John Baker & Sons Malinda St.

Does anyone have any memories of this company, engaged in the manufacture of files until the early seventies, I believe. This was the family business, established in 1837. I'm desperate for any information, however slight.

zxnickbaker, i worked there from 1971 to 1974, me and my brother worked there, im gary bowskill my brother was kelvin bowskill, that was my first job after leaving school, i still got plenty of memories. OMG

Thank you for replying, I'd love to hear any memories you have. How many people worked there, what happened to the company? Do you remember my grandfather (the last John Baker)? We used to spend Christmases there in the fifties and sixties when he lived at Whirlow Lane. Anything you can remember really.

Best regards

Nick Baker (middle name John)

I saw some posts asking about people who worked at John Baker & Sons on Malinda Street Sheffield in the 70's  I worked there 74/75 as office clerk.  My boss was the owner at that time Mr Bernard Ballington.  

My name in 1973-4 was then Angela Harrison.  I worked at John Bakers on Malinda Street, the person who owned the company then was called Bernard Ballington,

I worked in the main office as a junior, I was 17 years old, and every time I got sent downstairs to the manufacturing area, I got my leg pulled so many times.

Edited by HeHasRisen

Angela (or anyone else)...do you know if the building that housed John Baker and Sons is still standing in Malinda Street.  I visited once to see if I could find it but there were no clues so perhaps that part of the street has been demolished?

I have lived in New Zealand for many years, but visited back to Sheffield in 2016.  The building of John Bakers was called Monmouth Works and looks like it has been demolished.  I first thought it was the Malinda Street Works but I can't remember a road right on the corner.  Such a shame, I have fond memories of working there.

Thanks Angela. As you say, it's a shame the building has gone.

On 20/01/2008 at 19:18, zxnickbaker@ said:

Does anyone have any memories of this company, engaged in the manufacture of files until the early seventies, I believe. This was the family business, established in 1837. I'm desperate for any information, however slight.

Hi Nick,

There is a photo of a Landrover pulling a float in the Barlow Carnival in the '60s. On the door if the Landrover is written 'John Baker & Sons, Millard Street, Sheffield 1'.  The photo was published on the Facebook group 'Barlow Forum & History Group' and is captioned 'Barlow Parade 1960's'. There are a group of ladies on the back of the Landrover and trailer and two gents in the front seats. I'm afraid I can't post the photo as I  don't have permissions.