Heeley Doreen Hackerman

:help:I'm trying to trace the wear abouts and information about Doreen Hackerman.

She owned a fruit,veg and florists shop in Heeley on Well Road in the early 70's and lived in the Crookes area.

Her mother was called Irene or Eileen Morrison

What a character!!She was larger than life and so was her Mother. She died a few years ago .I'm not sure about her Mother she did survive Doreen but I don't know for how long. Doreen had Cancer but she fought right until the end I used to go to the house at Crookes to do her hair. Do you remember the fruit and veg shop and the colourful language they used to exchange? Doreen had had a very colourful life,holidays in the South of France which in Heeley was unbelievable. She married a GI at the end of the war went to America but soon came back. She was part f the old Sheffield Characters which alas are no more. Rhonda

I'm sure that she made the flowers for my wedding in June 1970. I went to the shop which was near to my home and told her what I wanted as I'd got an idea in my head. She came up with exactly the idea I had, I was amazed as it was only a little florists/greengrocers.

On the wedding day she brought the flowers to my home, they were gorgeous and exactly as I'd imagined them to be, they could have been from one of the major florists.

I do recall being in the shop when the heated exchanges were taking place but, she was a very good florist and good-hearted, a typical local character.

Hi Duffems, Doreen had really good taste as you say she had a really good heart.As I said before such a wonderfull character I had a Hairdressing Salon in Boyton Street at the time you are speaking about. You couldn't fault her flower arrangements,she didn't overcharge either. I remember she did the flowers for someone in Boyton Streets funeral for nothing when she found out they couldn't afford flowers.Life is not the same now!!

The prices at the time were what attracted me as I couldn't afford a major florist to do them. I was astounded at the quality and price.

Even the wedding photos were in black & white (couldn't afford colour!) but, the flowers looked superb. It's a shame that there are no longer characters like Doreen around anymore but, communities are no longer the same.

What a character!!She was larger than life and so was her Mother. She died a few years ago .I'm not sure about her Mother she did survive Doreen but I don't know for how long. Doreen had Cancer but she fought right until the end I used to go to the house at Crookes to do her hair. Do you remember the fruit and veg shop and the colourful language they used to exchange? Doreen had had a very colourful life,holidays in the South of France which in Heeley was unbelievable. She married a GI at the end of the war went to America but soon came back. She was part f the old Sheffield Characters which alas are no more. Rhonda

Hi there Rhonda

I'm really please you replied I would like to send you a private e-mail but i also respect your privacy would you please send me a private e-mail

Hi Duffems, Doreen had really good taste as you say she had a really good heart.As I said before such a wonderfull character I had a Hairdressing Salon in Boyton Street at the time you are speaking about. You couldn't fault her flower arrangements,she didn't overcharge either. I remember she did the flowers for someone in Boyton Streets funeral for nothing when she found out they couldn't afford flowers.Life is not the same now!!

hi there do ou know if Doreen had any surviving relatives

Would send you a private email but having a difficulty can you send me a private message.Rhonda

I remember Doreen she did the flowers for my sisters wedding, my mum used to have the grocers shop at the bottom of Tillotson Rd opposite Doreens shop.

Hi lindilu

Sorry this is not about Doreen but i do remember the shop in my courting days. I think she had photos on the back wall of kids in her area .My girlfriend at the time had hers on. I wondered if you came from tillotson if you remember my cousins that lived on there. Terence and Brian Edwards.That obviously depends how old you are.

Hi davided,

Names sound familiar but sorry at the moment I can't put a face to them, it may come to me. I think it was 74 when my mum left Tillotson Rd. I lived on Springwood Rd.

Check out Heeley Past & Present via Facebook....Great sight