60s Mods on scooters

Both my elder brothers were mods & had Lambrettas with mirrors all over the front & my eldest brother had a leather union jack seat which cost him £5.I was only 9 yrs old but I remember them both being on our front on Foster Road Heeley.

the Vespa was the only scooter to have

bought my first scooter from Ropers--circa 1961--red Vespa which was brand new and had just been reduced due to the weak Italian currancy( no change there then)--it came down from 125 guineas to 95 guineas---Ropers took me up Ringinglow road one Saturday to show me how to go on and that was it---used to go to Frechville rock club---there were only 2 people with scooters me and a lad called Alan who had a lambretta-(he later worked at Inmans electrical wholesales)---the only person with 4 wheels was a lad called Bingo-(he had a ford van)---class

Does anybody remember the italian scooter dealer just of london road he would get up a five o,clock in ths morning if you wanted your scooter fixing now thats what i call service

His name was Armando's scooters.We used him and his cousin another mechanic Tony. This was in the early sixties.He was fantastic at repairs. I had a Lambretta TV175 withall the lights and mirrors. We would meet at the Bowling Alley at Frechville and drive to the bowling alley on Queens Road 30 to 40 strong,I still have my original parka and have now a 1978 lambretta Li 150

I was a mod from 69 ~ 74 and frequented the Silver Blades and the Bowling Alley. I wouldn't say the Mod scene had gone by 68 as we were parking with 20 ~ 50 scooters outside long after that. As for the girls / Lambretta's / Mini's , I had a Lambretta and the use of my Dads Mini but I got more girls on the scooter than with the Mini ! ... I think your'e right about them not wanting to get their clothes ruined , thats why they preferred Scooters to motorbikes. The bikers always looks scruffy anyway. I never got dirty on my scooter ( just a bit wet ) . I still have my Lambretta now and im'e 56 and I still have the girl too and I love em both !

Hi We drove from the Bowling Alley at Frechville in 1963 to Queens Road.The Shefield Mod.s would meet and the drive to the MOJO 60 to 70 strong,Fantastic,and yes we got the Best looking girls. We blow dried and back combed our hair and then used Cosack hair spray to keep in place as at this time we didn't wear helmets

How times change, prior to my 16th birthday, most of the teenage lads, in my area, had motor bikes. I spent hours with them repairing, maintaining and cleaning them, Matchless, Volocette,Triumph, all the old British bikes, some times they would let me start them up,and, if I was lucky they'd take me on the pillion, I loved those old bikes.

For my 16th birthday I bought a 1960 Lambretta series 2 TV175, although I loved bikes, the look of a scooter with all the mirrors and lights was something else. Of course, I took a lot of stick, but still loved my TV175. That was replaced with a 1967 SX200, which I eventually sold for £200 to buy a MK1 Cortina. That was a lot of years ago.

I have just recently restored a 1981 Indian GP150, when I am riding it,in my mind only, I'm back in my youth again, but the difference is, people with bikes are interested in my scooter, I was even encouraged to show it at a custom bike show, but couldn't because it wasn't road legal then, but might do next year. Just imagine that happening back in the 60's or 70's.

Id love to know were my Diana scooter 250 ended up late 70s swaped it for a Enfield

Was only 6 in country at that time and was in british racing green and chrome.

Id love to know were my Diana scooter 250 ended up late 70s swaped it for a Enfield

Was only 6 in country at that time and was in british racing green and chrome.

Hi mate what are you doing talking about scooters you were a greaser like me remember:D

Hi mate what are you doing talking about scooters you were a greaser like me remember:D
PMSL Tom yes but it had 250 villiers bike engine in it thats my excuse anyway.

Had lamby Vespa Tripumph Tina only ever had Lambreta and Diana on road two slow you know me back then buy it sell it.Or swap it lol

Edited by terminator

PMSL Tom yes but it had 250 villiers bike engine in it thats my excuse anyway.

Had lamby Vespa Tripumph Tina only ever had Lambreta and Diana on road two slow you know me back then buy it sell it.

Was that Diana made by Durcott not sure about that make, were they British made or German

Was that Diana made by Durcott not sure about that make, were they British made or German
Ones i know of now are Durcopp it was german but cant remember that name ever cropping up back then It had villiers 2t engine in it origenaly but i put Turbo Twin 4T in instead should still have a pic although not very good one. Edited by terminator

As a greaser in them days we were more into our bikes than any thing else we loved Rock and Roll Elvis and groups like the rolling stones,it was well into the 70s and we were still the same,but the mods morphed into being skinheads and different things in fact my stile of dress has changed very little since then, I mite have put a few ponds on since then but I still have the same tastes in music now,a lot of the scooter boys could not say that now,once a biker always a biker, its part of your life,the mods were more of a passing fad at the time and they were out of it before they got into there twenty's or so.ours was a way of life that most of us still lead to this day .