The Ward Family in 1900s

The ' Ward ' Family who lived in the Park and Manor Districts of Sheffield in the 1800s & early 1900 were numerous and had a number of differing trades to they name.

Has anyone done a study on them to clarify if they a related to each other, due to it being basically, a fairly common name.

Hi

I am a Ward by birth and I have an Isaac who was a grocer in Duke Street in the early 1800s and after his death in 1832 his wife Elizabeth took over the business. They had a son, John who was a hardware merchant and cutler who lived in Liverpool but who married a Sheffield girl, daughter of a local pottery manufacturer. Certainly John had a number of siblings but I can't find out much more about them. I would love to know who Isaac's parents were which might help me trace the siblings.

Addy

Hi

I am a Ward by birth and I have an Isaac who was a grocer in Duke Street in the early 1800s and after his death in 1832 his wife Elizabeth took over the business. They had a son, John who was a hardware merchant and cutler who lived in Liverpool but who married a Sheffield girl, daughter of a local pottery manufacturer. Certainly John had a number of siblings but I can't find out much more about them. I would love to know who Isaac's parents were which might help me trace the siblings.

Addy

Thank you for the reply. Any information that comes my way I will pass on to you. House, Courts or block Numbers as well as road names will be of assistance.

A lot of these house in the Park District were multiple dwellings,

Back to Back and someone else or others lived next floor up.

And most voted Conservative!! Men only voted at that time.

9 Duke Street Sheffield was the Grocers business of Isaac and Elizabeth continued it - she is mentioned in a local directory of the time. 66 Paradise Street Liverpool was where their son John had his Hardware/Cutler business. Look forward to keeping in touch

The Ward family I knew (no the same i'm sure) but they might read this, they were a big family, they lived on Parsons Cross at one time, two youngest sisters were Margaret and Maureen, their was also an Elizabeth that was quite ill as I remember.

The Ward family I knew (no the same i'm sure) but they might read this, they were a big family, they lived on Parsons Cross at one time, two youngest sisters were Margaret and Maureen, their was also an Elizabeth that was quite ill as I remember.

Its the ' Ward ' Families who lived in the Park and Manor District in the 1800 to early 1900s that we are seeking.

Thank you.

9 Duke Street Sheffield was the Grocers business of Isaac and Elizabeth continued it - she is mentioned in a local directory of the time. 66 Paradise Street Liverpool was where their son John had his Hardware/Cutler business. Look forward to keeping in touch

Looks like it was 19 Duke St - (from 1852 directory and Elizabeth's burial entry).

This could be the family in the 1841 census:

1841 census

ref: piece 1336/3 e.d.7 folio 42b

Duke St

WARD Elizabeth 65 grocer

WARD Reuben 20 mark maker

WARD Jabez 15 mark maker

GROVES Mary 15 FS [Female Servant]

[All born in county except for the servant]

Hugh

Hi Albert, hope your ok.

i've looked through the military stuff for the early 1900's. Out of 25 Sheffield Wards that were killed in WW1, there is a George Cyril Ward who was born Park.

And also there is an A. Ward who is commemorated on St Lukes Roll of Honour that is now in St Goerges at Brookhill. St Lukes being at the end of Granville St i think.

Apologies if its not relevant,

regards

Dean.

All the Ward(s) listed officially anywhere in the Park - Manor Area between 1800 & !920 will be very welcomed please. Especially if they carry the house number Etc, Age, Sex. First Names, Occupation, In other words as much information as possible.

Thank you HughW and Dean1.

And also there is an A. Ward who is commemorated on St Lukes Roll of Honour that is now in St Geerges at Brookhill. St Lukes being at the end of Granville St i think.

Hello Dean,

More likely to be St Luke's, Hollis Croft. That parish was divided between St George's and the Cathedral when the church closed in 1938.

Hugh

Continuing with the family in Duke Street...

The 1841 household above is definitely the right one as Reuben is at 19 Duke Street in 1861:

1861 census

ref: piece 3490 folio 81F

19 Duke St

(Sheffield Park)

Reuben WARD Head Marr 45 mark maker & grocer Sheffield

Sarah Maria WARD Wife Marr Sheffield

Sam WARD Son Unm 16 edge tool maker Sheffield

Julia Ann WARD Dau 12 scholar Sheffield

Margarett WARD Dau 2 Sheffield

Reuben had only married Sarah Maria in 1855:

GRO Marriages JUN Qtr 1855

WARD Reuben Sheffield 9c 275

WARD Sarah Maria Sheffield 9c 275

(maybe Sarah Maria was a widowed relative?)

I think this is Reuben's first marriage:

GRO Marriages DEC Qtr 1841

WARD Reuben Sheffield 22 456

SORBY Elizabeth Sheffield 22 456

...which has a corresponding entry in the Sheffield marriage index:

Marriage at Sheffield Parish Church (now the Cathedral)

vol 9 page 14 entry 27 (volume covers Oct 1841 to May 1842)

Reuben WARD

Elizabeth SORBY

Hugh

HughW Thank you

I'm also very interested if the founder of Messrs. Thos. W. Ward and Co. Had any actually associated with Sheffield in anyway and if it was a ' Ward ' that actually started the business if they related to G.B.Ward (born 1842 at Dobbs Row, Wellgate, Rotherham. moving to the Park District, Sheffield about 184? - 65. He was a Sunday School teacher at St John's, Park. He died about 1900.