Sanctuary housing modernisations in Shiregreen.

We had ours done over 2 years ago now, well inside anyway.

It still isnt done to a satisfactory standard. No. 1, move out! We stayed as my wife was pregnant and couldnt really do the move. They then told us we would have to live upstairs for a while, well with 2 kids already that was impossible so we went away for 3 days. Covered as they asked and left a single key with the office. We returned to find a full desktop computer had been taken yet they left a pack of cigs, car stereo, xbox etc. Everybody claimed it was there when they worked on it and nobody took responsibility. The police after a week filed it and nothing else could be done.

After refusing to let ANYBODY in our house to do anything, we agreed to move out and it wasnt too bad. Just living out of boxes for a while with lots of things in storage but lot less hassle!

We have been asked several times to sign off our house but refused and are still awaiting work to be done.

The problem was with phase 1/2 everybody was new on the job and learning the trade. Sanctuary have now learnt a lesson and houses they are doing now are great. They do a really good finish on them and they gut everything. At first, they kept as much as they can. only thing is we have a toilet in our kitchen, less storage, a carpet that now doesnt fit and lots of little bits that need doing, now being reported as repairs!

They seem unsure about the outside of the house, been with plans for drive then no drive, then we're asked what drive would be like!?

Temporary fence on back, think thats been up a year now. If only we were having it done now...it would be so much better!

People are coming round to fix the 'repairs' and they are asking us why it wasnt done in the first place...so its taken time but they seem to be getting there. Just taking a long time to fix the first ones

Its been mismanaged from the start. People are still arguing after 2 years.

It all could have been done so much better. Sanctuary should have project managed

the modernisation from the start.

Even now they are trying to bypass people.

I requested a call from the modernisation team nearly 3 weeks ago so yesterday i chased them up. Called sanctuary, they only asked my name and then said yes its with them but they are a bit busy at the minute. So after saying I only wanted a phone call and being told just to wait I decided to request a visit instead. They THEN took address down and I will call next week.

Thought afterwards, well hold on, how do they know who I am without my address? How can they tell me its waiting to be done? Well if they can then they must have my details up...hold now they want my address to escalate it!

Its like phoning the taxi and them answering with...'its just around the corner!'

Even now they are trying to bypass people.

I requested a call from the modernisation team nearly 3 weeks ago so yesterday i chased them up. Called sanctuary, they only asked my name and then said yes its with them but they are a bit busy at the minute. So after saying I only wanted a phone call and being told just to wait I decided to request a visit instead. They THEN took address down and I will call next week.

Thought afterwards, well hold on, how do they know who I am without my address? How can they tell me its waiting to be done? Well if they can then they must have my details up...hold now they want my address to escalate it!

Its like phoning the taxi and them answering with...'its just around the corner!'

Don't bother ringing they won't come, well unless you are really assertive :suspect: call down, do it in person they can't ignore you that way, the base is at the bottom of Concord park they all go there first thing and then again before they knock off.

Yes you can move out, if you have pets or small children I would move out personally, I stayed in and it is major upheaval!

Well we had the surveyor yesterday and we made the decision to stay in while the work is done, every room is going to be took back to the brick, i must be mad :loopy: but i feel better knowing that i can oversee whats happening and ive got a very good neighbour and family if the going gets tough :)

Well we had the surveyor yesterday and we made the decision to stay in while the work is done, every room is going to be took back to the brick, i must be mad :loopy: but i feel better knowing that i can oversee whats happening and ive got a very good neighbour and family if the going gets tough :)

Eek :hihi:

Well all of my house was done too, every room and I have to say that it is really hard.

My advice to you is, get anything that you value off to storage, even your suite if possible, sit on deckchairs because things do get ruined (I know to my cost) the dirt creeps underneath the dust sheets and it won't always wash off, things get damaged and broken...lots of things :rolleyes:.

Have as little as possible in the house, that is of major importance, get in loads of cleaning stuff, I used the value cleaner from Morrisons 26p and it was fine for what your going to need, an old mop and good brushes.

You will need access to a toilet for a few weeks as even if you have one there will be no doors or ceilings, and in the day you will have no privacy to use it.

Rally your friends for help and make sure that you have a bolt hole, somewhere that you can go every now and then to escape it all because its not going to be home for quite a while, make use of the room and facilities provided in Concord park, go out as much as you can.

It sounds grim I know but better to be prepared before hand, I wasn't, my neighbours had theirs done so I saw it all... but I had a hell of a lot more done to my house than they did and I was simply not prepared.

You will get through it though and the end result is lovely, it makes you appreciate your home so much more, plus its kind of interesting to see it taking shape.

Good luck and if you need any help, advice, or just a moan give me a shout :)

Eek :hihi:

Well all of my house was done too, every room and I have to say that it is really hard.

My advice to you is, get anything that you value off to storage, even your suite if possible, sit on deckchairs because things do get ruined (I know to my cost) the dirt creeps underneath the dust sheets and it won't always wash off, things get damaged and broken...lots of things :rolleyes:.

