Sign in to follow this  

Speeding Yet Again - They're Having A Laugh!

Well I've learned a lot from this.

1) Everybody on here with the exception of me and some unlucky old man is a brilliant law abiding driver who never even unintentionally transgress even the smallest law.

2) Everything in life is black and white. Nothing should ever be questioned.

3) Even if a law is unjust and unfair people will still let it go unquestioned.

4) Some poor old sod gets mugged for £60 and because the government did it then it is considered his own fault.

Thanks for the education.

Originally posted by foo_fighter

FYI that's not true, the young driver would need to re-sit thier test. Any offence in the first year leads to re-test, passing is now only "provisional" for the first 12 months.

Wrong - its 2 years.

But only if they accumulate 6 points within that time.

The police are punishing people who break this law

Well, the easy targets anyway. Not the Joyriders or the people with scrap or unregistered cars etc etc etc...

Originally posted by MobileB

For all those people who condemn speeding motorists (and I have never once condoned speeding in build up areas in my several posts about this subject) and now put forward my father as the latest criminal.

He is 71 years old (72 next month), has been driving with a perfectly clean license of well over 50 years. He has spent the last four days in hopsital for a great New Year. On opening up his post, he has received a speeding notice. Apparently at 6.30 am on December 27th, he got caught doing 34 mph in 30 mph zone.

So out of his pension, he must pay a £60 fine and has now been branded a criminal with 3 points on his licence.

I will not condone speeding, but how on earth can anyone support justice in that situation? Please someone tell me!

SO your dad can't see speed cameras and you cant see small print on the Argos site. May I suggest a joint trip to Specsavers :heyhey:

Yet another post about speeding.

Hasn't this subject been done to death yet?

Originally posted by Whelk

Well I've learned a lot from this.

1) Everybody on here with the exception of me and some unlucky old man is a brilliant law abiding driver who never even unintentionally transgress even the smallest law.

2) Everything in life is black and white. Nothing should ever be questioned.

3) Even if a law is unjust and unfair people will still let it go unquestioned.

4) Some poor old sod gets mugged for £60 and because the government did it then it is considered his own fault.

Thanks for the education.

I never said I was a brilliant driver ( I am though ;) ), what I actually said was that I do speed, but I am fully aware of the risk Im taking that I will be caught. If I get caught, I will have to pay the fine, and its no ones fault but my own because I know the law, and know that there is little point arguing it.

Plenty of laws are unfair. The 70mph speed limit is ridiculously outdated. If I speed, get caught, then whinge, its not going to change it.

At the end of the day, the person with his foot on the accelerator is the one in control of the car, and the one who is at fault if caught speeding. Tony Blair isnt making anyone speed.

Originally posted by Whelk

yea, yea, yea, you are the bestest driver in the world.

Even the President of the Advanced Institute of Motorists lost his licence in camera traps.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,2-1414609,00.html

I am not tarring anyone with my failings but I am being honest, try being honest with yourself because I do not believe that you have NEVER broken a traffic law ever, it simply isn't possible. Yes I could do 100 miles on a motorway but 100 miles of urban driving? Let me put you in East London with the mission to drive to West London right through the centre and see if you break any laws. You know and I know that it is not possible so before disputing what I say try to be really honest with yourself as we all know that even with excellent training driving instructors are just fallable humans.

I never said that I haven't broken a traffic regulation - I said that it could be done.

And yes I know that driving instructors are just as fallible as anyone else - we all learn as we go along. However if I do do something wrong, then at least I know that its wrong and if I get caught, then I hold my hands up and admit it.

Originally posted by MobileB

I challenge anyone - go on Saxon take up the challenge with one of your pupils - to go to London in rush hour. Come off the A4 at Hammersmith roundabout and take the last exit to go to the Novotel at 5pm at night. And tell me you can do that without breaking at least six rules of the Highway Code and one Law.

Hmm.........people seem to like misquoting when it suits them.

I didn't say I could make a pupil do it (ie an inexperienced driver who hasn't yet reached the standard to pass the driving test and whose reactions are slower and whose observational skills are not fully developed). What I said was that I (and for that matter, any other experienced driver) SHOULD be able to drive 100 miles without breaking any traffic regs.

how on earth can anyone support justice in that situation? Please someone tell me!

he got caught doing 34 mph in 30 mph zone

?????????????

I'm confuzzled? your law abiding dad was doing 34mph in a 30mph zone? That doesn't make sense?!

Coincidently, every so often, those 4mph are the difference between someone getting away with bad injuries and someone dying.

Originally posted by Clumber

Wrong - its 2 years.

That is correct.

Any driver with less than 2 years on a full licence is automatically disqualified if they accumulate 6 points until all the theory, hazard perception and driving tests are passed, ie, they revert to learner status

Mobile - B

For what it's worth I think your Dad has been treated harshly and sympathise with him completely. Sadly this is just one more tax he will have to pay.

Originally posted by neeeeeeeeeek

Yes you have the speeding is speeding argument (which does annoy me) which can go on for ever, but in my opinion, the only people it generally catches are the people who are not high risk drivers or the ones that cause the majority of accidents. What about all the uninsured drivers who's cars are not even registered to them? How many Camera speeding fines go unpaid or are untraceable or get rejected as the car no longer officially exists etc?? What about the persistent offenders with massive records that have no intention of paying the fines, the banned drivers, the scallies, the drunk people.

Cameras catch people speeding regardless of the danger they pose. Is driving at 66 down a country lane at night really any more dangerous than driving at 60? (wait's for someone to say it's the law so it must be) The flip side with old people on the roads is that the cameras don't catch them driving at 15mph with no awareness of other traffic or people or anything!! Some of them may have been driving for 50 years but should have stopped 20 years ago! I was on the M1 Christmas day and came rapidly up behind some old chap doing 40mph. A LOT MORE DANGEROUS than doing 90 in my opinion.

Well, in that case its the law that needs changing. But whilst the law is that there is a flat speed limit for each type of road, surely we should be either enforcing the law or changing it.

In theory the police do not get to decide which laws they enforce, they have to do everything within their ability to enforce all laws.

Originally posted by Clumber

Wrong - its 2 years.

I stand corrected, cheers.

Never the less, just be carefull out there you new drivers, it could be easy to get caught out.