Ecclesall road chippy

Does anyone remember a chip shop on eccelsall road

opposite the Devonshire and just down from the Earl Gray.My mother used to take me there when i was a nipper.I always remember dinner times;it was full of people from james neill and

twist drill and the old couple who worked there always arguing.There

fish and chips were fantastic.

was the Earl Gray opposite the Devonshire?

i remember the pub if it is, but not the chippy.

Yes the Earl Grey was opposite the Devonshire and the New Inn,I also remember it had a apple tree in it's garden.

is ti the one that used to be on the corner of summerfield st ?

used to work at James Neils and as a junior went with a big carboard box every Friday to this chippie for the mens dinners. Remember their fishcakes, large chunks of lovely fish in them.

Jewelers opposite called Osbert and Skinners and a paper shop.

im thinking of the one opposite the wards brewery

It used to on the same side as Wards,just down from the Earl Grey.I think the old

couple who owned it had the surname Wall?I've faint memories of my grandmother

calling it Wall's fish shop.

Im sure many years ago there used to be a 'Dales Chippy' some where behind Ecclessall Rd, near Hunters Bar roundabout

that could be the one on sharrowvale rd opposite two steps ?

My name was Anne Williams then and I was 17. I used to go the the chippie on Ecclesall Road lots, there fishcakes were the best but not as good as Norahs on Sharrow Lane.

The flats were just being built on Exeter Drive then and everyone was clammoring to get one.

How times change and not for the better.

Dales And Two Steps chippies were alright, but by far the more superior chips came from Hing Lung the Chinese take away a little further up Sharrowvale Rd. Nice crisp and freshly cut and cooked, I never got warmed up leftovers from dinnertime or the night before from Hing Lung. The last time I went in the same girl who used to serve me thirty years ago was still working there.

Someone mentioned the chip-shop at the corner of Ecclesall Road & Summerfield Street. In the '50's and for some time after, it was called ' Middleton's '. The owners had a son, David, who went to Pomona St. School. He would be about 67 years old now. Anyone know what became of the family, incidentally ?