Benefit thief - Should I report them?

Try this on for size then. Most of the biggest whingers on this thread will VOTE for FAR bigger cheats than any of those on benefits next time they visit the polling booth...fact!

We do have concensus on the basic premise that cheating is wrong.

However, some of you say it's ok because it's "legal" to scam tax and whatever else the system provides to the opportunist in public office.

To understand why it's legal, ask yourselves who makes the law. The "loopholes" that empower the worst cheats to prosper have bugger all to do with anyone on benefits.

To reiterate then. I loathe cheats! All of them! But especially the ones who have the power to effect change and do diddly squat.

The gravy train, I would humbly suggest, is a far better target for your frustrations than some "doley."

I have a lot of sympathy for what you say, but, with great respect, it's irrelevant. Is tax avoidance ok? Morally? As far as I'm concerned, no. Legally? Incontravertibly, yes.

There's little we can do about it due to how our set up is.

Should people commit benefit fraud? Morally? No. Legally? No.

That is why there's a difference. We both may not like it, but the two aren't comparable. Anyway, something we both agree about is the answer to the OP, which is for his/her conscience to take him/her down whichever path s/he goes.

Tricky Question ....They'll get caught anyway ...won't they :suspect: so the advert says :suspect:

No if's No but's ????

I would ! :cool:

I have a lot of sympathy for what you say, but, with great respect, it's irrelevant. Is tax avoidance ok? Morally? As far as I'm concerned, no. Legally? Incontravertibly, yes.

There's little we can do about it due to how our set up is.

Should people commit benefit fraud? Morally? No. Legally? No.

That is why there's a difference. We both may not like it, but the two aren't comparable. Anyway, something we both agree about is the answer to the OP, which is for his/her conscience to take him/her down whichever path s/he goes.

Nice one HH! Point made and taken.

Tricky Question ....They'll get caught anyway ...won't they :suspect: so the advert says :suspect:

No if's No but's ????

I would ! :cool:

Unless frontline staff suspect that something may be afoot, and refer to fraud themselves, without information from the public, nowt can be done.

Jobcentre Plus doesn't have gangs of people roaming around to check on every claimant!

If someone is caught, then they could well be in hot water. Would people report a burglar? It's pretty much the same thing.

Nice one HH! Point made and taken.

Don't surrender to HH's post so easily, SD!

Every law brought into the public domain by Government (bearing in mind Governments have vast legal facities to advise them at the taxpayer's expense) have loopholes built into them which only the rich in our society can afford to discover how seemingly "fair" and "equitable" legislation can be circumvented.

It has always been so, and always will be so! :rolleyes:

Every law brought into the public domain by Government (bearing in mind Governments have vast legal facities to advise them at the taxpayer's expense) have loopholes built into them which only the rich in our society can afford to discover how seemingly "fair" and "equitable" legislation can be circumvented.

And I agree with you my friend. In fact all three of us are in agreement here!

Unfortunately, your last sentence is the most telling ......

It doesn't stop the legality, or immorality of it all though .......

I was'nt aware of actually conceding anything. HH made a point and made it well.

I agreed with what was said and said so. This does not change my observation that the biggest cheats are not on benefits or that the law is written by those with, (allegedly), something to gain.

HH, as I understand it, more or less had some sympathy for that argument whilst pointing out that benefit cheating is illegal whilst some other forms are legal, like it or not.

If it makes you feel any better I would never vote for anyone who did not satisfy my rigorous standards in regard to perspicacity and honesty.

Thus it has been a while since I bothered.

Unfortunately, your last sentence is the most telling ......

It doesn't stop the legality, or immorality of it all though .......

I agree. But in a society where the rich can form/enact laws to suit their own ends, can one blame lesser mortals for ignoring the rules demanded of them under laws promoted and enacted by those in power who protect their own wellbeing/interests?

If Democracy is the rule of the people BY the people something is wrong. Nothing will change in the foreseeable future and the blame lies with a lot of the previous posters on this thread I believe.

Ranting on about benefit cheats will not change it fer sher!

Unless I've misunderstood it we elect people to parliament to represent our interests. So when did the tail start wagging the dog?

Can you trace it back...or has it always been the way?

I was'nt aware of actually conceding anything. HH made a point and made it well.

I agreed with what was said and said so. This does not change my observation that the biggest cheats are not on benefits or that the law is written by those with, (allegedly), something to gain.

HH, as I understand it, more or less had some sympathy for that argument whilst pointing out that benefit cheating is illegal whilst some other forms are legal, like it or not.

If it makes you feel any better I would never vote for anyone who did not satisfy my rigorous standards in regard to perspicacity and honesty.

Thus it has been a while since I bothered.

Which is why I spoil my vote, but that's a WHOLE different kettle of fish for another thread!

I agree. But in a society where the rich can form/enact laws to suit their own ends, can one blame lesser mortals for ignoring the rules demanded of them under laws promoted and enacted by those in power who protect their own wellbeing/interests?

I don't think there's any reason to blame people for grabbing a few quid on an occasion if they're at the brown end of the stick, but if someone is working regularly and taking from the communal pot illegally, it's poor form.

When I worked in a Jobcentre, I turned a blind eye to people who had said "My uncle gave me a tenner to clear his garden", that sort of thing.

If they're taking a working wage, why should they get more out of everyone's pot?

Does it really matter who are the biggest cheaters? They are all cheating in some way or another and like it or lump it the "rich" are doing legally the person in question is stealing from every single tax payer and should be forced to stop.

The big difference is that the rich are stealing millions and those who are working and claiming are just trying to earn enough to live.

The rich steal for greed, those on benefit steal for need.

This is harking back to the Victorian era so loved by Mrs Thatcher where stealing food was a major crime. The person stole just to stay alive, but this wasn't considered to be a good enough reason and were still given harsh punishments.

Keith