Ringo's Liverpool 8...

The thing which I love about all Scousers who've done well is that they go on about how they love their city and the people, yet wouldn't live there - they're happier in their huge mansions down south. Cilla Black is the worst example of this.

LOL - unlike Jarvis Cocker, Joe Elliott, Sean Bean etc. :)

Yes, and being Irish I can hardly criticise the scouse stars either.

LOL - unlike Jarvis Cocker, Joe Elliott, Sean Bean etc. :)

I've never really heard them go on about their home town and how great it is though. The only one who I recall has any pride for their city and talks about it is Richard Hawley.

You've never heard Jarvis go on about Sheffield???

I've never cared for "POP" music, but I must say I could understand every word Ringo said (sang) on his Liverpool 8, well it was mostly speaking not singing now I think about it.

I've never really heard them go on about their home town and how great it is though. The only one who I recall has any pride for their city and talks about it is Richard Hawley.

Paul's latest studio album, Memory Almost Full includes a track called That Was Me which is a journey down memory lane and mentions the Royal Iris boat on the Mersey and the Cavern and so on. But you're right; the Beatles rarely reflected upon their home town in their records (although of course we did get Strawberry Fields Forever/Penny Lane in 1967).

I guess the truth is that they probably didn't feel a great deal of nostalgia about the place. You must remember that they were still teenagers when they were treading the boards in Hamburg and all of them had had a fairly miserable time back in Liverpool. Both John and Paul lost their mothers there. John's father left him there. Ringo was constantly poorly and only George seemed to have had what you might call an ordinary upbringing. Maybe they were glad to get out. London seemed another world away, they were skint and times were hard.

Once they'd had a whiff of the big time there was no going back and no wonder. Ringo called them four **** kickers out of Liverpool. Paul finally made a recognition of the place when he opened the Liverpool Institute of Performing Arts in the early 1990s. The nearest any of them came to a nostalgic thank you was when Paul played in front of 60,000 in St George's Dock in the summer of 1990 and he performed a Lennon tribute. THAT was emotional (I was there).

But Liverpool didn't do the Beatles many favours and they were clearly embarrassed when they had to mix with the men in suits on the town hall balcony when they finally got to tour there again in 1964.

Ringo getting all sentimental seems somewhat pointless. The guy doesn't have an english accent anymore!!

I understand Jonathon Ross asked him if there was anything he missed about Liverpool, and he said " No".:suspect:

If you want to see how well Ringo can sing,have a look here -

Real Chart update....................uk singles chart..........CLASSIFIED ENTRY...... as of 27 Jan 2008....

Ringo Starr 'Liverpool 8' has fallen from 27 to 54.... Enter date 13 Jan... Highest position No 7.... Total sales 110,000 so far and counting....

Classified don't tell Ringo or anyone else.....

Dater terminated.....

I can't stand the look of him, his dyed unshaved face goes right down his neck, and that 60s peace sign he keeps doing, looks like a real dirty bugger to me.