Collecting plastic milk bottle tops for charity

I was asked to collect plastic tops (milk, coke bottles etc). If they collected the weight of a wheel chair then they could get one from somewhere?? I'm not sure of the details as this was someone from play group who has now left. I now have a bag of plastic lids that i don't know what to do with. Is anyone else collecting them for charity or can someone tell me where I can send them.

Thanks

JO

whereabouts are you our playgroup collects them in hillsborough

I have been collecting them & passing on to afriend through work, I think its for a child at her nieces school & that is deepcar/stocksbridge area.

Sorry I can't be more help.

Joanne, thanks for your reply. I think that I may go to the same playgroup, (I go on a thursday)!!! I was told last week that they are no longer collecting and we have been trying to find somebody else who can make use of them. Any ideas?!

Jo

Threads about these were from a couple of years ago:

is anyone collecting these for any charities these days?

Did anyone raise any cash through them?

Anybody want some?

I was left with lots of lids & found a use for them by using them in bottom of plant pots instead of broken pots.

We had an email at work about collecting plastic bottle tops for charity and it was discovered to be a scam so please take care just in case there is a similar scam going round again.

We had an email at work about collecting plastic bottle tops for charity and it was discovered to be a scam so please take care just in case there is a similar scam going round again.

My mate Richard at our workplace was doing something similar. They ended up in the recycling as it all fell through. So be careful

They are collecting them at the Coop in Norton Lees in Hollythorpe. so presumably someone is still collecting them for the wheelchairs.

hi

Sorry to let you know this is an absolute scam / urban myth, brought over from the USA.

Basically anyone anywhere can collect anything recyclable and cash the weight in at a plastics/metal/paper recycling place - then use the money to buy what they like. Nowhere on this earth swaps plastic bottle tops for wheelchairs - there is just one company on the south coast that will pay you a scrap plastic value/cash for plastic bottle tops. You can then use this cash as you wish - ie to fund the payment for a wheelcahir/clothes/holiday/gas bill, or whatever you fancy. you need to collect a minimum TONNAGE to do this....a ton of bottletops is going to fill shefield arena never mind a playgroups cupboard/someones recycling bin!

if you think about it logically, why collect bottle tops? They are tiny and weigh little, with a minimal value. therefore it will take a very very long time to collect the amount needed to 'cash in' with the recycling company at the value of a paediatric wheelchair (££££s).

Why not collect aluminium drinking cans, plastic bottles rather than just the tops, or even scrap metal? You'd collect the amount needed for the equivalent value of a wheelchair or whatever faster and get better value.

The myth has come from the USA - where its substantially easier to get cash payments for anything scrap/recyclable and a community group once used the CASH FROM RECYCLING to buy a childs wheelchair. Myth then came over to the Uk and has been doing the rounds for years

collect something anything recyclable - cash it in - use money as you wish.

Sorry to bring bad news

XGX

i collect them for a wheelchair user he gets 5p per lid i send mine 2 a home 4 the elderly

£50 per TON of plastic bottle tops = 100 black bin liners of bottle tops. Wheelchairs cost £250 for a self propelled one, hundreds more for an electronic one. You'd need 5 TONS of plastic bottle tops ....

someone may get 5p per top, but he wont be getting the tops 'swapped' for a wheelcahir though. he gets to use the 5p as he wishes. as do any of the charities or playgroups etc who collect the tops - and then spend the money as they wish. just goes he's a wheelcahir user doesn't mean he has to spend this 5p on a wheelchair.

apparently you can have bottle tops melted down to form dog/cat bowls too.

google 'plastic bottle tops wheelchair' and its quite an interesting read

XGX