The Ward Family in 1900s

Thanks for this. It completes a bit of my research!

The subject of Wards having come up I would love to know anything about Isaac and Elizabeth, especially who Isaac's parents were. I live miles from Sheffield and of course records are a bit patchy on line in the 1700s! Isaac was born in 1779 and Elizabeth, nee Brooker was born in 1783. Also, taking into account the names Isaac, Reuben and Jabez I am assuming a Jewish connection perhaps?

re Thoms W Ward and Co...

Tommy WARD certainly had close links with Sheffield but they seem to be with the other side of the city.

First, a snippet from the BBC Making History site (one of many references to Tommy ward's Elephant).

Thomas Ward was born in 1853, started work at 15, became a coal merchant and then, because the time was right for it, a scrap metal dealer in Sheffield.

You can find Thomas William in 1881 in 'Hillsbro' (then outside the town boundary in the parish of Ecclesfield [ref: Piece 4618 Folio 52]).

And this is him in 1861:

1861 census

piece 3461 folio 43 B

Woodland View

(Stannington)

Thomas Wm WARD Head Marr steel forgeman Ecclesfield

Harriott WARD Wife Marr 34 Bradfield

Herbert WARD Son 12 Ecclesfield

Thomas Wm WARD Son 7 Sheffield

Edwin WARD Son 5 Bradfield

Harriott Octavia WARD Dau 3 Bradfield

George WILDGOOSE App Unm 20 steel foregeman app Ecclesall

John CORBET App Unm 18 steel forgeman app Sheffield

So although he was born in Sheffield his family links are with Bradfield and Ecclesfield. In contrast I see that George Bridges WARD's father was from Eckington.

Hugh

Also, taking into account the names Isaac, Reuben and Jabez I am assuming a Jewish connection perhaps?

Not necessarily - it seems to have been the fashion, especially amongst non-conformists, in the 18th. century to use OT biblical names as 'Christian' names for their children.

More re T.W Ward.

Just noticed, when looking for something else, that Thos. W. Ward was Master Cutler in 1913. I imagine there will be a good biographical write up in the local press for the occasion.

Bains Yorkshire a directory for 1822 lists

Ward William, Jobsmith & Engineer, at 17 Broad Street Park.

Also some of them might be burried outside the area of the Park at Gleadless Church. There is also a John Samuel Ward and his family at Intake Cem. He was connected with the church at Intake and probaly the Park 'Wards' lot.

I can give the details on him if you need it.

Not necessarily - it seems to have been the fashion, especially amongst non-conformists, in the 18th. century to use OT biblical names as 'Christian' names for their children.

Pity I was hoping for a middle European rich dynasty! Never mind. Thank you for this. You are right about the non-conformist bit. John Ward, son of Isaac, married Eliza Saville at the Methodist New Connexions Chapel in Sheffield. Her father was George Saville who was an Earthenware Manufacturer and the family lived in New Village.