Should SWFC be kicked out of FA Cup...

..... for intentionally getting Tuesday's Cup Match called off?

see link:

http://www.thestar.co.uk/sportheadlines/LATEST-Laws-39very-confident39-of.3683876.jp

Clearly they had a pitch cover, and undersoil heating, prior to Tuesday's rain, but obviously didn't use it.

Then Fatty Laws comes out on Tuesday and says that he's pretty pleased it got called off because players were carrying knocks, and Robson would have been in crowd to scout them out.

And now, with two further days of rain to go, the pitch is going to be fine.

Kick them out of the CUP - even though they'll go out anyway!

To be honest, whilst I believe there is foul play from Wednesday, it would be virtually impossible to prove.

The cover will have been rented from somewhere after the abandonment of the Derby game. The undersoil heating may or may not have been on, but I can't see that affecting the amount of water in the pitch by much.

I do however believe there may have been some watering of the pitch to make it worse than it was. But is this cheating or cleverness? I think both.

my original post was more tongue in cheek than anything....... but they certainly got tuesday's game postponed intentionally.

my original post was more tongue in cheek than anything....... but they certainly got tuesday's game postponed intentionally.

how do you know it was a certainty?

The undersoil heating now being switched on will just help dry the pitch out, but without the cover it would have no effect what so ever.

I just believe they didn't know if the ammount of rainfall predicted for mon/tue would effect the pitch that much, but now with the second abandonment of the season, they realise they've got to splash (excuse the pun) the cash and rent a cover to prevent further problems.

A cover is by no means a great idea for grass, but it will help temporarily.

It seems that SWFC have forked out £15k for the hire of the cover. So the possibility of losing cash from Sky has probably played a part in the decision.

Undersoil does not make any difference to a waterlogged pitch. What did you want them to do boil the pitch :hihi:

I am sure a certain mr richards will have a word with brooking to learn how to deflect any thoughts of this.:)

I am amazed though that a massive club like the blue lot haven't the means or knowledge to try and save a pitch that has been down only 6 months.

How much would a new pitch cost if it needed to be relaid.

From the picture i saw the pitch looked seriously damaged.

Now take what i have said and think how cricket grounds act when there is rain, instant cover.

Now i am only assuming this but i would think that the groundstaff are salaried so it would be only a few phonecalls for help to be found.

So as the question suggets was there foul play?

Undersoil does not make any difference to a waterlogged pitch. What did you want them to do boil the pitch :hihi:

no - but extra rain does - so a cover would have been a good call before now!

they might of not realised the rain would give the pitch this much trouble, maybe the rain covers were wrecked in the floods and they hadnt replaced it yet thinking the pitch would hold out. i cant remember the last time we had any game canceled because of a waterlogged pitch, only since the flooding has it got so bad. after the floods they said it could take upto a year for the ground to get back to how it was. i cant see why they would intentionally get it cancelled, not worth the trouble. are you going to use this as an excuse if you get beat on saturday

There are many reasons why it would be a good idea to cancel the game.

So they can have it in good enough condition to play the game against us which is on sky and this brings tv money.

Injuries to 4 players who are now being given fitness tests.

To stop Bryan Robson getting a good view of your lot live before the game on Saturday.

To make sure no players were as fatigued as they may be.

To try and be able to sell more tickets for the re-arranged game next week.

They're just off top of my head too.

Or could it be more sinister than that Robbie?

The Times article i mentioned in an earlier post suggested Wednesday had to sell possibly 5 players to stave off administration.

Now if i had an eye on a player i wanted to buy i wouldn't want him playing any more games in the bad conditions that are sweeping the country.

It is all if's and buts but it does make you wonder.

Now didn't the blue lot find something to say about the battle of bramall lane?

Shoe on other foot and they dont like it.

But it could also be taking them out the shop window by not enabling them to play in a game where it is an easier time to watch a player.