grangeside Avenue, west Hull; and Daniel Fairburn, 19, of Hackforth Walk, west Hull.

It showed them all kicking, punching and stamping on a man until he was unconscious. They even attacked a man who came to his aid.

Recorder Julian Goose QC said: "It was violent disorder of a very serious kind. This is a case where a custodial sentence is absolutely justified.

"I have thought long and hard whether to suspend it or not. But I take into account your age and that you have not in the past been involved in anything like this.

"It is possible, but only just by the skin of your teeth, for me to hold back from custody."

Mouneimne's barrister Richard Woolfall told the court he had suffered racial abuse from the man he and his friends attacked for the past two years.

He said that on the night of the incident Mouneimne had seen the man assaulting one of his friends and had come to his aid.

Two nights before, in the incident at his father's bar, Mouneimne swung at barman Michael Buntin four times after becoming angry that he was thrown out after helping to eject some troublemakers.

Mouneimne had become angry with Mr Buntin because his father had sacked him from working at the bar after hearing about the incident.

Mr Buntin, who suffered a broken jaw in the attack, told the court: "He grabbed hold of my wrists. He was shouting, 'I have lost my job. I am going to kill you.' I told him, 'Just forget about it, go home, leave it.'

"Without warning he threw four punches at me, two of them hit me. I had my arms full of glasses, which dropped to the floor.

"The first punch landed on the left side of my jaw. The second hit around my temple area. Luckily, the others missed. I was crying with the pain."

Mouneimne was given a 12-month sentence suspended for two years and was ordered to carry out 250 hours of unpaid work in the community. He was also given a curfew.

He was ordered to pay Mr Buntin £750 in compensation.

Casey, O'Connor and Fairburn were given nine-month prison sentences suspended for two years, ordered to undertake 250 hours of unpaid work in the community and given curfews for five months.

Eric Hoyland, secretary of the Yorkshire division of the Amateur Boxing Association of England (ABAE), said: "It's the last thing in the world we want. Boxers know they cannot behave like this.

"Anybody who strays away from what's regarded as proper behaviour will be dealt with.

"The disciplinary panel will meet and he will come before them, and they will decide what's appropriate."

He said the panel has the power to suspend ABAE registered boxers from bouts.

He said if suspended, Mouneimne would be unable to compete in the Olympics.

Detective Constable Darren Rose said: "These individuals behaved extremely violently in full view of other members of the public. Detectives will not tolerate this type of behaviour."

Lets just hope that the British board of boxing revoke his licence

Have you guys seen the video, the attack took place infront of loads of people....how the F can he get away with that?