Sign in to follow this  

What to do with old pc?

As I have successfully managed to blag a fab laptop from work I have decided the time is right to say good bye to my old pc.:cry:

It's a packard bell, running on windows 95 32mb RAM, 4.3 GB (I'm not a techie, just got this off the instruction leaflet) and the geeks at work say it's only suitable for the bin.

It's about 5 years old and despite being unreliable when on the net, it's fine when using all other programmes.

Are they right?

And if so, are there special places to dump it - surely I shouldn't just put it in the bin?

Any suggestions?

I'll take it if you no longer have use for it! I know someone who could give it a good home!

i think there is a company near manor top called "Recycle IT" who might have it :) i think they do up PC's and sell them on at cost

or...

you could donate it to charity, or give it to a family member without a PC for the kids etc.

or to dabouncer ;) infact the latter is probably better, because of strict guidelines you have to adhere to when giving away hardware to charity

DB it's yours, I've pm'd you.

RPG thanks for that - someone did say there's problems with charities due to rules n regulations but a shame to throw it away. Glad it's going to a good home!

I'll make sure it's looked after... I'll even tell em it's called Blondee!

Flippy heck! Talk about cheek! I wish id had got in there sooner ;-) only I was stuffing my cake hole with some nice indian food! :D

Originally posted by blondee

...the geeks at work say it's only suitable for the bin.

If they were proper geeks, they'd have told you that you should install Linux on it and use it as a web server.

As for it's worth, a month or so ago, a friend at work sold a higher spec PC to another collegue for a packet of Ready Salted crisps!

Originally posted by blondee

DB it's yours, I've pm'd you.

RPG thanks for that - someone did say there's problems with charities due to rules n regulations but a shame to throw it away. Glad it's going to a good home!

Make sure you delete all your naughty pics first:P

talking of "naughty pics" not that I have any of course!:D How can I ensure pc will not have any traces of me on it?

You will have to format your hard drive and reinstall the operating system to remove all traces. I think you need to create a new active partition as well during the format. I have done it in the past (with help from an expert) when my pc got so clogged up (not with naughty pics) it slowed to a crawl.

If you have Windows 95 Disc you can reinstall it and it will wipe the contents (including all previous programmes). Which might be a good idea then whatever gets put on can be fresh.

I have Windows 98 disc and will be happy to reinstall it when I get it home. Just depends if you trust me enough to do it for you.

Originally posted by RPG

i think there is a company near manor top called "Recycle IT" who might have it :) i think they do up PC's and sell them on at cost

These people do good things with 'redundant' pc's including teaching pc/internet skills for free, free computer use in sheff - all using free OS and free software. They're based round the corner from the station and are great people if you fancy just dropping in.