Hillsborough today

I've been to a football match or two and I know a couple of semi professionals (not that I could tell you which team they play for). The game bores me rigid so this was not time well spent.

What do I know about footballers? Well, Wayne Rooney reportedly enjoys dalliances with prostitutes, Stan Collymore was a wife beater, Joey Barton is presently banged up awaiting trial, those lads from Leeds who beat up that youth. And professional footballers are the people who the media hold up as role models? I'm sure that charitable work is all well and good, maybe it balances out the Karma of spit roasting a silly impressionable teenager the night before.

The only reason these "slack jawed idiots" pay more tax than me is because a club is prepared to pay them X million a year to kick a ball around a pitch. Remove their ability to do that and I'm sure they'd work their way up to team leader in Maccy D's in a year or two.

Speak to real grass roots fans, and I doubt you'll find any hero worship about the three players you mention.

Couple this with the reasons already stated and you have my basis for hating football - It's a boring sport given far too much credence and where wife beaters, violent beggars and practicer's of dubious sexual practices are inflated to Godlike status.

Much the same as in many other professions.

The only footballers I can cite as good eggs are John Barnes and Gary Lineker ...... And that's me wracking my brains.

So the reason why the sport is awful is summed up by citing three players who have a chequered history, but two are ok.

Millions more who play, let alone watch, are clearly wrong.

Lets just have a reality check regarding someone opening the tram doors to allow people to get off , what they did in the circumstances was wrong and probably illegal , however , I was concerned about a earlier posting saying that the tram staff had "sealed the doors".

It is a legal requirement that the doors can be opened in an emergency , most reasonable people would equate that the circumstances above were not an emergency, however, the people who are saying the doors should be sealed so the public can not open them should really look at what they are saying, it is a HMRI requirement that doors can be opened by the public for emergency use imagine the howls of protest on this thread if an accident or something else occurred and the passengers couldn’t get off because the doors were sealed.

what clot thought it would be a good idea for a derby match to be played at Hillsborough on the busiest day of the week for small traders. I realise that my piddley contribution to the wealth of Sheffield City Council, a mere fourteen thousand pounds a year is small potato's compared to the might of Sky Sports but surely the match could have been played on Sunday with much less disruption to local trade.At lunchtime today most of the businesses in Hillsborough had to close thier security shutters. Not only small businesses like mine but also national companies, Superdrug, Woolworth, Spec Savers To name but a few

Back to the original quote for a minute, I went down the shopping precinct 30 minutes before kick off. It was packed with rowdy fans and there was a big potential for trouble, the police managed to move them through reasonably quick. 5 minutes after kick off it was like nothing had happened and the shops were trading as normal.

So basically what you are saying is you lost a whole days trading when effectively you could have "closed for Lunch"???

I think what people seem to be missing here is that the OP is a business owner in Hillsborough, only they know how much it has effected their business takings. In many smaller retails shops Saturday's trading can account for up to 50% of the weeks takings. I can understand about bringing the game forward to an earlier kick off but from a retail point of view it simply made the shopping hours less as people didn't want to be around before kick or after the match.

As for people saying 'open up Sunday' :loopy: what a silly thing to say, in retail it isn't as easy as opening a different day. In my opinion it would have made more sense to do what they often do in the Manchester derby, they play the game on Sunday at an earlier time.

Before people start, I too work in Hillsborough and saw first hand how the game on Saturday effected trading, but also I am a football fan and can see how much football does for the community.

I think what people seem to be missing here is that the OP is a business owner in Hillsborough, only they know how much it has effected their business takings. In many smaller retails shops Saturday's trading can account for up to 50% of the weeks takings. I can understand about bringing the game forward to an earlier kick off but from a retail point of view it simply made the shopping hours less as people didn't want to be around before kick or after the match.

As for people saying 'open up Sunday' :loopy: what a silly thing to say, in retail it isn't as easy as opening a different day. In my opinion it would have made more sense to do what they often do in the Manchester derby, they play the game on Sunday at an earlier time.

Before people start, I too work in Hillsborough and saw first hand how the game on Saturday effected trading, but also I am a football fan and can see how much football does for the community.

As the co-owner of Corner News (opposite the CO-OP) I can honestly say it was one of the best Saturday's trading we have ever had.

We made the decision to stay open as normal, and it proved to be the correct one. The Sunday was good again with people wanting the Green Un' and the match reports in the papers....:)

As the co-owner of Corner News (opposite the CO-OP) I can honestly say it was one of the best Saturday's trading we have ever had.

We made the decision to stay open as normal, and it proved to be the correct one. The Sunday was good again with people wanting the Green Un' and the match reports in the papers....:)

Green 'Un sales down this side of town were down a little though :D

I think there is always trouble somewhere when a local derby is played . Football is a very emotive subject more so than politics:hihi: As for huge number of police I for one welcomed them as an array of fans can be itimidating to an individual. I started a thread about this the effects of the derby but for some unknown reason it was transferred to the football section:huh:

As a licensees daughter ,our pub was on Penistone road in the glory days of the Owls

We opened every match day and were very reliant on the trade it brought in before and after a match, we never had any trouble

My mum firmly believed that trying to stop people coming in agitated further

We had a reputation as an Owls pub that welcomed all