60s Mods on scooters

Think they look a bit Germanic, the Germans make good things but they always lack the stile of the Italians,

It blooming kept up with mates bikes ill give it that lol.

I was a mod in the sixties and rode a lambretta TV 175 series 2, I went to the Mojo, La Favourite, Queens road Bowling alley, made some great friends especially at the bowling alley parked outside along with numerous other Lambrettas and Vespas, apart from Plonk who had a Capri scooter. This all happened between 1966 - 1971 for me. The La Fav was a great place to meet and was the best place for weekend party invites. The Mojo was the in-place to see up and coming acts and for dancing with its all dayers and all nighters, great until the pushes raised their ugly heads. The queens Road bowling alley was the daily meet for all the scooterist and would move between various coffee bars and youth clubs, at weekends we would go on a run out somewhere on block, (nothing like seeing 50 scooters plus with all their bling on a trip out) bank holiday was usually a trip to the coast. Here are a few names, Steve Deeks, Clive Johnstone, Phil and Ian Blencowe, Stuart Johnson, Dave Siddall, Dave Newsome, Steve Shaw, Willie, Pete, Jeff, Barry Freman, Albert, Roger, Rogert, Denis (Fishcake), Christine, Dennise, Glynis, Bronwyn, Carol Proctor, Diane, Little Jean, Phil Brightmore, Barry Munden, Roy Eales. Malcolm Sales, Janine, Stewart, Helen Hodges, Mary, Dave Bratton, Pogg, Arny, Ted Robinson, Julie Devy, Cheryl Nottingham, Harry, Les (Royal Enfield), Neil and Sue, Steve Whitaker, loads more but can't remember their names and me Dave Robertson.

Hi,replying to your post,my scooter was the same TV 175 with copper plated side panels + mirrors and lights.My friends were all from Stradbroke. We would meet on the estate and drive to the bowling alley.The year was 1964/5. There wold have been 12 scooters in our group.Queens road and the Mojo were our favourite haunts

Hi Bazmcc

I new a Barry Mc Cabe, would that be you?

---------- Post added 03-11-2015 at 15:38 ----------

Hi Baz

Looking at your profile, it is you that I know, I was an apprentice at the Admiralty between 1965-1970 with George Battersby, Dave Bussey, John Langham etc. I remember that Dick Haigh, JB had Vespa Sportiques and You had loverly TV 175 and one of the main reasons why I looked for one when I was old enough for a bike, two of my friends bought JB and Dicks scooters, what happened to yours?

Hi,Dave,I worked at the Admiralty from 1962 to 1968 and left to work at Sheffield Poly.I sold my Lambretta and bought a Blue mini. In our year was JB,John Tingle,Mick Mullins Glen Brown Kieth Godwin good times

Hi Barry

Nice to hear from you, yes you are right, they were great days. I have just retired after a spending the last 20 years as a QA Manger at a small engineering company on Hawke Street just 200 yards down the road from Janson Street. Don't you wish you had your TV now (the prices they fetch), I'm seriously thinking of buying another lambretta to renovate, I built a SX 200 in 2000 and then sold it, i wish i hadn't. i'll let you know if I decide too, it all depends on her indoors.

Regards Dave

hi , any body out there rember being part of the sheffield mod scene in the 60 s we used to meet every night on our scooters at the queens road ice rink, then travel en mass for a coffee at the leprechaun coffee bar ( broomhill ) sometimes on to rickshaw chinese on devonshire st for a trendy russian tea.

heady stuff .

i used to go go in bowling alley 69 to 71 and all scooter lads used to come in cafe were we,d all sit x chat then go on scooters on motorway to forty house ?. brilliant days then

Does anybody remember the italian scooter dealer just of london road he would get up a five o,clock in ths morning if you wanted your scooter fixing now thats what i call service

It was on hill st his name was armando i bought my lambretta from him it had a shop glass front and was about 2 steps up the front room was full of scooters and had to put a plank down to get a scooter out of the shop,

There is a link on here about Queens road bowling alley and some of the people that worked there and also about the lads meeting up on their scooters. Alan.

It was on hill st his name was armando i bought my lambretta from him it had a shop glass front and was about 2 steps up the front room was full of scooters and had to put a plank down to get a scooter out of the shop,

Run by his lads now.

http://armandosscooters.com

There are lots of interesting posts on here!

My Dad took me to Armandos in 1960 and I bought a s/hand NSU Quickly moped as my first bike. At 16 I was too light and skinny to handle anything much bigger. (I do remember that it was a very small shop as described on the previous post by tinfoilhat). However, the following weekend a car hit me when I was leaving the roundabout at Firth Park and, to cut a long story short, the bike was written off. When I'd recovered from my injuries I bought a s/hand Alpino scooter from Bill Beevers at Page Hall.

In 1961 I took a Saturday job at John Banners department store at Attercliffe to fund the HP payments on a brand new Lambretta TV 175, (which I kept for three years before buying my first car). I had looked in Dan Bradbury's window many times but in the end as they wouldn't make an offer on my Alpino I bought from Walter Wraggs on West Bar. Got my new helmet, jacket and gloves from Ropers on London Road just below Dan's.

Here's Dan's in 1963....

http://picturesheffield.com/frontend.php?action=zoomWindow&keywords=Ref_No_increment;EQUALS;s17666&prevUrl=

Here I am in 1962, probably showing the first signs of mods, with chrome tape bling and a custom made twin tail pipe which was also chrome tape blinged :hihi:, which cost me 5 Woodbines to one of the fitters at work :). My Dad's old ambulance box, which I handpainted, is on the carrier, behind which the Lambretta penant on chrome pole can just be seen. Mud flap out of shot. A small mirror on the handlebars provided less than useless rear view. A plastic covered cushion provided back support for my girlfriend, albeit after she had already bruised the base of her spine on the carrier :(

I loved that scooter....Those were the days!.....

http:// https://photos.google.com/share/AF1QipOxyolg_NfQIz21FeL2PGQSCeVl5ft0CWRaULNuO8Bzn2h8kRZPdWmQVj3TkZPqVQ?key=MkdJZGNfM2VWYWFaa1Q1QkN6OWxiOHphTWFlNldn

Peter.

Edited by PeterR