Getting hold of manure megathread!

On 31/07/2019 at 19:45, psyko said:

Hi

Do you think that the big DIY shops use horse manure in their compost as I have had issues with my Tomatoe plants and do look like the picture in the link 

Ta

It is appearing in some commercial composts. A problem is that people who lose garden crops to it often have not heard of aminopyralid and so attribute the loss to pests or weather.

Here is a petition calling to ban aminopyralid.

https://www.change.org/p/dow-chemical-ban-dow-chemical-aminopyralid-herbicides-in-uk

On 01/01/2020 at 14:46, cocopops99 said:

if you pm me i can give you details of who we use umiumi

That’s great thanks cocopops99

will pm you details now

Edited by cocopops99
meant to send pm not post on page

I have just taken on an allotment within 10 miles of Sheffield and about a week or so into the weed taproot removal stage a domestic rental landlord came onto the site and asked me if I wanted any soil.

It turned out to be peat based with perlite and root balls that dissolved at the first sniff of frost. The local clay soil swallowed four estate car loads of it almost without trace and became a bit easier to work.

His tenants had turned out to be naughty farmers. The police had arrived and assisted them with there harvest braking the foront door in the process.

The guy said that he will never rent a house out again without getting the tenant verified by an agent.

Keep an eye on rental landlords websites if you want free peat based compost.

We have an update on manure at our site.

There has recently been some changes in the committee and an old dispute with the local horse riding school has been resolved.

There is quite a big backlog to be dug in and it is mostly well rotted over several years.

We have 20+ trailer loads for 96 plots.

Some of it can be cut in slices and laid on the soil.

I am going to make a loam heap like structure using the manure to exclude the air and light to rot down all the weed roots if they do not dry off enough for burning. We have got enough and the result will go back into the ground.

I am looking for horse manure as I try to establish a garden on really heavy,  solid clay.  Will need quite a lot so delivery to Meadowhead would be really helpful.  Anyone doing delivery in current times?

Many thanks!

Same! Trying to improve my allotment and could do with some manure... anyone got any suggestions?

J

On 16/03/2020 at 01:53, Refugee said:

We have an update on manure at our site.

There has recently been some changes in the committee and an old dispute with the local horse riding school has been resolved.

There is quite a big backlog to be dug in and it is mostly well rotted over several years.

We have 20+ trailer loads for 96 plots.

Some of it can be cut in slices and laid on the soil.

I am going to make a loam heap like structure using the manure to exclude the air and light to rot down all the weed roots if they do not dry off enough for burning. We have got enough and the result will go back into the ground.

Sounds good news  You are very lucky to have a committee like that

I am wanting to get some pig manure locally. It's good for mixing in when composting waste.

Can anyone advise where I could source some please?

That loam heap I built back in March got the contents of the shed latrine dumped in and then a thin layer of top soil.

I planted marrows and turban pumpkins on it and the bottom heat kept that nasty late frost off.

I am now getting foot long marrows and strings of turban pumpkins.

Anyone know where horse manure is available, only a few bags needed, ideally S6/ north Sheff area.

We have alpaca manure if anyone wants any. As far as I'm aware it can be used fresh. I've used it more or less fresh before anyway and it was fine.

Did have a massive four tonne pile that was rotted down to great compost but gave it a farmer to spread on his field as it was getting too large. It's building up again now though