Littlewood's vinegar

You can still buy Non-Brewed-Condiment from the fruit shop in Hillsborough, but its like gold dust anywhere else.

Most Chippys use Non Brewed Condiment. They buy it concentrated in 1 gallon tubs. Dilute 8 to 1 or 16 to one. depends how much they use.

2 hours ago, Lord Lucan said:

Most Chippys use Non Brewed Condiment. They buy it concentrated in 1 gallon tubs. Dilute 8 to 1 or 16 to one. depends how much they use.

You may as well put water on your chips, some chip shops I’ve visited over the years diluted the vinegar so much it was just like coloured water.

Yes, ......  Non Brewed Condiment is a cheap substitute for Malt Vinegar.

18 hours ago, bluetop said:

You can still buy Non-Brewed-Condiment from the fruit shop in Hillsborough, but its like gold dust anywhere else.

You can buy it in Morrisons, I always do because I can't  stand the taste of malt  vinegar.

I remember a place when I was a kid just up from the Farfield Hotel at Hillfoot that dealt in wooden barrels of vinegar or acetic acid,it was on a corner at the bottom of Farfield Road!.Perhaps Hillsbro could find it in one of his directories,there was always a strong smell of vinegar coming from the place!.

1 hour ago, old tup said:

I remember a place when I was a kid just up from the Farfield Hotel at Hillfoot that dealt in wooden barrels of vinegar or acetic acid,it was on a corner at the bottom of Farfield Road!.Perhaps Hillsbro could find it in one of his directories,there was always a strong smell of vinegar coming from the place!.

The old chapel,

Hallamshire Vinegar Co. Ltd 

In the 1959 Kellys  directory the vinegar company whose yard we use to play in before the smell over took us was called Sheffield Vinegar Company at the bottom of Netherthorpe Street.