To the Egit on Rivelin Valley Road on Friday

On Friday (18th) I was lucky enough to have some time off uni after a assgnment hand in and decided to make the most of it and take my pony for a little ride.

We were heading down Rivelin Valley Road towards Manchester road. I was wearing a flourescent builders jacket and Milo (the pony) had a flourescent neck band, and 4 flourescent boots on, so we were pretty visable. Just before the old hospital a lorry comes round the corner towards us, followed by two cars. 1st car behind the lorry decides to overtake despite there a) not being enough room and b) seriously not having the power to do so.

Needless to say, Milo was not best impressed about this car revving very loudly and heading straight for him and I don't think I have ever been quite so scared. We pulled as far over as we could, stopped and hoped for the best as the car swerved in next to us. Poor little Milo had some sort of hernia about this whole affair and tried to depsoit me in a hedge at the edge of the road, and as a result was like some possessed wild animal for the next 20 minutes.

So, to the man that did it, and I'm pretty sure he'd remember, may I suggest that you read the highway code and perhaps open you eyes.

....and to the lady behind him, thanks for your conern and understanding!

And just before anyone tells me all the reasons I was wrong.

We were top to bottom flourescent.

We were riding correctly on the far left

Yes, we do have liability insurance just like car owners

And idiot drivers apart, Milo is perfectly safe to be on the road

Some drivers are simply idiots... passing a driving test requires very little intelligence!

viki.....there are some bad drivers around for sure and I do have some sympathy for you.

I have got to ask though, why do you need to take Milo on to the road? Do you need to take him from stable to field for instance?

Reason I ask, is that I do not personally like to see horses/ponies on our roads........most are fine, but due to the unpredictable nature of animals, their presence scares me and I fear for their own and their riders safety.

Are they just not better suited to the correct environment?

viki.....there are some bad drivers around for sure and I do have some sympathy for you.

I have got to ask though, why do you need to take Milo on to the road? Do you need to take him from stable to field for instance?

Reason I ask, is that I do not personally like to see horses/ponies on our roads........most are fine, but due to the unpredictable nature of animals, their presence scares me and I fear for their own and their riders safety.

Are they just not better suited to the correct environment?

I agree. Animals in a road are dangerous full stop. i dont fancy a horse landing on me through my windscreen.

whats an egit?

Like an idiot..........but dafter:)

This is the road where many of the trees and lamp posts wear flowers with little messages attached to them.

You'd think these gentle reminders would be enough to get these morons to slow down but I'd guess their philosophy is that it wouldn't happen to them...,

I know the feeling well vicky,

I used to ride this route very regularly & there are some complete idiots use the road.

Hoorses get trained how to behave whilst in a traffic environment, you'd have thought the drivers should have been too.

Now i dont ride a horse my self (i would love to) but cars are the modern horse and cart (E.G how car engines are measured in HORSE power) but i disagree with budlover, a horse is still and always was a form of transport so why should they not be on the road, at least she has insurance unlike MANY moterist on the road.

there are some complete idiots use the road

What, like horse riders? Why do they have to be on our roads anyway?

In a perfect world they'd be banned from all roads. Not to everyone's liking I'm sure, but in my view if you can't control your animal on a public highway, where people can drive legally at 40mph, you shouldn't be there.

It's a bit like me taking a traction engine on the M1, is it not?

Now i dont ride a horse my self (i would love to) but cars are the modern horse and cart (E.G how car engines are measured in HORSE power) but i disagree with budlover, a horse is still and always was a form of transport so why should they not be on the road, at least she has insurance unlike MANY moterist on the road.

Well said Akita :)

What, like horse riders? Why do they have to be on our roads anyway?

In a perfect world they'd be banned from all roads. Not to everyone's liking I'm sure, but in my view if you can't control your animal on a public highway, where people can drive legally at 40mph, you shouldn't be there.

It's a bit like me taking a traction engine on the M1, is it not?

The horse was perfectly well controlled by the sound of things, it was the nutter in the car who wasn't in control.