The Red Lion Book Club

I am missing a chess match to join the group tomorrow night, but I did miss the last one.

Hello Book Club,

I'm a newbie on here and wondered if you didn't mind me joining your club?:help:

I'm not going to be able to make the 12 March meet, which is a shame, but wondered what other dates you all had in mind?

Currently plowing my way through Grapes of Wrath at the minute (no pun intended!:gag:), but if you let me know which other books you have on the horizon over the coming weeks i'll crack on.

Thanks.

I was just looking back through the thread to check what time we meet and saw this.... I'm named (partly) after a character in Grapes of Wrath! Maybe that's why I'm such an avid reader...

See you all tomorrow.

Have decided to give Salsa a miss though to discuss Mister Pip

I am missing a chess match to join the group tomorrow night

Such commitment towards Mister Pip. Then I too will forego my yoga class in an attempt to get there on time.

As I understand it there might be a few new people tonight: shlg; red_hearts; ms_contrary? and of course the return of GT and Code13.

Should be interesting...

Sadly I'm not going to be able to make it, feeling full of cold/flu. I'd like a recap though, was looking forward to the discussion of this one.

Have fun and I hope you choose a good one ofr after brick lane!

Hi everyone, I'm really sorry - I didn't make it last night. I got stuck in North Yorks with a broken down car. I only got home at about 9pm. Nightmare!

That said, I really really loved the book so thank you for choosing it Pupster.

I'll be happy to join you in a recap next time Jem as I was also looking forward to discussing it too.

I'll definitely (car allowing!) be there for the next one though.

Shauna

I had a lovely time last night - thanks, everybody!

I arrived at work feeling a little bit delicate, and I'm not sure my colleague believed me when I said it was because I'd been to a book club...

Did we say Thursday 10th April for the discussion of Brick Lane?

The next book - for the May meeting - will be The Book Thief by Marcus Zusak: see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Book_Thief if you like finding out about a book before you read it.

I'd like a recap though, was looking forward to the discussion of this one.

Hi JemT,

There was quite a lot of discussion about Mister Pip. What did you like about it?

For me the crux of the book came when Mr Watts was chopped up and fed to the pigs and the Redskin officer then asked "Who saw this?" I asked myself the question - would I have stepped forward like Matilda's Mum and Daniel or would I have lowered my eyes like Matilda and the others?

I'm pretty sure I'd have lowered my eyes like the rest of them. I loved the sense of unease and tension through the whole book, and the relationship between Mathilda and Watts.

I'd like to say otherwise but I think I'd have been the same.

How are people finding Brick Lane?

Hmmm - I've only just started it so I'll have to let you know later. I hope it isn't too dull though...

I'd like to say otherwise but I think I'd have been the same.

How are people finding Brick Lane?

I'm finding it harder to engage with than Mr Pip, but that's partly because I haven't had any big chunks of time to read it in. I'm at Chapter 5 and I haven't really developed an opinion yet....