Any Lotus Elise owners in Sheffield?

Hi

If anyome out there owns an Elise, can you let me know how you find owning one in this city of potholes and speed bumps?

I am considering getting one, and wondered if any local owners can share their experiences? Also, any info on running costs would be of interest too, including any garages used for servicing.

Cheers in advance:)

Hi

If anyome out there owns an Elise, can you let me know how you find owning one in this city of potholes and speed bumps?

I am considering getting one, and wondered if any local owners can share their experiences? Also, any info on running costs would be of interest too, including any garages used for servicing.

Cheers in advance:)

Bought one last year, don't live there, but the roads here are similar, so I suffered greatly on the freeway, had to get shut of it because it was wrecking my back, luckily brother in law bought it, so wasn't too much out of pocket.

I still hanker for small sports car but the roads make it impossible, so replaced it with very powerful SUV, pity.

Sorry, just noticed you asked about running costs. I only had mine for 6 months and bought it from new so don't know, I don't take much notice of petrol consumption but I'd imaging you would get better than me anyways since the petrol is so different.

I'll ask my bro-inlaw what he's been spending on it since I gave it to him in april, he's a surgeon and is anally retentive, so will have it down to the last cent. But my guess is things are cheaper here so it might give you the wrong impression.

Thanks Wolfstalin

I guess you are in the US right? As you mention, petrol is a little more expensive over here! Thanks Gordon!

I know that they are reasonably good on fuel for a sports car, because they are lightweight and not over powered. My current car is a Mitsubishi FTO, and its getting rather thirsty nowadays. I wanted a replacement car that was going to give me driving fun, but not be so gas guzzling. Although the insurance costs may make up for that.

Thanks for your reply.

I have driven/owned a few sports cars.

I was quite unimpressed it was a fairly standard 2001 but honestly i thought it was overrated. Underpowered, steering a bit sloppy and generally not anything like I had been expecting. My recent car was a 182 clio cup and I think I had more fun in that, maybe look at a few other 'hot hatches' as they deal with the roads in Sheffield much better too.

What's the published consumption there, and yes I'm on the west coast.

It was other costs I was referring too, for instance Mobil one six Lt oil change, plus flush, plus good filter costs me $63.oo, and they do a 27 point check and fill for fluids for that, and a free car wash (normally $6). I don't change the tires out on the elise but I did for the new car, 235-19-60 Kumo VR rated and that cost me 200$ cash (off book) with 'old tires' as trade in, stock tires that came with it were crapola. New speedo (electronic laser) 135$, new heated front seats, full electric ect were 900$, new chip set and program for a little more power was 600$.

How would that compare locally.

Hi

Not really sure about local prices, still researching really. Some of the consumable components i saw on some web site didnt look too expensive when compared to other sports cars I have had. Early versions of the Elise had a Rover K series engine, and parts for that are easy to come by and quite cheap I think.

I asked the bro-inlaw and he says he gets 18 in town and 23 highway, thats different from published figures and remember to add 25% to these figures to account for US v UK gal, plus something for octane, here its running on 91.

Its interesting because mine is a 3.5lt Honda V6, standard its 252 BPH, mine is 310 and I'm getting 18 in town and 22 highway on 87 octane.

Speedyjim has an elise, although not in Sheffield anymore.

I'd think that you should see 30mpg unless you start thrashing it, it's just a 1.8ltr rover engine afterall.

SJ seemed to be constantly spending money on his, mainly on suspension parts, but then it was a fairly old one...

bible, I was wondering about prices over there for the car itself, the published price here is between 42 and 50 K, I got mine, top spec for 39 cash, I think that's about 18k in pounds.

We have had two, both series one models with the standard engine. The first we had from new when they were first released and the second we had for a couple of years and sold it two years ago. We ran both as second cars to be honest but loved every minute of both of them.

They are light, agile and dance on the road completely unlike anything else we have had which goes from RS Fords to M series BMW's. The one's we had hardly used any petrol and we took them to a guy near Huddersfield who is brilliant at setting them up and doesn't charge a fortune (google Chris Foulds Honley).

We test drove a 111S but didn't feel it offered anything over the standard one. We haven't driven a series 2 at all but all the tests seem to rate the base model as the best buy.

We had no problems with the suspension on the roads in Sheffield. The worst bit is if you are on the motorway in heavy rain level with lorries wheelnuts, you become aware of how closely related the Elise is to a plastic bath in terms of fragility.

I would like another one but prefer the looks of the series 1, but then I am nearing old fart territory now. Oh, take up yoga it helps with getting in and out when the roof is on.

We have had two, both series one models with the standard engine. The first we had from new when they were first released and the second we had for a couple of years and sold it two years ago. We ran both as second cars to be honest but loved every minute of both of them.

They are light, agile and dance on the road completely unlike anything else we have had which goes from RS Fords to M series BMW's. The one's we had hardly used any petrol and we took them to a guy near Huddersfield who is brilliant at setting them up and doesn't charge a fortune (google Chris Foulds Honley).

We test drove a 111S but didn't feel it offered anything over the standard one. We haven't driven a series 2 at all but all the tests seem to rate the base model as the best buy.

We had no problems with the suspension on the roads in Sheffield. The worst bit is if you are on the motorway in heavy rain level with lorries wheelnuts, you become aware of how closely related the Elise is to a plastic bath in terms of fragility.

I would like another one but prefer the looks of the series 1, but then I am nearing old fart territory now. Oh, take up yoga it helps with getting in and out when the roof is on.

Cheers Pete Jim

We have a second car, our family motor for the kids etc. If I get an Elise, it will be for me getting to and from work, Carterknowle to Meadowhall each day, plus having fun at weekends. In your opinion, would it be a viable proposition or would the impracticality drive me mental? I have had, still do have actually, a Mk2 MR2, also 2 seater, but a bit more substantial. That was cool, but also comfortable too. Just cant decide if an Elise would be too far the bad side of radical as my everyday car.