60s Mods on scooters

hi , any body out there rember being part of the sheffield mod scene in the 60 s we used to meet every night on our scooters at the queens road ice rink, then travel en mass for a coffee at the leprechaun coffee bar ( broomhill ) sometimes on to rickshaw chinese on devonshire st for a trendy russian tea.

heady stuff .

I used to hang out at the bowling alley cafe, I couldn't afford a scooter, played the juke box, Spencer Davis, Small Faces, The Who and Tamla Motown. Met a lot of girls down there, what a time to be ateenager

---------- Post added 09-02-2018 at 20:22 ----------

hi , any body out there rember being part of the sheffield mod scene in the 60 s we used to meet every night on our scooters at the queens road ice rink, then travel en mass for a coffee at the leprechaun coffee bar ( broomhill ) sometimes on to rickshaw chinese on devonshire st for a trendy russian tea.

heady stuff .

I used to hang out at the bowling alley cafe, I couldn't afford a scooter, played the juke box, Spencer Davis, Small Faces, The Who and Tamla Motown. Met a lot of girls down there, what a time to be a teenager. I now live in Chesterfield, my brother in law has a scooter, a load of scooter riders meet at my local WMC Whittington Moor Thursday nights.

On 09/02/2018 at 09:59, tinfoilhat said:

Run by his lads now.

http://armandosscooters.com

Armando's old shop was no 44 Hill St, Corner of Hill St & John St. It was demolished many years ago. I'm old enough to

remember the old shop and remember it having motorcycles in there as well.

Armando moved further down to the new shop further down Hill St and the corner of Randall St. All the old terrace houses below

where Amando's stands now were pulled down well before the top half of Randall St was. I'm sure there was a courner

shop on that site before the new building was built.  Amando could always be seen on his old LD Lambtetta and was always

the perfect gent. Despite my Rockers Rule tag I did have a couple of Lambi's inbetween proper bikes (lol).

Anything was better than walking to work and Lambi's were cheep to buy, paid £35 for a SX200 (Empire garage)and a bit more £50 for a LI 150 (lad at work)The LI was the better of the two.  I did have to hide from my mates for a while.

Thanks to the Sx I learned  to weld, the brackets for the leg shields/ floor boards rusted through and had to be replaced.  Exhaust box brackets were always breaking off so I learned to braze as well. Re bores, new piston were £30 fitted and running at Amando's back then.

I havn't seen Amando's son's for quite some time and they never seem to age.

I can't remember Mod's at the Silver blades but as a biker it wasn't somewhere I would have frquented anyway.

When the whole Teddy boy revival thing came about in Sheffield that was it I was off having suit's made (Conway tailors West St) buying Brothel Creepers at Dempseys on hyde park.  Big old British cars were just what we wanted and could be bought for next to nought

Paid £40 for my first Mk 111 Zephyr. Happy Daze.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Rocker opening old post's & why not

Hi rockers rule, how I wish I could get a SX200 for £50, today. To get one today that needs restoring, you're looking more than £8000,

oh how I wish I still had my SX200 .