Have as little as possible in the house, that is of major importance, get in loads of cleaning stuff, I used the value cleaner from Morrisons 26p and it was fine for what your going to need, an old mop and good brushes.

You will need access to a toilet for a few weeks as even if you have one there will be no doors or ceilings, and in the day you will have no privacy to use it.

Rally your friends for help and make sure that you have a bolt hole, somewhere that you can go every now and then to escape it all because its not going to be home for quite a while, make use of the room and facilities provided in Concord park, go out as much as you can.

It sounds grim I know but better to be prepared before hand, I wasn't, my neighbours had theirs done so I saw it all... but I had a hell of a lot more done to my house than they did and I was simply not prepared.

You will get through it though and the end result is lovely, it makes you appreciate your home so much more, plus its kind of interesting to see it taking shape.

Good luck and if you need any help, advice, or just a moan give me a shout :)

This is probably a stupid question but do i have to remove my washing machine, cooker etc? I am going to get as much into storage as they allow me to, anything valuable will definately removed including my beloved pc!

Its is looking like it will be done 2010 but im going to be getting the boxes ready and a having a 'declutter' very soon, i want to be as prepared as I possibly can!

I am already causing problems for them as i have a range cooker and it doesnt fit in with their plans lol

Thankyou, I think I may be shouting, moaning and asking advice often.

Edited by saz1972

This is probably a stupid question but do i have to remove my washing machine, cooker etc? I am going to get as much into storage as they allow me to, anything valuable will definately removed including my beloved pc!

Its is looking like it will be done 2010 but im going to be getting the boxes ready and a having a 'declutter' very soon, i want to be as prepared as I possibly can!

I am already causing problems for them as i have a range cooker and it doesnt fit in with their plans lol

Thankyou, I think I may be shouting, moaning and asking advice often.

Their plans are inflexible :hihi:but if you stick to your guns they will sort it, they actually do try to do things as you want them, and are reasonable but you have to stick to your guns if you say nothing they will just ride rough shod over you.

You do not have to remove cooker or washing machine, but to be honest they will both be disconnected at the start of the work, if it was me I would ask them to disconnect early and let them take them in the storage, although it might mean you being without them for a few extra weeks, they really do get in the way and also get damaged, all of my stuff got damaged :(

Get rid of as much as you possibly can, it makes the whole thing a lot less hassle.

I realise it may be different, as this is about sanctuary, and my home is council owned, but hopefully someone can answer.

If you opt to move out - what are the choices? I was told our home would be modernised at the end of the year, haven't heard anything else as yet :rolleyes:

I don't want to move out, but with three children I can't see how we can remain there.

We're supposed to be having my sons bathroom extension done at the same time, as well as the ramp to the doorway (which we've been told we HAVE to move out for as there will be no access whatsoever).

The thing is, as he's disabled we can't exactly move into a flat somewhere (unless its ground floor with no steps). Also, we can't really leave the area as he relies on a school bus?

Oh the stress - and it hasn't started yet!

I realise it may be different, as this is about sanctuary, and my home is council owned, but hopefully someone can answer.

If you opt to move out - what are the choices? I was told our home would be modernised at the end of the year, haven't heard anything else as yet :rolleyes:

I don't want to move out, but with three children I can't see how we can remain there.

We're supposed to be having my sons bathroom extension done at the same time, as well as the ramp to the doorway (which we've been told we HAVE to move out for as there will be no access whatsoever).

The thing is, as he's disabled we can't exactly move into a flat somewhere (unless its ground floor with no steps). Also, we can't really leave the area as he relies on a school bus?

Oh the stress - and it hasn't started yet!

There will probably be some tenants on your estate who have got involved in the Decent Homes project, perhaps from the TARA. Try and have a chat with them and see who's in the know. They can then advise you who to speak to from Sheffield Homes. Once they know you have a disabled child you should be able to discuss some options. The same sort of rule should apply to Sanctuary tenants who have specific needs due to disability etc.

My house has already been done, but the outside theyve left half finished. I've got someone coming round to have a look at it and to follow up my complaint. Anybody got anything I can say, apart from.. Why did the guy who dug up my front garden rip out the privit that connects the shared path?? Why did he also rip down the fence at the rear of my garden that leads onto a private house?? Why did he remove goods off my garden and put them into the cab of his van without informing me?? (The goods were my plant pots and he said they'd be in the way and will be returned...!!)

The guys who resurfaced the tarmac area on the back garden also tipped their left over crap down my grate, its blocked up. They've chucked down industrial sand around the driveway, which is infested with little bugs! And no, the privit taken down hasnt been replaced with anything, and the rear fence hasnt.

And theyre saying thats the finished job.

Im fuming with them at the minute and can't wait for this surveyor to come round.

I just want it all done, so then I can get an exchange (!!)

I was impressed with the inside of the house when I moved in, wasnt to excited about the outside but then they did the drive and left it a right shambles!

any idea when they are doing sicey av just of nethershire lane