Damaged car due to refuse lorry

I returned home from work yesterday to find my car parked at an odd angle and a neighbour told me it had been moved by the bin men. has anybody else ever encountered anything like this?

Well

If they had to move it to get through you'll not be able to do anything about it.

that's what i thought initially but it was left at such an angle that the lorry would have struggled to get through.

The bin collection company and/or the council must have insurance for this sort of thing?

If you can prove it was the bin lorry (ie. if your witness would make a statement) I would imagine it would be worth contacting the council/refuse company to claim on their insurance for repairs to your car.

Bin men think the own the roads! Many a time have i had to wait behind the lorry - parked up in the middle of the road when there is space for it to pull over- then it trundles along for a few metres before stopping - in the middle of the road again. I think they get off on annoying people.

I returned home from work yesterday to find my car parked at an odd angle and a neighbour told me it had been moved by the bin men. has anybody else ever encountered anything like this?

Worth pointing out that if they have caused any damage, then they've committed a criminal offence by not leaving contact details.

Hi, I had an experience once when a council gritter drove down my road and knocked my wing mirror off. I reported it to the council and they obtained a witness statement from my neighbour and they paid for the damage. Def worth reporting it - especially cos you have a witness as well

Bin men think the own the roads! Many a time have i had to wait behind the lorry - parked up in the middle of the road when there is space for it to pull over- then it trundles along for a few metres before stopping - in the middle of the road again. I think they get off on annoying people.

What do you suggest they do?:suspect:

Maybe they could find the nearest NCP and walk back for our bins:loopy:

Jeez you guys have nosey neighbours...

...mine never see owt.

:shocked:

i know someone who works on the bins and he said if you dont report it they dont do anything and they keep it quiet,but if you do they will sort it no problem

Moved by the bin *men* or the *truck*? Did the men bounce it out of the way so the truck could get through? You haven't actually mentioned any damage to your car.

Bin men have a procedure for accidents which occur. They have to leave a card on the windscreen of a damaged vehicle (or other thing) and the card will have a contact number on, and with driver and vehicle details for which you can ring Veiola to sort out insurance claims and repairs. You'd also be suprised of how many things they hit, without the driver or loaders hearing anything - have you seen the sheer size of those wagons?!

Yes, they do have some trouble getting down narrow roads - and sometimes, they have to leave some bins which they cannot get to, possibly due to some ignor-arse leaving their vehicle fully on the road on a tight bend, instead of half on the path and half on the road - aswell as bending in the wing mirrors from getting them ripped off.

My eldest brother used to drive the bin wagons, and some of the stuff they have to dispose of :gag: I've been stuck behind bin wagons before due to them "Hogging" the road - but they've a job to do, and a schedual to keep. If they don't get back to the "yard" for a certain time, the gates are on an automatic timers, and get locked! So they can't dilly dally around, parking up every few yards or so. Just have bit of patience guys - as soon as it's safe to do so, just overtake them. :)