How long does it take to get a council house on priority?

My daughter has been in a council B&B since mid October and was given her proirity just last week. They are currently paying £57 per night for her to stay there. Surely it would be cheaper to re-house people quicker?

Indeed it would, but the problem is not the speed of the processes, it's the lack of properties. It's like when you pour water into a funnel: because there's not enough room for all the water to go through at once, some of it backs up. Because there aren't enough properties for all who need them, lots of them wait in temporary accommodation until something suitable comes up. And the council is still losing over 1000 properties per year to Right to Buy, so it's likely to get worse.

Indeed it would, but the problem is not the speed of the processes, it's the lack of properties. It's like when you pour water into a funnel: because there's not enough room for all the water to go through at once, some of it backs up. Because there aren't enough properties for all who need them, lots of them wait in temporary accommodation until something suitable comes up. And the council is still losing over 1000 properties per year to Right to Buy, so it's likely to get worse.

Is that correct about losing 1000 properties a year to RTB????

Is that correct about losing 1000 properties a year to RTB????

Nearer 1200. Crap, isn't it? And all this time, councils have been prevented from building replacements, and housing associations can't build nearly enough to keep up.

Nearer 1200. Crap, isn't it? And all this time, councils have been prevented from building replacements, and housing associations can't build nearly enough to keep up.

I'm now under the disctinct impression that this is part of a plan. If you think about it, it achieves two aims with one stone.

1. they no longer have to force anyone to get a job - no job = no home. No social housing and pressure from immigration taking up all the slack, plus so much of the market is private landlords who do not take DSS.

2. a new market has been created with buy to let. There are hundreds of thousands of people getting into this market, it's a whole new sector. New mone coming into the markets.

Genious really.

Here you go http://www.sheffield.gov.uk/your-city-council/sheffield-facts-figures/housing-facts-and-figures

Over 1300 properties a year lost to right to buy in the last 5 years. At this rate, in one generation they'll all be gone. And some of the people who bought their house through right to buy (with chunky discount thrown in) then build up waiting time again, and successfully bid for ANOTHER council property, which they can also buy after 2 years. Disgraceful, they should end it now.

Here you go http://www.sheffield.gov.uk/your-city-council/sheffield-facts-figures/housing-facts-and-figures

Over 1300 properties a year lost to right to buy in the last 5 years. At this rate, in one generation they'll all be gone. And some of the people who bought their house through right to buy (with chunky discount thrown in) then build up waiting time again, and successfully bid for ANOTHER council property, which they can also buy after 2 years. Disgraceful, they should end it now.

I agree, I think now that most 'council' estates have become mixed tenure, RTB should not apply to any new tenants. Perhaps also an expiry date - ie 'RTB will end in 2 years' for existing tenants - especially in areas where there are few social properties left. If there was no RTB, I'm sure the number of applicants would go down, leaving those who genuinely need social housing rather than those who see it as a good way to make a profit.

I just been given 6 week housing prioity on 17th january, south side restricted by the lovely council...... im a single gal, looking to either be slap bang in the centre of sheffield, or low edges jordanthorpe/batemoor.....

how long does it all take, cos i dont think i can cope with the stress much longer...

i keep bidding on properties, and stuff, and yea, keep seeing awaiting decision.

im a control freak and I hate all this not knowing and feeling so out of control..

need input

as they say knowledge is power

(o and hi by the way)

Luce

How long is a piece of string is the answer, really. Are you accepted as homeless, or for priority housing?

I just been given 6 week housing prioity on 17th january, south side restricted by the lovely council...... im a single gal, looking to either be slap bang in the centre of sheffield, or low edges jordanthorpe/batemoor.....

how long does it all take, cos i dont think i can cope with the stress much longer...

i keep bidding on properties, and stuff, and yea, keep seeing awaiting decision.

im a control freak and I hate all this not knowing and feeling so out of control..

need input

(o and hi by the way)

Luce

it took a friend of mine all in all 5 months from start to finish.

how long did it take you to get priority if you don't mind me asking?? :D

i've had mobility priority since june.......still waiting lol. mind you they dont come up very often. my neice had overcrowding priority and it took about 6 months

need input

(o and hi by the way)

Luce

hi luce we was on the waiting list for 6 months and i no how you feel it was the worst time of my life. only had our property for 3 months now, just watch out cus the council will put you in any old dump, and as for bidding for a home omg that is all we did for 6 months and then ended up with a house we hadnt bid for and it was in a right state even though we were told on viewing the property it would be all sorted before we moved in.

i know you probably didnt want to hear this but needed to warn you of the council. all i can say is good luck. will keep my fingers crossed for you.:)