Pit Slag Heaps at the Manor Top

Well rather than be accused of being a person of the category you describe, - I take it you mean a 'know-it-all' ?, I can only suggest you consult the card catalogue in the Local Studies Library where I'm sure you'll find references to material they hold about Messrs. T. W. Ward and Co.

Good luck !

Please don't take it the wrong way. I've now clarified the post. OK?

Please don't take it the wrong way. I've now clarified the post. OK?

I was being a bit sarcastic, the forumers might have to get use to that from me from time to time! Anyway the reply thing hadn't got one of these :hihi: to put on!

Your dead lucky with the replies to your threads some already on the Wards. When I do them sod all:cry: Except Bus seats! :huh:

I was being a bit sarcastic, the forumers might have to get use to that from me from time to time! Anyway the reply thing hadn't got one of these :hihi: to put on!

Your dead lucky with the replies to your threads some already on the Wards. When I do them sod all:cry: Except Bus seats! :huh:

If you ask you often get replies. If you don't no one can read your mind!!

not Manor Top but I seem to remember turning up to play football at Pipworth Junior and I'm sure their pitch was a leveled out slag heap. Can anybody remember this? I must be talking late 50s or early 60s

not Manor Top but I seem to remember turning up to play football at Pipworth Junior and I'm sure their pitch was a leveled out slag heap. Can anybody remember this? I must be talking late 50s or early 60s

There was no pit on the Pipworth site, the nearest would be over where Manor Park Center is.

Maybe they used it to level the field or perhaps natural.

By the way if you dig up coal in your back garden on in this area it belongs to (I think) the ancestors of The Nunnery Colliery, or the NCB, or whatever it is now.

Shakespeare,please get in touch with me,as I think we know eachother.I was into Woodthorpe Hall when I visited you.

Prior to 1946. When I lived on Windy House Lane on the Manor Estate as children we would sometimes play on rafts. One being on a pit pond behind Prince Edwards School.

From the Manor Top, going down toward intake on Mansfield Road, just after the first road junction on the right, two pit slag heaps existed on either side of the road. We had rafts on both the ponds that was behind these slag heaps.

What I never knew was:- Where was the pit that created the slag heap?

hiya my father in law used to talk about playing in this area when he was young, name Albert Brown (parrot) lived on fitzhubert rd. He would have loved all this.

i remember the pitch,cant say if it was an old slag heap or not though,but i do remember there was lots of ash and slate that formed a sort of slag in the bowden woods or bonio to the locals,there was also a large wooden circle that we thought was a water container/swimming pool in the woods, can you remember it ? i once found a very rusty oxydized axe head in the woods,the museum said it was made by two blacksmith brothers in darnall many many years ago, it was slightly convexed ,they said this would have left the tree with a sort of bowl effect to aid in it's rotting.

i spent many happy years in those woods around 1958 to 1970, i can even remember there was a park keeper that passed through on occasions..:hihi:

re-T W WARD I KNOW THEY HAD SHIP BREAKING FACILITYS IN SCOTLAND,& BROKE UP MANY A FAMOUS WARSHIP!.

[ Hi Please bear with me as Im a newly reg.member and Im not used to the system. The replies about the pit heaps where the new fire station is Im very grateful for. I have wondered all my life about the history of these,as I used to play on these 70 years ago.About this time I remember going with my father to get a bag coal from a pit which was situated maybe 150 yards below the Rex cinema,and push it on a push chair to Wulfric Rd.,wher we lived. As Ive only just reg. with S.F. I find this discussion group fascinating,and would like to thank you all. P.S. Im hopng that I CAN FIND the right boxes to click onto in order for you to receive this message,as this is my very 1st.post.!